Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Initial announcement thread - 2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance
Update 2019 -- includes all partner flights on 016 ticket
for non-016 ticket , see Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.
Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (PQD)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)

Multipliers based on Premier status: & (breakeven CPM)
  • x5 General Members -- (20 cpm)
  • x7 Silver -- (17.86 cpm)
  • x8 Gold -- (18.75 cpm)
  • x9 Plat -- (19.44 cpm)
  • x11 1K/GS -- (18.18 cpm)

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $100 ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

Note that for itineraries which span the March 1 changeover date, the existing scheme will apply to any segment departing prior to March 1 , the new scheme will apply to the segments departing March 1 or after.

Appears no extra mileage for using a Chase MP card than the standard card mileage earning

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Sitewww.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html

Relevant UA Insider posts:
Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted online, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members.
Answered Questions:
Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.

Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.

Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.

Unanswered Questions:
Originally Posted by a9504477
...Would this apply also to UA flights not on 016 stock? And if not, what would be the best way of purchasing such?
Unknown, but the FAQ indicates that all UA and UAx flights issued by ANY airline would be subjected to the new earning rates. There are exceptions (group tickets, bulk tickets, etc) like "Specialty Tickets" as mentioned below.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Do elite bonuses still apply to those [specialty] tickets?
It is mentioned in the FAQ: If applicable, Premier bonus award miles will be based on a member’s Premier status and the lower of the distance flown or miles awarded, per the chart above. Basically the bonus miles will be awarded but based on the lower number (i.e. distance flown for higher fares or the % based on fare). A 1K passenger purchasing F-fare from EWR-SFO would get only a 2565 mile bonus while a N-fare would get (50% of 2565) 1283 mile bonus. Still unclear what are the percentage bonus of each premier level but assume that it is the same (100% GS/1K, 75% Plat, 50% Gold, 25% Silver).

Specialty Tickets:
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including, but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare paid is not disclosed on the ticket) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class as of March 1, 2015. Please refer to the chart below for details.

Eligible fare classes
Flight operated by United and United Express
150% - J, C, D, Z, P, F, A
100% - Y, B, M
75% - E, U, H, Q, V, W
50% - S, T, L, K, G, N
Print Wikipost

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JBord
...Gone are the days of racking up 20k RDM's on a single $800 TATL flight while someone frequenly flying a mid-con for $800 only gets 7k RDM's each time...
This.

Although I'm losing RDMs under the new system, I understand why UA is doing it and I think it's fair. People who were getting gobs of miles under the old system on cheap, long distance fares are understandably annoyed at the new scheme, but they've been benefiting from a reward system that actually didn't make any sense relative to revenue a particular passenger generated. The new system rewards the price of the ticket (1:1) and loyalty (by multiplier). Sorry, but it is logical.

The old program is in the rear-view mirror. Keep your eyes on the road ahead - there's an intersection. Either go straight ahead or make a turn. Your decision...
Old Mar 20, 2015, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This.

Although I'm losing RDMs under the new system, I understand why UA is doing it and I think it's fair. People who were getting gobs of miles under the old system on cheap, long distance fares are understandably annoyed at the new scheme, but they've been benefiting from a reward system that actually didn't make any sense relative to revenue a particular passenger generated. The new system rewards the price of the ticket (1:1) and loyalty (by multiplier). Sorry, but it is logical.

The old program is in the rear-view mirror. Keep your eyes on the road ahead - there's an intersection. Either go straight ahead or make a turn. Your decision...
There are people who would benefit under the new system aren't happy with it either. You don't have to "lose" to think this change sucks. @:-)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy
There are people who would benefit under the new system aren't happy with it either....
????

There are people who are getting more RDMs and don't want them?????
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:12 pm

????

it's the same with people who have more money than they know what to do with... do you think they're happy? No. All the excess money become a burden. (too bad I don't have that problem)
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
While we can debate the pros and cons of the new and old systems with regard to airline profitability and customer satisfaction, I think it would have softened the blow quite a bit had they gone to a hybrid system with elements of both. For example, switch to $-based for the core mileage earnings, but keep the mileage-based system in place for elite bonuses. Everyone would get the same 5x points on spend, plus elites would get 25% to 100% of actual mileage.

