Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Operational Upgrades - Op-ups -- are upgrades that occur when there is a need by the airline to move passenger to the higher cabin: could be due to overbooking of the lower cabin, could be a weight and balance issue, could be a broken seat, ....... whatever the reason, it is an airline driven reason, not a customer request.
If the issue still exists after all upgrades have cleared, then the common approach is for passengers to be selected based on status or status/fare but the GA has discretion and may make a selection for other reasons.

Overbooking is the most common reason, as there is no available / allowed seat for all the passengers in the cabin. If the cabin has available seats, there will be no op-ups except for some special corner cases (such as weight & balance).

Asking for an upgrade because of a special occasion or you are dressed especially professional, or you have a suave manner does not work, those often repeated "upgrade secret hints" will just get you a chuckle or a "go away" look.

pmUA FT classic thread on Op-ups - Operational upgrades from a gate agent's perspective

Related threads:

2014 Thread - Are Discretionary Complimentary (Operational) Upgrade Common on UA?

Chances of Operational Upgrade on International Flights (Honeymoon)? ..

Consolidated United Operational Upgrade (OP-UPs) Experiences
Print Wikipost

Consolidated - Chance of Operational Upgrade (Op-Up) on my flight?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Once got op-up from upgraded J to F from FRA-SFO. Quite a treat!
Old Mar 18, 2017, 7:28 am

I once got op upped on a previously upgraded coach ticket J to F out of FRA. Was around 5 or 6 years ago.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Not even sure this is that uncommon.
Op-up J to F makes sense, as UA can fairly easily "sell" Y to J upgrades. If they have those empty F seats it makes sense to move some from J to F.
Also happens when Y is oversold, some get Y to J op-up, then others J to F.

Probably one of the reasons they decided to get rid of F in the first place.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by narvik
Op-up J to F makes sense, as UA can fairly easily "sell" Y to J upgrades. If they have those empty F seats it makes sense to move some from J to F.
As much as that might make sense, it is not done. UA will not op-up J->F in order to upgrade someone Y->J. There's an entire thread on that one as well, and it's not uncommon for flights to go out with seats in F free when there are still people on the business upgrade list.

Also happens when Y is oversold, some get Y to J op-up, then others J to F.
Of probably the most common option, when J is simply oversold, and nobody is attempting to upgrade J->F.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by docbert
As much as that might make sense, it is not done.
Oh? I was under the impression that is exactly what happened to me several times, although I admit I didn't pay that close attention to what happened "downstream".

Last op-up was PEK-SFO J-->F....and I was initially a little disappointed then as I had 14A in UD booked. Was nice in 1K though, so no complaints!
Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold
I have recounted this one before, but my best op up unicorn was a FRA-ORD flight where me, my wife and two kids all got upgraded Y to J; the kicker was I was only a Silver.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
I lucked out a couple years ago with an op-up on an S fare from SFO to TPE. Was only a Gold at the time.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Last year I got an operational upgrade Beijing to Chicago, even got on the 747 upper deck for one last time, this was as a platinum.

Back around 2009 - 2010 I used to fly on full fare tickets to India and the Middle East, and I would get pissed if I didn't get oped into global first - it happened quite a bit.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Our best op-up was SFO-HKG. Booked Y, used SWU to C, then got op-up to F. At first, they only offered F to my wife, but gave it to me as well to avoid splitting us up.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:08 am

A couple years ago I was on a non-upgradeable economy ticket from DEN-NRT and was moved up to business class last minute to allow someone else in the oversold economy cabin. I was 1k but on a super cheap ticket so I was presently surprised. My boss was pissed (he as on the same ticket but I got the bump up).
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:43 am

Gamble for Op-Up or not?

How many have done this sort of thing (and been successful?).

Looking at a one-way PEK-EWR right now. Just booked a V fare with a GPU applied which is waitlisted.
When checking load, it says E is full J has 15 unbooked. I know this to have happened before: E was completely full, and I scored an Op-Up to J.

I am considering booking another ticket in an S fare or V fare and dropping the GPU, and canceling the current ticket. And then hoping for the Op-Up. Unfortunately, I may end up with a middle seat in E, which won't be fun!

How many take such gambles, and have you been successful in the past?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 30, 2017 at 1:42 am Reason: per OP request, changed title
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
What's your general usage rate of GPUs? Don't forget that they are instruments which expire at the end of the year and are literally only good for this.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by findark
What's your general usage rate of GPUs? Don't forget that they are instruments which expire at the end of the year and are literally only good for this.
Aye, very true. But I've already burned through about 5 (*) GPUs this year...down to only 3.

* I believe United didn't re-deposit one when canceling a flight.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Last month I got an op-up from a V-fare to Polaris Business on a ORD-CDG flight. I was already sitting in a bulkhead seat in E+ when they asked me to move. And to make it better, they gave me a good seat: 6J on a 772.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Do it!

If you have a better usage of your GPU, you should gamble with PEK-EWR. If there are GSs on the flight, they will have priority over you. You should know the results of your gambling once you check in over the counter (do not check in online or App). If the gamble fails, you can call 1K line to upfare and apply your GPU at that time. I had trouble to do this once because a 1K agent claimed that there was a cutoff time (2 h before departure).
Good luck.

How many have done this sort of thing (and been successful?).

Looking at a one-way PEK-EWR right now. Just booked a V fare with a GPU applied which is waitlisted.
When checking load, it says E is full J has 15 unbooked. I know this to have happened before: E was completely full, and I scored an Op-Up to J.

I am considering booking another ticket in an S fare or V fare and dropping the GPU, and canceling the current ticket. And then hoping for the Op-Up. Unfortunately, I may end up with a middle seat in E, which won't be fun!

How many take such gambles, and have you been successful in the past?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.