Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
GS/Global Services is the highest tier of elite status. It is by invitation -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have significantly enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.

Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2016]
Thread on 2017 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2017 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts from United:

Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.

We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.

Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.
Known Award and Upgrade Benefits:

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if R inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business First with a GPU if PN inventory is available.
  • GS can upgrade business awards (IN or JN) into Polaris First with a GPU if ON inventory is available.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade under T-72 hours provided 2 seats remain for sale afterwards and they are at the top of the waitlist
  • GS can create saver Polaris First (O) space at T-72 hours if they are already booked in saver business (IN), provided one seat remains for sale after
  • GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available. UPDATE: as of 7/21/17 must have >2 for sale within 72hrs of flight
  • GS can upgrade a companion from coach to biz when flying on a paid biz fare, even if R or PN is not available, as long as J/F>1. Companion needs to be W or greater intl.
  • (Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare.)
  • GS cannot double upgrade. Economy -> PN -> ON is not allowed. *Some reports of TOD being offered at OLCI.
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2017

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Rules for PN are the same as for R or for that many any other inventory class. Flight usually come out of block with a specific allocation based on route and day/time, and then it's dynamic. If too few seats are sold as departure approaches, they will open inventory down the line.

There really isn't an "at 14 days" or similar rule to go by.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Question - when does UA typically open PN on international flights? Since I'm now GS for the first time and need to book an award ticket back to the States I'm looking for the elusive PN. Of course, I understand any answer is not hard proof that UA will open PN on any given flight. Just curious what the general consensus is.

I booked an 80K business one-way on OZ/UA. When I called GS and asked about finding PN (she also couldn't find any), I asked about booking the 40K economy UA ticket and waitlisting with the GPU. She told me not to do it since the system would see me with two reservations from Asia to the US on the same day and would cancel both. So now I find myself checking UA.com twice a day to see if PN opens up on any of the longhauls to the US.

Slightly frustrating to see the seat maps wide open, availability wide open but PN0. Two potential flights today opened up P space (P0 to P5) but still have PN0.

Thanks for your help. If I'm missing some GS benefit that would help me in this situation please let me know. Would rather use 40K + GPU than 80K miles so I can make use of a GS perk while I can. This will be my only year of GS as I'm Asia-based now and don't get to fly UA that much.

This is for a flight in May.

-RM
Call and ask . I recently got upgraded on a flight without PN "available". I had a GPU applied onto the PNR and called about my chances and the GS agent automatically offered to clear it for me. The fare class now says I'm PN but it was at PN0 before I called. My guess is that the system doesn't publish PN fares until they truly know they aren't going to sell the seats.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by findark
Rules for PN are the same as for R or for that many any other inventory class. Flight usually come out of block with a specific allocation based on route and day/time, and then it's dynamic. If too few seats are sold as departure approaches, they will open inventory down the line.

There really isn't an "at 14 days" or similar rule to go by.
The difference between PN and R, though, is its availability for immediate use. If PN>0, you can confirm into it immediately if you are eligible to utilize that space (fare class, MP status, etc.). R is not so simple... just because it shows R>0 does not mean you will get an immediate CPU even if you are in the time window and #1 priority to receive it. I have had very funny experiences with R space in the past before my GS days. Sometimes a really kind agent would allow me to confirm an instrument upgrade with R availability, but never a CPU, even when I was in the eligible time window and #1 on the priority list..... very interesting how these inventories are managed, and I imagine nobody here really knows the inner dealings, especially with R space.

Originally Posted by erickliu
Call and ask . I recently got upgraded on a flight without PN "available". I had a GPU applied onto the PNR and called about my chances and the GS agent automatically offered to clear it for me. The fare class now says I'm PN but it was at PN0 before I called. My guess is that the system doesn't publish PN fares until they truly know they aren't going to sell the seats.
Can they convert P into PN?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 30, 2017 at 10:03 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I was on the phone with GS this week and asked about this before having issues waitlisting a domestic "X" to "IN" segment as part of an 80K business award I already booked.

