Search

Can I add a passenger to a reservation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:11 am
S.R
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Can I add a passenger to a reservation?

So I have a trip that I booked for me and my mom.
I'm 1K, but she has no UA status. My dad also decided he would like to join, so is there anyway to add him to our already book reservation?
Mainly for CPU and E+ purposes?
He doesn't have status on UA either.
I think I read that bookings cannot be combined, so before booking him separately was wondering if it was possible for us to all be on same reservation without us cancelling and booking all over again.
Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by S.R
I think I read that bookings cannot be combined, so before booking him separately was wondering if it was possible for us to all be on same reservation without us cancelling and booking all over again.
There is not. If you are on the same flight, you can call and get your dad an E+ seat.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Any new booking will need to be a new PNR which is not combinable with an existing PNR.
Originally Posted by S.R
...Mainly for CPU and ...
An elite can only have one companion for CPU. If you have two non-elites on the same PNR with you, no one -- including you will be eligible for CPU.

E+ can be added for a non-elite on a separate PNR as mentioned before (note only Plat and above can add more than 1 E+ companion).
Premium security / boarding does not require the same PNR.

Extending your bag elite waiver to a companion may be the benefit you need to consider if a common PNR is really needed.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:25 pm
S.R
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
An elite can only have one companion for CPU. If you have two non-elites on the same PNR with you, no one -- including you will be eligible for CPU.
Interesting, that I did not know.
So when you see 3/4+ people on the upgrade list with same last name does that mean more then one of them is elite or that one is GS?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by S.R
So when you see 3/4+ people on the upgrade list with same last name does that mean more then one of them is elite or that one is GS?
It generally means they booked on separate PNRs.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by S.R
- They are using miles or certs
- They are elites or the 1 companion of an elite
- Remember MMers can sponsor 1 person for a matching elite status
- They are on waitlisted premium cabin awards (when that works)
GS does not provide any additional benefit (other than some GS are also MMers)

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It generally means they booked on separate PNRs.
By definition, you can not be on a joint PNR and be on a gate waitlist
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
By definition, you can not be on a joint PNR and be on a gate waitlist
Correct, but if they booked more than two non-status on a PNR, nobody would be listed, so they must either have multiple elites or have booked no more than two non-status per PNR in the first place (or is it reallt two per elite?).
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Correct, but if they booked more than two non-status on a PNR, nobody would be listed, so they must either have multiple elites or have booked no more than two non-status per PNR in the first place.
Or they split the PNR prior to booking but retained the inherited elite bag waiver from the original PNR (believe this is a common gambit by traveling families familiar with the system).
No way to know looking at the gate list if the original booking was a single passenger or multiple passenger (2,3,4,....) PNR. All you know is they are presently on a single passenger PNR. Now it is better for earlier CPU access to be 2 or less passenger PNR earlier than check-in but that is not detectable from the gate list.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
There is not. If you are on the same flight, you can call and get your dad an E+ seat.
I'be tried this a few times (MM Plat) and have been told that they normally do not so this, although it was done twice as a "courtesy"
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ronlap
I'be tried this a few times (MM Plat) and have been told that they normally do not so this, although it was done twice as a "courtesy"
Likely a pmCO agent not with the program. It was common for pmUA and I have never been refused since the merger. I once did my daughter's family of four, not a question at all.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
Mostly sponsored upgrades (miles or certs) or free employee+family travel (easy to spot since they're generally on both the economy standby list and the premium cabin(s) standby list).
Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:45 pm

Likely a pmCO agent ...

Hardly, IME.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Back to the query.

Book the dad separately and call in for E+ seating. Check bags with you and your mom's PNR. Take him with you during priority security and boarding.

Make sure to have folks sitting aisle aisle window so that if two are upgraded the last person has a good seat.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:34 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I believe companio CPU rules require "same pnr". I consider a pnr that has been split to be the same, as the split pnr has an automated reference to the parent pnr, which is easily verified.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by S.R
They are almost certainly nonrevs (or perhaps GS with a whole bunch of instruments to burn).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.