Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR United Club - A Gates - Closed 29 Aug 2016 for remodel - reopening 12 Feb 2017?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR United Club - A Gates - Closed 29 Aug 2016 for remodel - reopening 12 Feb 2017?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Just confirmed with the staff here at the EWR Terminal A United Club.

Closing as of this Monday, August 29. Expected to re-open late November or Early December.

When re-opened, plan to have food-to-order menu setup. Will also have draft beer. And some rumor that there will be some type of i-pad setup to order. God help us if OTG gets their slimy nose in the door at the A gates.

No temporary setup, so only the Clubs at C will be available. No word on if the dragons at the transfer bus will be instructed to lighten up on going back-and-forth.

My plan will be to use the C terminal security (with reliable pre-check) then take transfer bus to A for the flight.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:31 pm

Of the 3 clubs in Newark that one was the least in need of a refresh. Generally uncrowded and spacious.

At least it will only be disruptive for 3 months.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I wonder if they will deny day passes during this time.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I wonder if they will deny day passes during this time.
I wouldn't be terribly surprised. I got an email telling me they will be denying one-day passes at all UCs at ORD (not sure why I got it, as I rarely fly through ORD and am EWR-based).

I too will try to clear security in C and go to A only to board. Will give it a try next time I fly UX, which will probably be EWR-PWM in a couple months.

As for draft beer - not terribly excited, since I tend to only drink the premium beers in the UC anyways.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Food to order sounds like the Polaris lounge model. Except there could be no Polaris flights out of Terminal A. At least I hope to god there won't be!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 2:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Is this A club the former PMUA RCC?

Recently transited the ewr refresh in C - holy iPads
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Is this A club the former PMUA RCC?...
No - the RCC was in another wing of Terminal A near the PMUA gates.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Check

Given the is no OTG announcement concerning OTG at Terminal A and there are plenty of OTG threads, let's return to the posted topic of Term A UC closure for renovation.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I wouldn't be terribly surprised. I got an email telling me they will be denying one-day passes at all UCs at ORD (not sure why I got it, as I rarely fly through ORD and am EWR-based).

I too will try to clear security in C and go to A only to board. Will give it a try next time I fly UX, which will probably be EWR-PWM in a couple months.

As for draft beer - not terribly excited, since I tend to only drink the premium beers in the UC anyways.
Yeah. Agree on the draft beer, especially since it will probably be something like Coors Light and MGD. Wasn't trying to imply it was a good thing.

Thankfully, the house liquor selections have greatly improved lately. Don't mind Beefeaters at all for a G&T.

Originally Posted by transportprof
Food to order sounds like the Polaris lounge model. Except there could be no Polaris flights out of Terminal A. At least I hope to god there won't be!
LOL Yeah, no Polaris flights out of A gates.

Pretty sure I recall some other United Clubs trying out food-to-order (for sale, not free)...ORD comes to mind, though I haven't seen that at the Terminal 2 club, which is the only one I use now.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 2MM
So EWR, which has the most overcrowded clubs in the entire UA system, is going to see even MORE crowding due to this closure?

EWR is the armpit of the UA system.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by blueman2
So EWR, which has the most overcrowded clubs in the entire UA system, is going to see even MORE crowding due to this closure?

EWR is the armpit of the UA system.
A few thoughts:

- A is the worst terminal experience for United at EWR, so the new lounge offering is a meaningful improvement for those travelers, similar to how ORD-F was the first renovated/new UA Club post-merger, replacing what was truly an awful facility
- There is no room for a temporary lounge at A, so any major renovation would require UA to "bite the bullet" at some point
- I don't expect much more in the way of crowding at C, aside from those on long layovers or who spend too much time in airports to begin with. O&D passengers at A are still most likely to clear security at A and avoid the bus ride
- UA wants to schedule its most disruptive EWR lounge renovations (C-1/C-3) during the winter/early spring low seasons for business travel

In other news/rumors, the former RCC in A is slated to become a MLL next year.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
Originally Posted by EWR764
A few thoughts:

- A is the worst terminal experience for United at EWR, so the new lounge offering is a meaningful improvement for those travelers, similar to how ORD-F was the first renovated/new UA Club post-merger, replacing what was truly an awful facility
- There is no room for a temporary lounge at A, so any major renovation would require UA to "bite the bullet" at some point
- I don't expect much more in the way of crowding at C, aside from those on long layovers or who spend too much time in airports to begin with. O&D passengers at A are still most likely to clear security at A and avoid the bus ride
- UA wants to schedule its most disruptive EWR lounge renovations (C-1/C-3) during the winter/early spring low seasons for business travel

In other news/rumors, the former RCC in A is slated to become a MLL next year.
While I agree that A2 can be a pretty horrible experience, I disagree that the UC in A2 is the worst of the three EWR clubs. I have never found it to be an unpleasant experience, nor too overcrowded. That distinction still goes to the C2/3 club.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Agree that the A club was better than anything over at C.

I don't do the inter-terminal transfer much at EWR. IIRC, the shuttle bus drops off fairly close to a United Club at C, doesn't it? Anyone know how frequently the bus runs? Is it on some type of schedule ie every 10 minutes or something?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Agree that the A club was better than anything over at C.
No cappuccino machine at A means it's the worst of the bunch for me. Otherwise, I agree - A is nice and peaceful. Reminded me very much of the President's Club at LGA.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
No, the B15 ORD Club does food-to-order (and pay-to-play) -- I think that's the model UA will be rolling out to all of its clubs, at least of the hub/high-traffic clubs, Polaris or not.

And god help us if UA ever starts flying mainline, let alone Polaris flights out of A. It's enough of an decrepit overcrowded hell hole with a bunch of RJs. I think I'd prefer LGA over EWR A for mainline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.