Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've always wondered about this. Tomorrow I'm flying thru IAD with a 1hr layover. I'm in no hurry tomorrow and IAD has excellent lounges to wait in so I wouldn't mind getting a voucher.

Sometimes at the kiosk, I'll be asked if I want to volunteer (or put my name on a list). I never accept because usually I don't want to delay the first flight but may want to delay the second flight. If I accept at the kiosk, does this add my name to the list for both flights?
Old May 12, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
I've always wondered about this. Tomorrow I'm flying thru IAD with a 1hr layover. I'm in no hurry tomorrow and IAD has excellent lounges to wait in so I wouldn't mind getting a voucher.

Sometimes at the kiosk, I'll be asked if I want to volunteer (or put my name on a list). I never accept because usually I don't want to delay the first flight but may want to delay the second flight. If I accept at the kiosk, does this add my name to the list for both flights?
The kiosk will ask you regardless of which flight is oversold, and it doesn't ever actually tell you which it is. (You can read it on the slip that's printed, but even then it's obfuscated a little. They print the flight number, departure airport, and seat number on the right-hand side in small print).

However, I would encourage you to answer 'yes' to the question anytime you may be open to a VDB, even if you have some strict conditions. You're not committing to anything, and if it turns out to be the wrong flight for your needs, you can just explain that at the podium when they call you up.

Having said that -- while I understand the allure of hanging out in the LH or TK lounges at IAD, keep in mind that you can get a lot of flexibility from UA in exchange for a VDB. You can be VDB'ed to other airlines or via alternative routings. For example, if I'm flying AUS-ORD-DTW, and I have some flexibility, and the AUS-ORD flight is oversold, I might ask:
  • Can you put me on the DL nonstop?
  • Can you route me through IAH?
  • Can you put me on AA to ORD and then keep my original connection to DTW?
  • Can you put me on AA through DFW?
  • Can you route me into CLE/GRR/etc. via DEN/IAH?
  • etc.

(I will first have found my preferred option and ensured seats were still for sale).

So, I would argue that having the first flight oversold is actually the most beneficial unless you happen to be flying out of a UA-dominant airport that only flies to IAD.
Old May 12, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jsloan
Having said that -- while I understand the allure of hanging out in the LH or TK lounges at IAD, keep in mind that you can get a lot of flexibility from UA in exchange for a VDB. You can be VDB'ed to other airlines or via alternative routings. For example, if I'm flying AUS-ORD-DTW, and I have some flexibility, and the AUS-ORD flight is oversold, I might ask:
  • Can you put me on the DL nonstop?
  • Can you route me through IAH?
  • Can you put me on AA to ORD and then keep my original connection to DTW?
  • Can you put me on AA through DFW?
  • Can you route me into CLE/GRR/etc. via DEN/IAH?
  • etc.

(I will first have found my preferred option and ensured seats were still for sale).

So, I would argue that having the first flight oversold is actually the most beneficial unless you happen to be flying out of a UA-dominant airport that only flies to IAD.
I'm flying CHS-IAD-PHL. I rarely go thru IAD. I've been to the LH lounge but only once to the TK lounge very quickly. I've been meaning to check it out again. I'll admit that is part of the reason. The other reason is that this happens to be one of the more rare circumstances where I'm open to a VDB so it doesnt hurt to make some money. Often my flights are late and I don't want to overnight or I just need to be somewhere. I understand there are multiple options. The reason for this question is that my layover is 50min and it will probably take around 20min to go from A to C with IAD's crappy system so the earlier I can get on the list the better. This is all speculation now, for my flight tomorrow there are currently still 4 unsold seats in Y but still good to know for the future.
Old May 12, 2017, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reason for this question is that my layover is 50min and it will probably take around 20min to go from A to C with IAD's crappy system so the earlier I can get on the list the better. This is all speculation now, for my flight tomorrow there are currently still 4 unsold seats in Y but still good to know for the future.
Fair enough. If I were in that situation, I'd search for CHS-IAD and IAD-PHL separately. If one of them is sold out (F0 Y0) and one isn't, and the kiosk gives you the prompt, it's extremely likely that's the one whose list you'd be put on. You might also be able to get a friendly counter agent or gate agent at CHS to put you specifically on the IAD-PHL list, although I've never tried that so I can't promise they have access.
Old May 12, 2017, 6:44 pm

