Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

When can I get my refund - Consolidated Help / Experiences with United (UA) Refunds

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 7, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

When can I get my refund - Consolidated Help / Experiences with United (UA) Refunds

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

I bought a ticket (for 6/14) via United.com on 6/12. I made a change of the flight 1hr after I booked the ticket and pay nothing for this change. Another hour later (same day), I canceled the ticket. I noticed the webpage said I can get full refund before I clicked "confirm the cancellation". However, I haven't got the refund yet.

Does anyone know how long it will usually take to get the money back? Did I made any mistake for the cancellation?

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yanggrui
I bought a ticket (for 6/14) via United.com on 6/12. I made a change of the flight 1hr after I booked the ticket and pay nothing for this change. Another hour later (same day), I canceled the ticket. I noticed the webpage said I can get full refund before I clicked "confirm the cancellation". However, I haven't got the refund yet.

Does anyone know how long it will usually take to get the money back? Did I made any mistake for the cancellation?

Thanks!
Have you requested the refund? Canceling the ticket does not trigger a refund request. Fill out the webform here: Refund Request.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Kacee,

I received this email right after I canceled the reservation. I shouldn't do anything, right?

"Your reservation, XXXXXXX, was cancelled and we have received your request for refund. If you are requesting a credit card refund, please allow seven business days for processing. If your credit card refund is not posted within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company. For all other forms of payment, including cash refunds, please allow 20 business days for processing."
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yanggrui
I received this email right after I canceled the reservation. I shouldn't do anything, right?

"Your reservation, XXXXXXX, was cancelled and we have received your request for refund. If you are requesting a credit card refund, please allow seven business days for processing. If your credit card refund is not posted within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company. For all other forms of payment, including cash refunds, please allow 20 business days for processing."
Then you're all set. IME, refunds have been processing within the referenced seven business days. You can check the status using the confirmation number they gave you.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Then you're all set. IME, refunds have been processing within the referenced seven business days. You can check the status using the confirmation number they gave you.
I checked it. I got this status.

We were unable to locate a refund request with the information you provided. Please allow at least seven days for your request to reach our office. If it has been more than seven days, please resubmit your request via fax to 713-324-1431 or by mail to United Airlines, Customer Refund Services, PO Box 4607, Houston, TX 77253.

Anyway thanks. I (re)submitted my request
Old Jun 23, 2015, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
When can I get my refund?

I would call in and see if this was just simply "canceled" or actually "refunded". Not only is the online system confusing on this, even if you do it right, it doesn't always do the refund part properly. You can probably tell by logging into your account and seeing if you have a tab with inactive reservations under the PNR that you can rebook. If so, your reservation was canceled, but not refunded.

I've had agents tell me to not bother with online because it's problematic, and just call in.

And IME, I don't believe you can track the refund online with a cancelation within 24 hours like other types of refunds (i'd be happy to be proven wrong though).

I'd just call in and ask them to check the status of the PNR and that it should have been refunded. I bet they'll tell you it's been canceled and not refunded, and they'll probably request the refund for you. Give it another week or so after that, and if it isn't back on your CC, that's when I would go to chargeback on your CC.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
How long do refunds take right now?

I just applied for a refund due to cancelled ticket. how long does united need to process refunds right now? thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
I just applied for a refund due to cancelled ticket. how long does united need to process refunds right now? thanks.
I just did one, took about 9 calendar days.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by bullfrog
I just did one, took about 9 calendar days.
uugh.... thanks, though.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back in April I had a flight cancel due to weather. I called the MP line and the agent cancelled my itinerary and my CC was credited 5 days later.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My wife and I had a ticketed, confirmed reservation that included a DEN-CYS segment on ZK (Great Lakes), coded as a UA codeshare. About a week before departure, ZK cancelled their entire DEN-CYS schedule for my travel date (and UA notified my wife, but didn't notify me). When I went to view the reservation, the DEN-CYS segment had dropped off without notice. I called United and told them that we would drive DEN-CYS. The agent told me that she would update the reservation and submit it for re-faring and a partial refund, which she said would take about a week.

I didn't hear anything further from United, so upon our return from the trip, I submitted the itinerary for a refund via the online tool, only to get a response yesterday with the following text: "Our records show the ticket was used; therefore, no refund is due." My request clearly indicated that I was looking for a re-fare due to a flight cancellation, but they denied it anyway.

What's my next step? The only contact information listed for the refund department is snail mail or a fax number. Should I call the main reservations line again? Has anyone been through this before?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
My wife and I had a ticketed, confirmed reservation that included a DEN-CYS segment on ZK (Great Lakes), coded as a UA codeshare. About a week before departure, ZK cancelled their entire DEN-CYS schedule for my travel date (and UA notified my wife, but didn't notify me). When I went to view the reservation, the DEN-CYS segment had dropped off without notice. I called United and told them that we would drive DEN-CYS. The agent told me that she would update the reservation and submit it for re-faring and a partial refund, which she said would take about a week.

I didn't hear anything further from United, so upon our return from the trip, I submitted the itinerary for a refund via the online tool, only to get a response yesterday with the following text: "Our records show the ticket was used; therefore, no refund is due." My request clearly indicated that I was looking for a re-fare due to a flight cancellation, but they denied it anyway.

What's my next step? The only contact information listed for the refund department is snail mail or a fax number. Should I call the main reservations line again? Has anyone been through this before?

Thanks in advance.
if it's more than 7 days then write to the DOT. Don't bother with UAs refund department. I had a refund take 4 weeks last year and that went to the DOT as well. UA has a history of refund issues and has been fined by the DOT before.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:37 pm

I put in a refund request at the start of February for econ + seats as United moved me onto a different flight but can't move the seats............finally got the refund mid June, more than a 4 month wait. I have written to complain but doubt that will get me anywhere!
Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
if it's more than 7 days then write to the DOT. Don't bother with UAs refund department. I had a refund take 4 weeks last year and that went to the DOT as well. UA has a history of refund issues and has been fined by the DOT before.
Thank you for the suggestion. Counting from my original (phone) request for a refund, when I learned about the cancellation, it's been nearly a month, so I went ahead and filed a DOT complaint. I will report back with the results.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan

I didn't hear anything further from United, so upon our return from the trip, I submitted the itinerary for a refund via the online tool, only to get a response yesterday with the following text: "Our records show the ticket was used; therefore, no refund is due." My request clearly indicated that I was looking for a re-fare due to a flight cancellation, but they denied it anyway. .... .
Insufficient information to say, but it is possible there will be no refund due. It will depend on a number of factors but a zero fare different is a distinct possibility. Air fare pricing is weird.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.