Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Agent listed son as "Ms." on award ticket.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

I didn't immediately catch the error , but once I did I called back and the CSR on the other end indicated that she was hesitant to correct the error as one of the partner airlines (it is a five segment total trip to/from Europe) did not still have award tickets for the itinerary and that our tickets would be cancelled. She said she was "putting it in the file where everyone could see it" and that it wouldn't cause a problem with TSA or immigration.

Am I right to trust this? I do not want to do anything to jeopardize our trip. Indeed now there are no direct flights out at all that day even on United and none at all for return. I don't want the ticket cancelled but I am also afraid that the error will cause boarding problems all along our route (Washington to London, Amsterdam to Rome and back to Washington). Any advice for a non-seasoned international traveler?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
UA has my daughter listed as the 1k record holder on the Award flight I have booked with UA and AC. Tried to have someone fix it ten times and no luck. Not really worried about it but you should be OK. No one really looks at the Ms designation IMO.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
If you get any attitude, just say it's Master (Mstr) and it got truncated.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: No Loyalty to any airline
It just doesn't matter if everything else is correct.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! The comments help set my mind at ease.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 11:13 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by channa
Air New Zealand properly titled my 10 year old son "Master". You would think Shares would do this properly
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ChoochMom
I didn't immediately catch the error , but once I did I called back and the CSR on the other end indicated that she was hesitant to correct the error as one of the partner airlines (it is a five segment total trip to/from Europe) did not still have award tickets for the itinerary and that our tickets would be cancelled. She said she was "putting it in the file where everyone could see it" and that it wouldn't cause a problem with TSA or immigration.

Am I right to trust this? I do not want to do anything to jeopardize our trip. Indeed now there are no direct flights out at all that day even on United and none at all for return. I don't want the ticket cancelled but I am also afraid that the error will cause boarding problems all along our route (Washington to London, Amsterdam to Rome and back to Washington). Any advice for a non-seasoned international traveler?
I wouldn't worry about it. FA and GA don't really pay attention. Plus, let's face it, gender is become a little more "fluid" these days. If anyone squawks, tell them his hero is Bruce Jenner.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Wont be an issue
I've had this happen a few times on my own reservations and no one has ever given me a second look
Old Feb 10, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
You'll be fine. So long as the name matches, nobody will care about the Ms/Mr/Mrs/Rev/Hon.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is not even a required field. Many choose to leave it blank.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: WN CP; AMEX MR, US, DL
Other Titles

Does anyone believe there would be a problem if one would deliberately choose an improper title? My children were a bit upset with me when I refused to book tickets for them on British Airways using a fun title like: "His Holiness," or "His Majesty." There are an amazing variety of amusing choices.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
United: Transgender...Friendly!

Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by channa
Exactly.Very common "honorific" for minors used by airlines worldwide, if not in the US. My son is in all the systems as "Master...", however, and now that's he grown into a "Mr." he can't seem to get his designation updated.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input

I was originally mostly worried that because he was a minor there might be more scrutiny (e.g. that we were trying to smuggle him abroad or something). But if it isn't even a required field that I feel much better.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 5:39 pm

I would not worry at all as others have posted. I have known men who travel with a minor child out of country who get a notarized letter from their mother even if married.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.