That way you'd be compensating for both money spent as well as the proportionally greater pain of sitting on longer flights (and more so for those most loyal to the airline). It would also be more consistent with premier qualification, which is now based on both spend and mileage. Instead of such a "something for everyone" approach, they've now polarized their (knowledgeable) customer base and, in my opinion, driven away a sizable population of incrementally-profitable loyalists.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NiceLanding
While we can debate the pros and cons of the new and old systems with regard to airline profitability and customer satisfaction, I think it would have softened the blow quite a bit had they gone to a hybrid system with elements of both. For example, switch to $-based for the core mileage earnings, but keep the mileage-based system in place for elite bonuses. Everyone would get the same 5x points on spend, plus elites would get 25% to 100% of actual mileage.

That way you'd be compensating for both money spent as well as the proportionally greater pain of sitting on longer flights (and more so for those most loyal to the airline). It would also be more consistent with premier qualification, which is now based on both spend and mileage. Instead of such a "something for everyone" approach, they've now polarized their (knowledgeable) customer base and, in my opinion, driven away a sizable population of incrementally-profitable loyalists.
The new system is already a hybrid (taking out the inaneness of miles) - 1 dollar = 1 RDM plus a multiplier for Premiers. If you are a Premier "sitting on longer flights" and paying more money, you get more RDMs than another same-level Premier on the exact same flight paying less money. You are both getting the same multipliers. This is brain-dead simple and equitable. A 1K paying a P fare should get less RDMs than a 1k paying a F fare on the same TPAC flight.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 20, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

????

It's not just about RDMs. That's what you guys don't seem to get.

I'm a mixed sort of traveler. I do a lot of travel on OPM. I also do a fair amount of travel on my own dime.

I'd much rather have consistent rewards I can count on, with bonuses added for status and CoS. I don't like being rewarded sometimes and screwed other times when my business is pretty consistent. I prefer AA's way of rewarding me when I spend more.

Looking at how UA's doing it, and with all the glitches, it's too much hassle for too little reward. And even if you throw more money at them in add-ons, only certain money counts for reward. It's not like the value of the RDMs remained static. They were devalued severely last year. So if it's harder to get miles, and takes more of them to get an award, what's the point?

That doesn't even address the declining quality of service UA has provided since the merger, which is a big deal too.

Then add them virtually killing the concept of an alliance by penalizing you for flying a *A carrier - even if UA can't take you there themselves.

Put them together, and there's little reason to fly UA. There's not enough upside to justify it anymore. I look at the whole value proposition, and UA just sucks for that these days.

If they want my $4k-7k Y/C fares, they need to treat me well consistently. UA doesn't do that anymore. If they want to follow a transactional model, that's fine. They just can't demand loyalty for it - especially when their demands do not meet the rewards for doing so.

So AA/BA is getting my $4500 Y/B next month. AA still values ALL of my business, and rewards accordingly. If that changes in the future, I'll re-evaluate then. Until then ...
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:23 pm

So AA/BA is getting my $4500 Y/B next month. AA still values ALL of my business, and rewards accordingly. If that changes in the future, I'll re-evaluate then. Until then ...
AA/US is still busy with the merger. I'm willing to bet that the new AA
will definitely follow DL and UA.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...I'd much rather have consistent rewards I can count on, with bonuses added for status and CoS. I don't like being rewarded sometimes and screwed other times when my business is pretty consistent. I prefer AA's way of rewarding me when I spend more....
[Bolding mine]

I think that's what UA is doing.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
February 20th Luftnhansa P class FRA-IAH 3870 premier miles, 7740 reward miles 0 pqd

March 16th United ZM class PIT-IAH 1117 premier miles, 7,139 reward miles, $649 pqd

Just kind of struck me looking at the earnings of a previous partner transatlantic business class versus a current domestic hop on an exensive fare.

