Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA claims I was a "no show" , cancelled rest of itin -- but I did actually fly!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, United Plat
No, once I achieved Gold status I have been able to reserve economy plus at booking. For the times when I was sub-Gold, I paid the additional cost at booking to ensure I reserved an Eco-plus seat.

Having a subscription to Eco-plus, or even if I had had a full fare first ticket, would not have helped me in this situation. My space got filled by someone else once my ticket was cancelled, and there was nowhere else to put me.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by halls120
I've been 1K for 5 years, and PE for 8 years before that, and I've never had UA tell me I wasn't on a flight that I actually flew on.
It happened to me on my first two itins after the shares cutover. On the first itin, first segment, the GA came on board to look for me in BKK because I had otherwise been listed as a no-show.

A week later my JFK-SFO r/t return was canceled because I hadn't boarded my flight in JFK. Pleading my case from SFO the return was reinstated along with the upgrade.

It happens and whomever it hasn't happened to then you should view yourself lucky rather than skeptical.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:48 am

This happened to me (1k) once about 1.5 years ago, but it was at least partly due to irrops. Just another unfortunate reason why it is so important to babysit reservations if you want to have a smooth experience.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: UA PremExec
This a happened to me. I still recall telling the agent that I had my boarding pass and he told me that was not proof that I was on the flight! He said system showed I was not on it…"the system does not lie" was his exact quote. Then I told I him I had a cc receipt for a purchase of wine on the flight. I asked, "Is this a fraudulent charge to my account by UA?" I then told him to get me supervisor who then reinstated my return flight. Hence, now I always purchase something on every flight!
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:05 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
Just wondering, even though you're 1K, would an Economy Plus subscription give you additional peace of mind that you won't ever have to sit in Economy Minus?
E+ subscription does not guarantee you seating in E+. The only benefit it provides is unlimited seating in E+ when it's available.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAkls
He said system showed I was not on it…"the system does not lie" was his exact quote.
My response would be: "In that case, sir, you have just implied that I am lying, and since I see no point in carrying on a discussion with someone who doesn't believe me, I will now hold for your immediate supervisor."
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Lets play devils advocate...

The OP takes alternate transportation to DFW for whatever reason (in my example, lets use American Airlines since they also fly NS on this route - Maybe the OP got a great one way fare on AA??)

the OP was traveling with a friend or family member on the IAD to DFW flight and gave him/her his credit card to make an onboard purchase. Not out of the realm of possibility, and this confirms only that something was purchased with the OP's credit card on that flight.

The passenger willing to vouch for him is in fact that friend or family member who had his CC.

OP lands, gets credit for the AA flight and subsequently calls UA to cry foul.

all the while keep in mind that the gate agent conveniently destroyed his receipt which would have made for an excellent confirmation of him being on the flight.

As for the gate checked bag, that also could have been gate checked by the OP's co conspirator.

Last point, the question must be asked, as a 1K, wouldn't the OP be the recipient of free drink coupons, and wouldn't that make the odds of him actually buying a drink on this short flight remote at best?

Not out of the realm of uncertainty...just playing devils advocate. Nothing personal of course to the OP

Last edited by DL2SXM; Oct 7, 2014 at 10:31 am
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, HHonors Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis First
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Lets play devils advocate...

The OP takes alternate transportation to DFW for whatever reason (in my example, lets use American Airlines since they also fly NS on this route - Maybe the OP got a great one way fare on AA??)

the OP was traveling with a friend or family member on the IAD to DFW flight and gave him/her his credit card to make an onboard purchase. Not out of the realm of possibility, and this confirms only that something was purchased with the OP's credit card on that flight.

The passenger willing to vouch for him is in fact that friend or family member who had his CC.

OP lands, gets credit for the AA flight and subsequently calls UA to cry foul.

all the while keep in mind that the gate agent conveniently destroyed his receipt which would have made for an excellent confirmation of him being on the flight.

As for the gate checked bag, that also could have been gate checked by the OP's co conspirator.

Last point, the question must be asked, as a 1K, wouldn't the OP be the recipient of free drink coupons, and wouldn't that make the odds of him actually buying a drink on this short flight remote at best?

Not out of the realm of uncertainty...just playing devils advocate. Nothing personal of course to the OP
So why would OP pay twice for the same travel (one to UA and one to AA) in your example? Your theory makes no sense. And it is this cynical approach towards customers (war on customers in my opinion) that has got the UA where it is today.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by dsquared37
It happens and whomever it hasn't happened to then you should view yourself lucky rather than skeptical.
I don't think halls120 was being skeptical; rather, rebutting the other extreme. My UA history is very similar to halls120 (other than no longer being 1K in my case) and I've also not run into this problem.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by denuaflier
So why would OP pay twice for the same travel (one to UA and one to AA) in your example? Your theory makes no sense. And it is this cynical approach towards customers (war on customers in my opinion) that has got the UA where it is today.
I don't know what the motive would be... maybe an ultra cheap fare on AA, or maybe the OP flew Southwest into DAL... Either way, its possible with the right fare at the right price for this to happen. Like I said, just playing devils advocate and not making accusations.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I don't know what the motive would be... maybe an ultra cheap fare on AA, or maybe the OP flew Southwest into DAL... Either way, its possible with the right fare at the right price for this to happen. Like I said, just playing devils advocate and not making accusations.
It seems like you're a perfect candidate for an airline security job. We don't look for the most logical reason, but instead try to come up with the most convoluted possibilities.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
It seems like you're a perfect candidate for an airline security job. We don't look for the most logical reason, but instead try to come up with the most convoluted possibilities.
Its my job to poke holes in stories like this. Like I said, can it happen? Yes. did it in this case? maybe, maybe not.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, United Plat
If I wanted more United miles than I am earning, I would just purchase them, not conspire with friends and family to make it appear I'm on a plane when I'm not. I don't see why anyone would do that , to earn more PQM/PQS's to get a bump in status? I already have 1K status.

The perks with status are nice, but honestly once I got free Eco-Plus at booking, I had the perk that gives me the most value. That is why when the 'perk' was taken away by an error, and my flight went from uncomfortable to unhealthy/unbearable, I became upset.

I can pay more for first and have even more room, but as I pointed out, the class of my ticket would likely not have helped this situation.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
The blocked bulkheads, if not already assigned, will be available for you at check-in (including online check-in). Hop on as soon as you can check-in, because there will be Silvers looking for E+ and anyone who is connecting will get an earlier shot at them.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Yup. And while I've never experienced it personally as 1K, I did experience it previously under CO.

And despite not experiencing it personally as 1K, I have benefited several times from it, by way of VDBs when they've had to force others back on the flight after they were victimized by SHARES in this manner.
Perhaps currentUA and pmCO were more aggressive, but I've had this happen on pmUA 7-8 years ago over Thanksgiving -- in our case I had called a day or two before to get vouchers because the fare fare drop voucher (remember those days?), which apparently involved reticketing.

Checkin took a little long (remember how much typing they used to do, pre kiosk and pre web checkin?), because, it seems, the agent somehow managed to check us in with the old (exchanged) tickets. When we went to check in for the return, they agent said our tickets had been cancelled because we didn't fly the outbound. Luckily I had a couple of the BP stubs, and they eventually found that the old tickets had been used -- and fortunately there were still seats (together) available, but with 2 young children the weekend after Thanksgiving it could have been a major issue, especially if they'd refused to believe us or figure out what happened.

At the very least, I think they should send an email alert when you allegedly no-show warning that the onward flights are or may be cancelled, so it can be dealt with ASAP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.