I did not specifically ask, "Can you convert P to PN for me?" I asked if she saw any flights that I could book at 40K and use a GPU and she said she checked them all and the answer was no. All the flights I'm looking at have 40K standard coach but none have PN.

-RM
Old Mar 30, 2017, 4:57 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

How soon before the flight did the agent clear this?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I was on the phone with GS this week and asked about this before having issues waitlisting a domestic "X" to "IN" segment as part of an 80K business award I already booked.

I did not specifically ask, "Can you convert P to PN for me?" I asked if she saw any flights that I could book at 40K and use a GPU and she said she checked them all and the answer was no. All the flights I'm looking at have 40K standard coach but none have PN.

-RM
The only reason I asked... if there is no PN, but P is available, I was wondering if they could convert P into PN, and then you use the GPU on the 40K ticket.... not sure if it is even possible.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA MP
Does anyone know what the threshold is to be eligible for CPUs? I heard that all domestic paid fares (any fare class) is eligible for CPU, is this true?
I know there are some international paid fares that are not eligible for GPU even.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
Does anyone know what the threshold is to be eligible for CPUs? I heard that all domestic paid fares (any fare class) is eligible for CPU, is this true?
I know there are some international paid fares that are not eligible for GPU even.
Any paid fare is eligible for a CPU within the appropriate regions. For GS, awards in the same regions are also eligible. All is shown on this chart:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...t.aspx#regions
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:51 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
If I fly BOS-EWR roundtrip, every week for a year, will I ever get GS?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Sure, full F is $890 o/w a/i. Roughly 100 segments of that should get you in no problem
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
Assuming you want to hit $50K, for 50 weeks, the average roundtrip fare would have to average $1K (H fare levels)
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by AlreadyThere
Any paid fare is eligible for a CPU within the appropriate regions. For GS, awards in the same regions are also eligible. All is shown on this chart:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...t.aspx#regions
Slight correction: Any paid fare except Basic Economy.

And you can also get a CPU if you are a United Chase cardholder.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: United Global Services
Just a special call out to Global Services for helping to get me home last night, even if it was a bit late. ATL had a bunch of storms but my flight going to Chicago was on schedule, even checked the incoming flight and it was 15 mins ahead of schedule. Then the problem happened. due to other weather delays (lots of bad storms in Georgia yesterday) all the gates United has at ATL were full, except mine (i thought lucky me). Then realized that gate T15 will only fit my small commuter plane if T16 has a small plane, unfortunately T16 had a larger plane. so while the flight landed an hour before our scheduled departure, they had to sit on the tarmac until well past our scheduled time (those passengers coming off the plane did not look happy). So we were late to Chicago by about 45 mins, which just happened to be the scheduled time for my connection to STL (last one of the night). Now we were scheduled to arrive at Gate C4 and STL flight was C1. so i figured so long as they have not left i should make it. As soon as we landed i heard are gate changed to F something. Uhgg!. Grabbed my bags, first one off the plane and that is when i saw my angel in a yellow scarf holding a sign with my name. down the steps to the tarmac, into a waiting MB for quick ride over the my gate. Walked up the stairs just in time to hear them call for active military and GS to board. I happily walked past the crowd and settled into my seat with a nice Jim B and diet. Little late getting home, but i made it!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium
Question regarding the following benefit from the wiki:
GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.

If I'm flying in paid int'l business (2 class flight), can I get an economy saver ticket for my wife and use a GPU to upgrade to business?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: United 1K (GS Refugee), Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by Lawyerneering
Question regarding the following benefit from the wiki:
GS are entitled to one saver award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available.

If I'm flying in paid int'l business (2 class flight), can I get an economy saver ticket for my wife and use a GPU to upgrade to business?
I just did same thing recently and agent asked me if wanted to use miles for business or for an economy award ticket and upgrade with GPU. I already have earmarked GPUs for another trip so went with business award but sure sounds possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.