Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & p.s. Premium Service

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by CMK10
Choice of the Fiesta Omelet or the French Toast Souffle, both of which I'm still pretty sick of. At least it's okay though.
Don't EVER speak ill of the Fiesta Omelet!
Old May 13, 2017, 11:48 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by transportprof
What was in the sandwich?
If I remember correctly it was beef and some cheese(?).
Old May 14, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Flew SFO-EWR on 5/6 and did the pre-order of the AVML and, on-board, the FA noted that when bringing around my drink and asked me if I wanted a burger and I accepted that so she served the AVML (a salad) as a starter while the burgers were heating then served the burger as the main. Both were quite good.

Full bar PDB was served and most pax went to sleep so few were served anything to eat which explains the burger offer.

Was in the rotunda UC from about 6pm until 11:30pm and noted the food variety, which I was pleasantly surprised by not having been in the lounge for a number of years, started disappearing around 7:30pm.

Overall, a positive UC/P.S. food and beverage experience.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
UA1926 / LGA-IAH / 2017-05-14
B739
Dinner

Name:  CabinFood-MealUA1926-drink-2017-05-14.jpg
Views: 1972
Size:  36.8 KB
Drink & nuts
The Chardonnay was good.

Name:  CabinFood-MealUA1926-main-2017-05-14.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  60.0 KB
Main course
The choice for the main was either chicken katsu or "seafood" paella. I chose the latter and found there was only one piece of shrimp with chicken and sausages. No complain as it was good. I wished the salad was in a bowl rather than on a flat plate.

Last edited by jazzhou; May 16, 2017 at 11:51 am
Old May 16, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
UA1921/DEN-LAX/May 12, 2017
737-900/4A
3:27 p.m./2:31/Lunch

Pre-departure beverages offered; after takeoff a choice of a "salmon salad" or "chicken with rice" was offered. Warm nuts (whole) and drinks/hot towels. Castle Rock pinot noir was the wine.

The chicken turned out to be Southwestern style, with corn/black beans, white rice and a side garnish of avocado, pico de gallo, red peppers and lettuce. A side salad had jicama, oranges and pink grapefruit. The Pomegranate/açaí dressing was very sweet. A bread stick/butter was also on the tray.

Cookies/beverages came out after the meal, always a nice touch. I enjoyed the meal.

Old May 16, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
UA1216/LAX-DEN/May 15, 2017
737-900/5E
3:54 p.m./2:21/Lunch

I jumped on this flight from the 6:00 p.m. departure so I was in the "last choice/no choice" seat. A "shrimp salad" or a "hot beef sandwich" were the choices. 5B got the last salad, so sandwich it was. (In fairness, the shrimp salad did not look great, so no big loss there.) Pre-departure drinks were offered.

Nuts/drinks: the red was not the Castle Rock but I can't recall the brand.

The beef sandwich arrived very overcooked; it had blue cheese and a green I could not identify. Spinach? The meat itself was OK, but I ate around the overdone roll. The blue cheese was pretty pungent. This meal could have been good if it wasn't overdone, but what a hot mess on a plate!

Side salad was a bit wilty but had golden raisins and quinoa with balsamic vinaigrette. The roll/butter subbed pretty well for the inedible parts of the sandwich. The red grapes were fine.

The cookie was also overdone but tasted OK with some black coffee. All-male crew in F was average at best.

Old May 19, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 2046 SFO-DCA, 5/19/17
757-300, seat 4F, lunch

The food was good but service was behind the eight ball for much of the flight. The warm nuts came out lukewarm, and I had finished the salad--every single leaf fresh, something that AA couldn't come close to two weeks ago--by the time I hit the call button to ask if I could get a drink to go with it. Then the main course didn't arrive until 4 p.m., two hours and 10 minutes after we pushed back. There's a reason why you see nothing in my glass in both pictures.

The choices were ravioli, chicken curry or short rib. I'd had chicken a few times earlier in the week and was also starving by then, so I went with the beef. The carrots and fingerling potatoes were forgettable, but the short rib itself was delicious, especially against the umami of the morel-mushroom sauce. Dessert was the same small container of ice cream you get in Y on an international flight, then a warm cookie later on.

I couldn't figure out what was holding up the crew. The FA working the cabin was older, so she should have known the drill; was there some particularly VIP/DYKWIA passenger monopolizing her attention? If I'd paid for this, I'd be annoyed, but instead I got an RPU to clear... with less than 24 hours to go, as the very last upgrade to go through.

The captain, BTW, was a piece of work. He advised us that after our late departure, they'd "fly it like we stole it"; before arrival, he warned that landing a plane this big on National's short runway might feel "like we just landed on the USS Abraham Lincoln."
Attached Images   
Old May 23, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
UA937 / IAH-SFO / 2017-05-21
B739
Breakfast (brunch)

Name:  CabinFood-MealUA937-1-2017-05-21.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  125.1 KB
Sunday breakfast must start with a glass of mimosa.

Name:  CabinFood-MealUA937-2-2017-05-21.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  336.4 KB
The steel-cut oatmeal was good. The other choice was fiesta omelet.

Name:  CabinFood-MealUA937-3-2017-05-21.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  274.9 KB
This was one giant strawberry. Non-GMO, I hoped.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know what breakfast is like on SFO-YYC? Hoping a french toast option is one of the options, as the omelettes and oatmeal seem very mediocre.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by zeer0
Does anyone know what breakfast is like on SFO-YYC? ...
Isn't the AM flight is UX operated?

... Hoping a french toast option is one of the options, as the omelettes and oatmeal seem very mediocre.
No hot meals on UX flights

more likely
Greek yogurt, cereal, muffin and fresh fruit
Old May 24, 2017, 7:37 am

I admit when it comes to food preparation, I am not an expert, heck I lived off of Frozen Dinner prior to getting married.

Regardless, does anybody know why the cutting process of the oatmeal makes a difference? UNITED (and many others) makes a big deal about the fact that the oatmeal was steel cut as opposed to other methods ( I am assuming there are other methods).
Old May 24, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by kmersh
I admit when it comes to food preparation, I am not an expert, heck I lived off of Frozen Dinner prior to getting married.

Regardless, does anybody know why the cutting process of the oatmeal makes a difference? UNITED (and many others) makes a big deal about the fact that the oatmeal was steel cut as opposed to other methods ( I am assuming there are other methods).
As far as I'm aware, the cutting method affects cooking time and texture. Steel cut is the least processed, and therefore takes the longest to cook and is the least likely to end up as gooey muck.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Isn't the AM flight is UX operated?

No hot meals on UX flights

more likely
Thankfully it's actually a mainline 738. Last time I had breakfast on UX it was an absolutely vile cranberry sandwich of sorts.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: None yet
EWR-SEA
UA 550 4/13 6:35AM
Meal: Breakfast

Fruit plate, omelette, and cinnamon roll
Attached Images   
Old May 29, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmersh

Thankfully it's actually a mainline 738. Last time I had breakfast on UX it was an absolutely vile cranberry sandwich of sorts.
IIRC in January (on 739) it was a muffin, some yoghurt, and a plate of fruit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.