Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2016, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to other threads if the question deserves its own thread.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally there are not long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:44 am

Thanks for the feedback winecountry

I just called, and they said the only way to upgrade the additional leg would be to pay the extra 50k UA miles (it's available now). When asking if there was a waitlist I could put myself on, they said that be for if there was no availability left, but even then I would still need to pay the extra miles if it was released.

Was the operator I spoke to maybe mistaken? Should I still check back, or try using a tool like expertflyer to track if there are changes?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Ttrevi88
Was the operator I spoke to maybe mistaken?
Yes. It happens frequently. The words you want to use when you call back are "I would like to waitlist for I space on the xyz segment." (I is saver award space for business class).
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
RDM multiplier

If you get a bump up in status in the middle of a flight, do the RDM's for that flight post as the higher status or the status that you were at when you started that flight.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by VWang1111
If you get a bump up in status in the middle of a flight, do the RDM's for that flight post as the higher status or the status that you were at when you started that flight.
You can't actually get bumped in the middle of a flight. Status only changes after the miles post. It is possible to hit a new level between flights in the middle of an itinerary, and the subsequent flights should post at the higher level (though you may have to call to get that to happen).
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It is possible to hit a new level between flights in the middle of an itinerary, and the subsequent flights should post at the higher level (though you may have to call to get that to happen).
Happened to me in April.
They won't post the higher earnings automatically if one segment of a trip is the threshold of the next premier level- you definitely need to call, but UA agent I spoke with was happy to help and fixed the subsequent segments for me (both RDMs and PQMs for the 500 min per segment)
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Wilbur Lin
Hi, I'll be asking a question that have been asked a few times around a few websites but answers vary... I know Premier Gold members do not have access to United Clubs when flying domestic on Economy. I am wondering, as a Premier Gold member, when I'm flying domestic and not in Business/First classes, if I'm able to access non-United-Club *A lounges? Technically, as a *A Gold I should be able to access any *A Gold titled lounges but I don't know if there's an exception for United members flying domestic. Thanks in advance. (And if I'm violating any forum rules just let me know I'll be happy to delete this question...)
The answer is a little complicated. Technically, by the *A program rules, the answer is yes. However, depending on the airport, some lounges will be more or less willing to accommodate these rules. For example, off the top of my head I know that the BR and SQ lounges at SFO will not admit domestic *G pax, but that the LH SEN lounge at IAD will. I would check the "combined logistics" thread for your particular airport if you're curious about a particular *A lounge and/or airport.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
However, depending on the airport, some lounges will be more or less willing to accommodate these rules. For example, off the top of my head I know that the BR and SQ lounges at SFO will not admit domestic *G pax, but that the LH SEN lounge at IAD will.
These are the only US lounges that don't follow the *A rule.

Though there are not many domestic airports where a non-UA *G lounge is accessible.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 3:29 pm

Kacee and others - thank you. The people here know the rules better than the people working the phones for United!

I have the Chase Mileage Plus explorer card - but was planning to cancel it soon. Do you think that could have any bearing if they would bump me to I on those economy segments if they open up? Or do you think the upgrade is a long shot either way?
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:54 pm

i have a SAS flight booked between SFO - CPH. i need to position myself to SFO to take that flight, and am planning to use a UA to get to SFO. naturally, these two flights will be 2 separate tickets.

questions
1) i read abt the interline agreement UA has. it appears UA will be able to check the luggage through all the way to HEL when i board my first flight, because both UA and SAS are *A. can someone confirm on this based on their previous experience?

2) how much time, at a bare minimum, would you need at SFO airport for connecting? i believe UA domestic flight arrives at terminal 3, and the SAS flight departs from terminal G (international), and i have read somewhere that you can go from terminal 3 to terminal G directly without needing to exit security, is that still true?

thank you in advance.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by grapegrower
My partner and I are trying to book SYD-EWR-FSD-SYD award tickets separately covering 5 weeks in May/June 2017 so we will be on the same flights.
When she goes into the award booking site there are a huge amount of options on our preferred dates which allow her to complete the journey for 80k points.
When I go into the site the same options are not available. In fact there are virtually no saver options at all for those two months eg. they want 62.5k points just for the EWR-FSD leg!
The only difference I can see is that I have an account registered with an Australian address and my partner a USA one.
What are my options?
Wait?
or pay for the same flights once she has booked hers on points?
Thanks
*** Update ****
I have just been reminded she has a United Chase CC and I dont
CC cardholders and elites have access to additional saver economy award inventory .

