Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Press Release dated October 14 2015.

Oct 25: PS menus get upgraded and look delicious
Nov 1: Domestic first flights between 1:30 and 3:59pm that are more than 3 hours get lunch
Nov 1: Hawaii and transcon redeyes get dinner service

Beginning Nov. 1, the airline will refresh lunch and dinner choices for United First and United Business customers on flights throughout the U.S. and Canada, and to Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America leisure markets.

United-operated flights that currently offer meal service will addnew dishes, like Spanish paella, mushroom risotto and seafood cioppino on shorter dinner flights.

Meal window expansion

The carrier will also expand meals to:

Lunch flights longer than three hours, departing between 1:30 and 3:59 p.m., which will offer options that include seasonal entree salads like a Napa salad with grilled salmon, goat cheese and fig and an arugula salad with Milanese-style chicken; and

Late-night flights between Hawaii and Houston, Chicago, New York/Newark and Washington, which will offer full dinner service with new entrees, such as hoisin short ribs with wasabi grits and stir-fried vegetables.

Late-night non-p.s. transcontinental flights and service between Hawaii and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Denver, as well as other late-departing flights of at least five hours and 20 minutes, will offer hearty sandwiches after takeoff, such as a pretzel burger with bleu cheese dressing, arugula and pickled onions, followed by warmed pastries before arrival.

United will continue to offer its p.s. made-to-order sundaes for dessert, followed by bake-on-board cookies prior to arrival.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As a follow-up to our recent news release about investments we’re making in dining onboard and in our United Clubs, we have a number of details to share about changes coming this weekend to every cabin on many of our North and Latin America flights, to offer you restaurant-quality meals. These latest upgrades come in addition to those we made October 25 to premium-cabin dining on our p.s. Premium Service.

For a more in-depth look at the investment we’re making in our food, UnitedAirtime.com now includes insightful foodie stories and a new video about why we want the food we serve to be exciting and interesting – something we’re working on in partnership with The Trotter Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and inspiring new generations of culinary minds.

Here are some highlights of menu changes on flights within the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, and leisure markets in Mexico; which will be reflected beginning November 2 on our united.com North America premium-cabin dining page and Choice Menu page:

p.s. Premium Service enhancements beginning October 25:

Premium-cabin dining changes beginning November 1:
              -New seasonal entrée salads with refreshed protein component served on the side
              -New side salads and transcon/Hawaii starter salads
              -The United Business cabin on three-cabin aircraft will offer all entrée choices served in the United First cabin
              -United Express two-cabin regional jet service will also offer new premium-cabin lunch, dinner and snacks, and expanded lunch meal service to flights longer than three hours
              Choice Menu Bistro on Board changes beginning November 1

We hope many of you have the opportunity to experience these new dining options and we look forward to hearing from you.

-UA Insider
                  Print Wikipost

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K & MM
                  Sandwich option today from ORD - DEN was a "Dilled Pork Sandwich" served hot. Well, I can't stand dill, so I went with the Southwest Salad and Soup. That honestly wasn't bad.
                  Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
                  Originally Posted by swm61230
                  Hahahaha so they are upgrading the first class food with the buy on board food? Well it will make it easier for everybody to get their meal choice.
                  This is pretty close to the April Fool's scenario predicted in 2014, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...april-1-a.html

Originally Posted by parody press release
                  Excess United First meals will be available on a first-come first-served basis to United Economy Plus (tm) passengers for $11.95 for lunch, and $14.95 for dinner selections.
                  I also recently had this Scramble, thought it did not look like a lot of food, not clear it was a $10 meal, but decided it was OK. B+
                  Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA GS
                  Originally Posted by Skinut
                  Sandwich option today from ORD - DEN was a "Dilled Pork Sandwich" served hot. Well, I can't stand dill, so I went with the Southwest Salad and Soup. That honestly wasn't bad.
                  I will almost always go with the salad. The lettuce is always crisp, the veggies pretty edible, and the meat is generally solid. Healthier than the other options and more refreshing with the crisp romaine.
                  Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
                  Originally Posted by Eric Westby
                  I had this the other day in coach. It's really good. The eggs are actually fluffy, and the asparagus crisp. I'm sure they use an array of chemicals to get it to come out like that, but I don't care.
                  It looks like the only difference between yours and the First class is probably the plating.
                  Old Mar 2, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
                  Originally Posted by mherdeg
                  The HNL-EWR F meal, for those who are curious, is:

(1) After takeoff -- cold chicken sandwich with hot onion soup and crackers.

