Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2016]
Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Related thread - Is this IDB? Am I entitled to IDB compensation? [Consolidated]

VDB -- Voluntary Denied Boarding -- is when the flight is overbooked and the airline is looking for volunteers to change their travel plans. It is voluntary and you do not need to participate. The compensation is 100% negotiable. It could be $100's in future travel vouchers, it might be food vouchers, a different routing (perhaps more direct or for MR's more indirect ), perhaps lodging if overnight and sometimes a bump in cabin. It all depends on how desperate the airline is and how flexible you are.

The standard UA policy is after you have agreed to a voucher amount and additional VDBs are still needed, if those passengers get a higher amount, you will also get the higher amount.

The are no DoT requirement for VDB compensation, it is whatever you and the airline agree to. The DoT does require the airline to try VDB before moving to IDB.
Print Wikipost

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2017]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by Billiken
Same here.

Flew 51 UA segments in 2016, not one VDB.
Lots of "sorry, turns out we won't be need you...." from GAs.
I flew 50+ segments too with 5 "go ahead and board I'll get you if I need you". Never got a VDB.

Has anyone actually boarded and then had the GA come and get you? I don't mind waiting but its a zoo trying to find overhead space if you board last especially if you're originally in BG1.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang
Has anyone actually boarded and then had the GA come and get you? I don't mind waiting but its a zoo trying to find overhead space if you board last especially if you're originally in BG1.
Yes.
Has happened to me probably 5-6 times over the last fifteen years.
It has not happened in the last 2 (maybe 3).
Old Feb 8, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I flew 50+ segments too with 5 "go ahead and board I'll get you if I need you". Never got a VDB.

Yes, all the time

I am at a small airport, with small planes. I know most of the gate agents well, they know me by name, not just face.

If they are 3-4 deep and I can help, they normally process me and get my bags off the plane (99% chance I have checked bags)

If they are 1-2 deep, then I typically board and they come and get me if needed. Probably 50-50 as to if they need me.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by Billiken
Yes.
Has happened to me probably 5-6 times over the last fifteen years.
It has not happened in the last 2 (maybe 3).
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
Yes, all the time
Ok good to know, I've just had this nagging feeling that when I board they'll just use someone else that hasn't boarded. On my last two chances I don't think they actually needed any volunteers in the end.

Were you able to ask how many over they were when you volunteered?
Old Feb 9, 2017, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
UA5224 FAT-DEN tomorrow (2/10/17) is over by 2. Hopefully will pick up a voucher tomorrow morning..... update coming.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
02/16: ORD-FLL, 2 oversold, volunteered and received $600 travel credit + hotel + 3 x $20 meal vouchers (more than I expected). Rebooked next lunch flight in Y. Was possible to get on the 7:30am flight using SDC but I wanted to sleep
02/17: ORD-FLL Take #2: 2 oversold, volunteered, $500, but one person didn't show up and I had to board (last). Almost
Old Feb 18, 2017, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by seanp7
02/16: ORD-FLL, 2 oversold, volunteered and received $600 travel credit + hotel + 3 x $20 meal vouchers (more than I expected). Rebooked next lunch flight in Y. Was possible to get on the 7:30am flight using SDC but I wanted to sleep
02/17: ORD-FLL Take #2: 2 oversold, volunteered, $500, but one person didn't show up and I had to board (last). Almost
Combo breaker
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Ok good to know, I've just had this nagging feeling that when I board they'll just use someone else that hasn't boarded. On my last two chances I don't think they actually needed any volunteers in the end.

Were you able to ask how many over they were when you volunteered?
The GA usually say it over the PA, some larger airports the TV monitors say how many.

It really depends, they are a bit more up front with me, also, because we aren't a "transfer" airport, we are a destination, that means they can ans DO sit there and at T- 30 minutes, she presses a button, that will not let the counter check in anyone else for the flight.

I have literally seen her press the button and then 45 sec later the phone rings - someone is at the counter trying to check in.

In this scenario, she knows that XX number of people have checked in, although she doesn't know if someone checked in online or the app and never drove to the airport etc, but she does know the number checked in exceeds the capacity of the airplane by XX people.

If it is 1-2, I'll board - 3-4, I'll prolly hang out, also 90% of the time, I know before I get to the airport what my chances are for a re route etc. Like my trip to SIN - she was screwed, but a lady came up and had a VERY VERY easy fix - sent her to AA and got her to her destination 25 min early with a $300 voucher. I was going to be a nightmare for her to re route, but she would have probably done it if not for other volunteers.

Again, I don't think any of this is insider knowledge, just stuff you pick up when you spend waaaaayyyy too much time at airports, especially smaller airports where they know you and you try and help them out as much as your travel allows, because in the end, 99% of the time it helps you out.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
8pm CLE-ORD today delayed 140+ minutes at T-5 meant I would misconnect in ORD, so I called the Premier Desk and got a seat on the 6pm CLE-ORD

Then, the 6pm CLE-ORD was overbooked by 3, offering $300 ETC for a seat on the AA flight CLE-ORD @ 7:30pm.

3rd on the volunteer list, but 2 people ended up no-showing. Maybe next time.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Any VDBs yesterday heading out of MSY?I expected to see some here...given the All Star Game
Old Feb 21, 2017, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
UA4758 DEN-GRR... Took a $500 VDB this morning due to OVS + weight. Ended up on DEN-IAD-GRR getting in 4.5 hours later. First score in quite a while (relative to my usual VDB expectations).
Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:48 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
UA 4296 IAH-ICT (Wichita) this morning, over by a few and they started offering $200. Then $400, still over by one, finally up to $600 asking as everyone had boarded and was seated. Alternate flight arriving at 3pm instead of 10:30am. I guess not a lot of interested takers.

The door closed so I don't know if someone took it or they booted that last unfortunate person off.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
UA774 on 0/26 (PDX - SFO) yesterday at 3:11PM was overbooked by 4. Offer was $150. I was connecting in SFO to head to LAX. Original offer was the 4:30PM departure out of PDX. Told the agent I didn't want to wait and that I would take the offer if they would put me on the nonstop 3:35PM Alaska Airlines departure. The agent scrambled to make it happen since check-in closes 45 minutes before departure.

Got in 2.5 hours earlier to LAX than anticipated, an aisle seat in the front economy cabin, and $150 from UA. Sounded like a win win to me!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:11 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

EWR to MAD on 2/17. $800 x 2 plus hotel and meals. This gave us a nice day in NYC to see Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. On 2/18, they were still overbooked, but we were late to the party for another $800 x 2.
On the way home, 2/25, overbooked and offering $300 each plus hotel and meals. We declined that, though... But it didn't stop us from fantasizing about $1600 + 1600 + 600 = $3800 for a few extra days of vacationing.

My first vouchers ever!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum

This happened to me once about 3 years ago when I was on a 50 seat RJ from IAH to CLE; I was happy to be rebooked on a two segment flight the next morning on mainline aircraft. 2.5 hours is pushing it on those little ERJ145's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.