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-holders.html

Well we ended up booking my partner's itinerary on points and a paid mirrored itinerary for me at a reasonable cost I might add
But I was amazed at the extent of the available saver inventory that the possession of a United CC offered for our preferred dates (and a week either side) in comparison to a non holder eg. two trans pacifics from SYD, one with AC via YYR to EWR or one via LAX with an 8 hour layover for me compared to almost every flight combo via LAX or SFO for my partner.
Makes me question any advantage of being a foreign member of MP

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 7, 2016 at 11:12 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by grapegrower
.... But I was amazed at the extent of the available saver inventory that the possession of a United CC offered for our preferred dates (and a week either side) in comparison to a non holder eg. two trans pacifics from SYD, one with AC via YYR to EWR or one via LAX with an 8 hour layover for me compared to almost every flight combo via LAX or SFO for my partner.
Makes me question any advantage of being a foreign member of MP
Elites, including international elites have the same expanded saver economy inventory (plus some expanded saver business inventory for Plats and higher) .

Note there is no difference in partner inventory but needed connecting UA flights can be in the extra inventory.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gnomey
i have a SAS flight booked between SFO - CPH. i need to position myself to SFO to take that flight, and am planning to use a UA to get to SFO. naturally, these two flights will be 2 separate tickets.

questions
1) i read abt the interline agreement UA has. it appears UA will be able to check the luggage through all the way to HEL when i board my first flight, because both UA and SAS are *A. can someone confirm on this based on their previous experience?

2) how much time, at a bare minimum, would you need at SFO airport for connecting? i believe UA domestic flight arrives at terminal 3, and the SAS flight departs from terminal G (international), and i have read somewhere that you can go from terminal 3 to terminal G directly without needing to exit security, is that still true?

thank you in advance.
I don't know about the luggage question (I'm guessing by the way that your SAS itinerary is SFO-CPH-HEL, since that wasn't mentioned?). But I can answer the connection. You can easily walk from Terminal 3 to G, behind security, and depending on where you arrive in Terminal 3 and where your gate is it'd be a 10-20 minute walk.

So with that resolved, the bigger question is how long do you need between the flights in case your inbound is delayed? That I can't answer, but since I'm pretty paranoid it'd be at least 3 hours given that they're on separate itineraries.

FTF
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gnomey

questions
.... .
No direct experience with SAS, but this is very standard procedure for UA, see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ch-2015-a.html

As far as connecting in SFO, assuming checked-thru bags, the terminal access is fine and will be behind security however, it will depend on SAS's process on issuing international BPs / document checks, you may need to go to the SAS checkin counter.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ional-sfo.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2016 at 12:41 pm Reason: SFO info
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Am trying to find the best way to get myself to CUN in F as well as earn some PQD. I've searched and can't seem to find the answer re: using UR and booking via the Chase site.

Will I earn PQD from their site? I think I recall seeing that the answer is no, but I want to make sure. I've managed to save quite a few of UR since initially getting the card and thought this might be a good use for them IF I can get the PQD.

I would consider buying Y and upgrading to F, but the cost in miles is absurd, so I'm thinking of just buying F via Chase if I can get the PQD.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Am trying to find the best way to get myself to CUN in F as well as earn some PQD. I've searched and can't seem to find the answer re: using UR and booking via the Chase site.

Will I earn PQD from their site? I think I recall seeing that the answer is no, but I want to make sure. I've managed to save quite a few of UR since initially getting the card and thought this might be a good use for them IF I can get the PQD.

I would consider buying Y and upgrading to F, but the cost in miles is absurd, so I'm thinking of just buying F via Chase if I can get the PQD.
The risk is that the Chase ticket will be bulk and will not accrue PQD. PQD/PQM/RDM Earnings When Purchasing Chase UR UA Tickets. Seems inconsistent. You could do the purchase and then cancel within 24 hours if it shows as "bulk" (assume you can do that with a Chase ticket?).

There are some very cheap F fares (actually P) to CUN . . . have you checked those out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.