Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2017, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Previous UA flight the night before was cancelled... there was an AC flight afterwards, but GS override doesn't work for *A carriers, so they likely got rebooked on the 7:25am yesterday since there were likely 0 options on alternate carriers. $5000 is the most I have ever heard of being offered.... ever.
A bit more info...
Apparently the flight the night before was cancelled. Not sure who was moved from sunday night to monday, but the 2 GS passengers didn't have seats and the 2 crew were in the same spot. When I got to the podium, they were offering $3000 (which seemed insane) looking for 4 volunteers.

They got 2 volunteers and were continuing to try to find 2 more as the flight boarded. At that point, a supervisor came over and upped the offer to $5000. Right after that, the gate agent realized they had 2 no-shows who had misconnected coming in from London (must have planned to overnight in EWR, but never showed for the flight), so they didn't actually need the last volunteers...regardless, they stuck to the $5k.

The gate agent didn't put a lot of effort into finding alternate flights--they were offering a 5pm flight (original flight was 7:30am), but I found options throughout the day (porter had multiple flights, Air Canada had options that United wasn't seeing and there were a ton of options from LGA)

I have no idea how they came up with the $3k--this felt like it should have been the normal $500/800 range. The $3k->$5k move was totally unnecessary--I don't know that someone was going to jump for $5k versus $3k--maybe that gets a family's attention over a holiday, but this was a business heavy flight and people kept saying no bc of meetings they had that day in toronto.

The mistake UA made here wasn't really investigating other flight options. Ultimately, one of the people who took the $5k refunded the United ticket and bought a new ticket on Porter around 9am...so a $5k VDB for a 1 hr delay. Bc they did it themselves, I think the net cost to the passenger was ~$300 ($600 porter one way ticket less a $300 refund from UA). Thats crazy!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Well, the vouchers can be less expensive for the airline than IDB comp. Someone might take the voucher and not use all of it, or not use it at all before it expired. IDB comp has to be paid in cash.

But wow, I'd jump on that. I'd put the $5K towards a flight up front on a TPAC and reap the rewards of the revenue ticket.

Last edited by diburning; Sep 7, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Previous UA flight the night before was cancelled... there was an AC flight afterwards, but GS override doesn't work for *A carriers, so they likely got rebooked on the 7:25am yesterday since there were likely 0 options on alternate carriers. $5000 is the most I have ever heard of being offered.... ever.
I would have bum rushed the podium at 3K. Elbows would have been thrown
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I would have bum rushed the podium at 3K. Elbows would have been thrown
Yeeeap I would have done the same. I would have been there for $1000 mst likely. For $5000, I would rent a car and make the 12 hour drive.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Could be next flight guarantee if previous flight was cancelled. IIRC, this applies to the GS and up to 1 companion.
Wonder if it was ua1flyer...$5K is serious moving of heaven and earth type of coinage.

David
Old Sep 7, 2017, 4:59 pm

funny--but it wasn't. It was an overseas GS and his spouse/companion. Both were sitting very quietly waiting for UA to pull people off the flight to accommodate them. I assume something happened the night before and they (and the crew that needed to get on the plane) were asked to wait patiently while United sorted things out. The gate crew was a little frazzled, but not that bad, until the freaked out and went from $3k to $5k.
honestly, I thought they were offering $300 not $3000 when I first walked over--everything was calm and kind of normal
They were slotting the extra crew into the jumpseat, then another off-duty pilot into 18A and then they had 4 left including the GS passengers.
The surprise was how indifferent the GAs were about identifying flight options--again, for $114, there were Air Canada (united codeshare) flights from LGA->YYZ at 10am/11am/noon, etc. Would it have been that hard to put a few passengers in a car to LGA for $500-750? the GAs never offered that. They just kept saying they could get people on the 5:30 pm flight and no one was interested
The guy who took it called Porter, booked the flight with them and grabbed the $5k voucher.
Just a weird process
I assume the number went so high because it was obvious most of the oversell was to get crew up to Toronto
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Yesterday morning.
All coach 50 seater Embraer.
EWR -> YYZ
1 overbook for a 7:29AM departure.

$1200 VDB with re-accomodation at noon for 1:30PM arrival in YYZ and breakfast + lunch vouchers.

Didn't take it as I was supposed to have an important meeting in the afternoon which was cancelled...
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sounds like EWR-YYZ needs to be upgauged to a slightly larger aircraft. Maybe UA should hold off retiring the 747s.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Sounds like EWR-YYZ needs to be upgauged to a slightly larger aircraft. Maybe UA should hold off retiring the 747s.
Bzzt. The correct answer is, "sounds like I should be flying from EWR-YYZ more often."
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Originally Posted by jsloan
Bzzt. The correct answer is, "sounds like I should be flying from EWR-YYZ more often."
The VDB from a flight on the same route in late June 2017 was $2000 on the plane itself for one overbook.

And yet they STILL fly EWR <---> YYZ almost entirely on 50 seater Embraers...
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by phltraveler
They've shifted the afternoon/evening flights on some days to the E175 (YYZ-EWR), which I am very happy about.

I will keep an eye out Monday morning EWR-YYZ this week and next for more $1000+ VDB's !
Old Sep 13, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by phltraveler
The VDB from a flight on the same route in late June 2017 was $2000 on the plane itself for one overbook.

And I'm quite positive making a ton of money on the route. So why up-gauge the equipment to something with more seats where they have to fill those seats with cheap tickets?

-RM
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:08 am

Besides this thread, which is really helpful in terms of strategy, is there anywhere to find how likely a specific flight has been oversold in the past?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by stevehuff
Besides this thread, which is really helpful in terms of strategy, is there anywhere to find how likely a specific flight has been oversold in the past?
I don't think there is a website or any other means of gathering this type of information.

As for strategy, I don't think there really is one. There are days where it is more likely to see oversold flights but that's about it. Any inkling of a strategy that has come to my mind over the years has been shot down by experience.

Dr. Dao has dramatically decreased the number of oversold flights I have been on. This is the only correlation I have seen thus far.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I have a flight coming up next Wednesday, and while reviewing the reservation, I was surprised to see that the seating chart was getting full (unusual for a Wednesday). I checked the actual availability, and here's what I get:

Available fare classes:F2 A2 JN2 C2 D2 Z2 ZN2 P1 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y0 YN0 B0 M0 E0 U0 H0 HN0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N0 XN0 X0

I don't think I've ever see Y0 on a flight I've taken this long before the flight. It seems like a prime candidate for VDB. Does anyone know if United has started doing the proactive offers yet, and if so, how soon would they start them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.