Wasn't really considering domestic earnings since under the old system they never accounted for a significant portion of my mileage earnings but I guess they could still be relevant. Maybe not in the grand scheme of things with 20-30k one way on international business class from now on though.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smile

...That's what you guys don't seem to get....I'd much rather have consistent rewards I can count on, with bonuses added for status and CoS....
A higher CoS costs more, so you'll get more miles. The multiplier is recognition of status. Rewards based on dollars and status is about as simple as it gets (vs old program of miles flown, CoS, and status). It is simpler and just as consistent. Not only that, but there is a direct calculation between RDM awards and the value you bring to the airline vs miles. Tell us how miles equates to customer value...Someone who flies 100,000 miles for $6k is clearly far less valuable than someone who flies 100,000 miles for $60,000. 10x less. There is no argument you can put forth that disputes that.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 20, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Old Mar 20, 2015, 2:55 pm

The new system is already a hybrid (taking out the inaneness of miles) - 1 dollar = 1 RDM plus a multiplier for Premiers. If you are a Premier "sitting on longer flights" and paying more money, you get more RDMs than another same-level Premier on the exact same flight paying less money. You are both getting the same multipliers. This is brain-dead simple and equitable. A 1K paying a P fare should get less RDMs than a 1k paying a F fare on the same TPAC flight.
Brain dead simple system that UA can't make work right. They shortchanged me 2000 miles on a $781 PQD. Said it could take them few weeks to months to fix since their systems are not setup to fix incorrect earnings when issued.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
First grader problem!!! UA has one year to get PQD right. The multipliers got them in troubles. Haha..
Old Mar 20, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A higher CoS costs more, so you'll get more miles. The multiplier is recognition of status. Rewards based on dollars and status is about as simple as it gets (vs old program of miles flown, CoS, and status). It is simpler and just as consistent. Not only that, but there is a direct calculation between RDM awards and the value you bring to the airline vs miles. Tell us how miles equates to customer value...Someone who flies 100,000 miles for $6k is clearly far less valuable than someone who flies 100,000 miles for $60,000. 10x less. There is no argument you can put forth that disputes that.
But once again, that's only one facet of the argument. You're looking at it very linearly rather than stepping back and looking at the big picture.

Someone who spends 60k flying 100k miles is already rewarded at a higher level. That person would be a GS. @:-) And those people are probably the least likely to care about RDMs.

The other thing is the $60k 100k flyers are much fewer and farther between. I'm sure UA would love to have an airline that just had those. Problem is they'd be a very small airline. So you need to keep the other frequent yet less costly people happy.

The 1K lite that we threw around FTs are very likely few and far between. Most 1Ks probably spend around the $10k threshold at the very least to get the status. Some more, some maybe a bit less. Even if they are less profitable than that $60k flyer, their business is still very much needed. It's much easier to keep someone who flies consistently than to try to constantly recruit Kettles to fill those seats. And there's also a lot more of them than the handful of $60k flyers.

So you have to offer them something that makes it worthwhile to remain a loyal customer. Otherwise you have to keep offering rock bottom fares to the Kettles and rely on upsells to squeeze them for more money. At least to me, I'd think a moderately profitable yet consistent customer would be better than trying to snag a new Kettle every time, but what do I know.

UA tried to adjust the threshold with PQDs. I don't have a problem with PQDs as long as the rewards match what is being demanded. Problem with UA is that they kept gutting the program and services and offering less and less while demanding more and more. While I expect the equation to favor UA somewhat, the equation's unbalanced to the point where it's not really worth it.

Bottom line is this really throws loyalty out the window. This goes for DL too, and will for AA if it follows. If loyalty is just a multiplier of a dollar figure. I'll pass. I'll just go with what works best for me, factoring in schedule, quality of service, schedule and cost. If I end up getting status on an airline then, great. If I get enough miles for a decent award, great. If not, I'm just not going to worry about it anymore.

The FFP, especially in UA's case, was an incentive to put up with UA's mediocrity because they made it worth it to do so. Now they're a worse airline with a worse FFP. No longer worth it.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA Million Miler, Hertz #1, Five Star, Marriott Gold
Question about UA PQM for 2015

This week flew DCA to SAT in F, on a full fare ticket. I received 1.5 times actual miles for PQM. UA said that as a 1K, I would get 11 times dollars spent on airfare for miles. Is that only for award miles? If so, then why spend a lot of money on a domestic ticket, if you are not getting any more PQM than last year? This may well have been answered, but I have not been on the forum for a year.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.