Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SFO New GS & Premier Check-in Lobby (opened Oct 2014); non-GS elite C/I moved back.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO New GS & Premier Check-in Lobby (opened Oct 2014); non-GS elite C/I moved back.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: United Silver
I'm looking forward to the new AMEX lounge.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:37 pm

Programs: United 1K
Agree - "including kiosks that enable customers to tag their own checked bags" in the Premier area - so I take it that there will be even fewer agents to help. Nothing says "got your back" like moves like this.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
Agree - "including kiosks that enable customers to tag their own checked bags" in the Premier area - so I take it that there will be even fewer agents to help. Nothing says "got your back" like moves like this.
These kiosks have been in BOS for awhile now and I saw them in EWR last week. I'm generally a fan of these kiosks. Even in the old system, you usually only ever interacted with an Airserv ID checkers (the contractor at SFO), so it's not like you were interacting with a UA agent anyway.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca
These kiosks have been in BOS for awhile now and I saw them in EWR last week. I'm generally a fan of these kiosks. Even in the old system, you usually only ever interacted with an Airserv ID checkers (the contractor at SFO), so it's not like you were interacting with a UA agent anyway.
So how do they ID check now at these self-serve bag kiosks? And for that matter, how are they even different from the Chickens? I haven't seen the ones at BOS yet.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:07 pm

They still do. The only thing being offloaded onto the passenger is the weighing and physical application of the tag. You still bring it to the agent area for the (usually contract) agent to check your ID and put it on the belt.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Heading to SFO this weekend. Will see how things work to/from the AirTrain and the new Premier area.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
They still do. The only thing being offloaded onto the passenger is the weighing and physical application of the tag. You still bring it to the agent area for the (usually contract) agent to check your ID and put it on the belt.
Hmmm, having the passenger do the weigh-in sounds like a great thing if one might happen to want to take on an overweight bag.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
Hmmm, having the passenger do the weigh-in sounds like a great thing if one might happen to want to take on an overweight bag.
Shrug. I haven't had to check an overweight bag recently, so I can't comment on what might happen.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:08 pm

Too funny. 5 podiums for GS? I am guessing there will be 1 person working there so the 5 are just for show.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by olouie
Too funny. 5 podiums for GS? I am guessing there will be 1 person working there so the 5 are just for show.
At EWR, sometimes all the podiums are staffed (with no one checking in besides me) but they are busy looking at other GS (or GF pax) connecting flights/etc.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by olouie
During the evening European flight banks all the podiums at ORD are usually staffed and there often is a line. I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true for the international flight banks at SFO (Asian and perhaps Europe)

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
The weight is checked by a contract agent (along with the passenger's ID). If the bag is oversized/overweight the passenger is sent back to the kiosk to try again.

Discussed in depth here (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...g-tagging.html) and here (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...gates-bos.html)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 14, 2014 at 9:35 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA GS / MM
Finally maybe a signal UA is ready to increase the number of SFO GS to its rightful place.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:57 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GS8101
Finally maybe a signal UA is ready to increase the number of SFO GS to its rightful place.
Or maybe just better serve the existing number of SFO-based GS...
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:58 pm

to the moving of Premier check-in. The current checkin and security areas were ideal for those coming from BART.
If a precheck lane remains at the 'old' location not much of a downgrade. In fact a big improvement. Can't imagine a lot of BART Premier travelers are hauling checked luggage, so not much need to visit the agent.

The constant negatives here...

I'm happy no more need to trek back to Boarding Area E after security.

The conspiracy theory is they are hiding the Premiers from the Amex lounge.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 9:05 pm

And Chris McG. has the scoop with photos of the new GS and Premier areas. Looking really good and a big step up. GS area looks more like a newscast studio than an airport.

http://travelskills.com/2014/10/14/r...te-flyers-sfo/

But with an express path to the Mercedes for late arrivers and door onto security this is the most useful ultra-premium checkin experience in the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.