Good idea. Now UA needs to add that to their app (viewing inventory).
Old May 12, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I'm flying CHS-IAD-PHL. I rarely go thru IAD. I've been to the LH lounge but only once to the TK lounge very quickly. I've been meaning to check it out again. I'll admit that is part of the reason. The other reason is that this happens to be one of the more rare circumstances where I'm open to a VDB so it doesnt hurt to make some money. Often my flights are late and I don't want to overnight or I just need to be somewhere. I understand there are multiple options. The reason for this question is that my layover is 50min and it will probably take around 20min to go from A to C with IAD's crappy system so the earlier I can get on the list the better. This is all speculation now, for my flight tomorrow there are currently still 4 unsold seats in Y but still good to know for the future.
If you go that route, you most likely won't have time for any lounges in A/B side. If you land at A, you will be on the lower level and get off on the tarmac and walk to the terminal, then wait for a bus to the C/D terminals. If you fly into C/D then you will most likely be near the mid to end of D. Either way, yu will probably fly out of one of those 2 areas as well.

IF you land in the lower level of A and fly out of there, that is about the only way to have enough time to visit the lounges for more than a walk thru. The time between terminals and the fact that they are long and 100% walking (no moving walkways etc) means unless you get lucky, you will be walking quite a bit between gates.

Your best bet for a voucher is CHS, I have 6 from 2016 and so far only one from 2017, not that I couldn't have had more, but I was flying to SIN on one trip and she couldn't re route me and the other i HAD to get to Phoenix that day and best she could do was the next day (Even using American)
Old May 12, 2017, 9:11 pm

Yes I agree, That's why I said it takes around 15-20min to go between A and C because of the poor transit system at IAD. With boarding about 30min or so prior, that doesnt leave any time. If I arrive at IAD and VDB to take a later flight, then I have plenty of time. However, arriving 10-20min prior to boarding may be too late since the VDB seems to be in order of first come first serve. The flight out of CHS is the last 1 stop routing of the day. The flight out of IAD is the third to last direct flight. Therefore I am not considering VDB in CHS as an option.

Anyways, my basic question has been answered. Thanks
Old May 25, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by nomad420
What!!!???? This is a joke....right?
not at all... I took it in a heartbeat!
Old May 27, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, Southwest RapidRewards
Took a bump a couple of weeks ago - VDB.

Was flying JAN -> IAH -> ORD. UA had an aircraft issue and sent a replacement - however the replacement aircraft only held 37 people and there were 50 booked.

They needed 13 volunteers. I did volunteer when it got to $700, but it eventually climbed to $1,000. I got a confirmed seat out the next morning that went direct JAN -> ORD.

I was a pretty happy camper at that point. I just found out that day that one of my business trips to London was pushed back, and it was to a time when my wife could join me. I obviously had to cover the cost of her ticket though, but $1,000 really helped. I was booking the London tickets that night, so it was literally like $1,000 in cash just fell in my lap.

I was probably the only happy person in that group of 13 - I thought there was going to be some Dao style violence at that gate. Especially when one guy who was supposed to be on that flight was told he did not qualify for the ETC as he had been IDB from an earlier flight that day.

I was happy to take the direct flight out that next morning, but about an hour later they managed to find another aircraft and got most of the people who took a voucher out to IAH that night.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Nice catch.

The guy that didn't qualify for etc due to IDB earlier in the day.....? What was the deal there?
Old May 27, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Nice catch.

The guy that didn't qualify for etc due to IDB earlier in the day.....? What was the deal there?
I was thinking the same. If you have been IDB (by the airline) does that preclude you from Volunteering again on the continuation of your travels that day?
Old May 27, 2017, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I was thinking the same. If you have been IDB (by the airline) does that preclude you from Volunteering again on the continuation of your travels that day?
Absolutely not... not sure why he was not allowed to. He should not be barred from the VDB.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Absolutely not... not sure why he was not allowed to. He should not be barred from the VDB.
Only thing that comes to mind is that UACO is trying to limit their total compensation for an IDB per day.

David
Old May 27, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Nice catch.

If i had to guess he IDB'd and got stby on that flight but was confirmed for the next morning. he won't get compensation if he never made it off the stby list

that is my guess
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Looks like UA has cut back on oversold flights. I have flown a lot of domestic during the last month, and have seen very few if any oversold flights as I peer around at other gates. This thread has gone silent as well. Hopefully this doesn't last, but maybe things are changing a bit. Not sure if other airlines are following in suit.... but I bet if UA has cut back, they are losing far more $$ by cutting back here than they lost on any sort of settlement with Dr. Dao.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.