(2) Mid-flight -- items from the 'refreshment basket' were available in the galley.

(3) Before landing -- cereal, yogurt, and croissant.

No choices. The flight is advertised as 'snack' and departs a bit after 9pm.
                  I'm curious about the expectation for food in the front cabin on UA 14 (HNL - EWR) when the departure time changes next week to 8:25 pm. EF shows this as a Snack flight every day I checked throughout the rest of the spring, summer, and autumn when it departs shortly after 8pm. Will we see this move to a multi-choice, multi-course dinner?
                  Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
                  It looks like the only difference between yours and the First class is probably the plating.
                  I wouldn't be surprised, though to be fair, this is probably the only F breakfast for which this is true.
                  Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 am
                  Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
                  Hahahaha so they are upgrading the first class food with the buy on board food? Well it will make it easier for everybody to get their meal choice.
                  What's wrong with UA offering first class meals for sale in coach?

[see the marketing spin there?]
                  Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:30 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
                  Originally Posted by PTahCha

perhaps like the upgrades themselves, they can be sold to the highest bidder*

*highest bidder requires bidder not have existing UA mileageplus premier status. dynamic pricing offers will be given to those with 25K+ annual spend a co-branded UA credit card. special offers available for those in BG5 or sitting in row 30 and above.
                  Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:38 pm
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
                  Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
                  ...There was a small bowel of fruit...
                  That in fact doesn't sound too appetizing.
                  Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:00 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
                  Had three options on EWR-PDX a couple of weeks ago:

Pasta
                  Chicken Tamale
                  Short rib

I went with the short rib because I had seen a few pictures of the tamale and wasn't sure if it was me.

We were served the warm nuts and a drink, then they brought out the tray with the salad and bread, then they brought the mains on their own, collecting our salad bowl and replacing it with the main course. I thought the salad was a little strange. It was a bed of still frozen spinach with some bell peppers and fried onions (I think) and a side of quinoa. It wasn't particularly tasty.

The short rib was decent and was served with polenta and carrots.

After that we received ice cream with some typical toppings. It was a smaller serving than what I usually see on the transcons.

About an hour before arrival they served a warm chocolate chip cookie.

My neighbor ordered the chicken tamale and it actually looked pretty good in this case and I regretted my decision.

Overall it was an ok tasting meal, definitely better than what we used to receive. Hopefully the options rotate fairly regularly.
                  Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha

Well the 'do no wrong' Air Canada does just that! I remember doing it on a EWR-YVR a couple years ago.
                  Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:20 am
                  Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
                  Was pleasantly surprised with today's F breakfast choices SFO-ORD on the 6 a.m.: 3 choices instead of 2. A large slice of vegetarian quiche with turkey sausage, or 2 decent-sized hot cheese blintzes with thick Canadian bacon, or the ever-present honey-nut Cheerios/fruit combo

Was impressed with the blintz choice. Served with a warm, light blueberry compote and a cup of tasty fruit. However, time to retire the Honey-Nut Cheerios -- please.
                  Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
                  Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
                  However, time to retire the Honey-Nut Cheerios -- please.
                  I agree that they should provide a choice of cereals. Given that they'd last a few weeks if sealed, it's a no-brainer.
                  Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
                  Flew Domestic F MCO-LAX, here were my food choices

Part of the new streamlined food offerings on United, my choices were Chili w/jalapeno muffin, butternut squash pasta (my choice), or grilled chicken w/rice

I meant to take a photo for posting, but forgot.

I got the sundae with hot fudge (pretty decent) as well as a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie

All in all, not bad
                  Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:51 pm
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
                  Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
                  Well the 'do no wrong' Air Canada does just that! I remember doing it on a EWR-YVR a couple years ago.
                  Big difference.

Air Canada over-caters J so that people are more likely to have their choice. Extras, if any, are sold in the back.

UA, OTOH, had such bad First Class food, its "reinvententd North America premium cabin dining" was, in some cases, inspired by its Coach buy-on-board offering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.