Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Press Release dated October 14 2015.

Oct 25: PS menus get upgraded and look delicious
Nov 1: Domestic first flights between 1:30 and 3:59pm that are more than 3 hours get lunch
Nov 1: Hawaii and transcon redeyes get dinner service

Beginning Nov. 1, the airline will refresh lunch and dinner choices for United First and United Business customers on flights throughout the U.S. and Canada, and to Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America leisure markets.

United-operated flights that currently offer meal service will addnew dishes, like Spanish paella, mushroom risotto and seafood cioppino on shorter dinner flights.

Meal window expansion

The carrier will also expand meals to:

Lunch flights longer than three hours, departing between 1:30 and 3:59 p.m., which will offer options that include seasonal entree salads like a Napa salad with grilled salmon, goat cheese and fig and an arugula salad with Milanese-style chicken; and

Late-night flights between Hawaii and Houston, Chicago, New York/Newark and Washington, which will offer full dinner service with new entrees, such as hoisin short ribs with wasabi grits and stir-fried vegetables.

Late-night non-p.s. transcontinental flights and service between Hawaii and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Denver, as well as other late-departing flights of at least five hours and 20 minutes, will offer hearty sandwiches after takeoff, such as a pretzel burger with bleu cheese dressing, arugula and pickled onions, followed by warmed pastries before arrival.

United will continue to offer its p.s. made-to-order sundaes for dessert, followed by bake-on-board cookies prior to arrival.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As a follow-up to our recent news release about investments we’re making in dining onboard and in our United Clubs, we have a number of details to share about changes coming this weekend to every cabin on many of our North and Latin America flights, to offer you restaurant-quality meals. These latest upgrades come in addition to those we made October 25 to premium-cabin dining on our p.s. Premium Service.

For a more in-depth look at the investment we’re making in our food, UnitedAirtime.com now includes insightful foodie stories and a new video about why we want the food we serve to be exciting and interesting – something we’re working on in partnership with The Trotter Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and inspiring new generations of culinary minds.

Here are some highlights of menu changes on flights within the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, and leisure markets in Mexico; which will be reflected beginning November 2 on our united.com North America premium-cabin dining page and Choice Menu page:

p.s. Premium Service enhancements beginning October 25:

Premium-cabin dining changes beginning November 1:
              -New seasonal entrée salads with refreshed protein component served on the side
              -New side salads and transcon/Hawaii starter salads
              -The United Business cabin on three-cabin aircraft will offer all entrée choices served in the United First cabin
              -United Express two-cabin regional jet service will also offer new premium-cabin lunch, dinner and snacks, and expanded lunch meal service to flights longer than three hours
              Choice Menu Bistro on Board changes beginning November 1

We hope many of you have the opportunity to experience these new dining options and we look forward to hearing from you.

-UA Insider
                  Print Wikipost

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
                  All in all a welcome change that I'm sure everyone is looking forward to. Hoping this returns dining standards to levels before the merger.

The only loss that seems to come out of this is 8:01PM and later/redeye flights that lose the cold snack plate and instead get a snack basket only. This is in line with DL; for the redeyes I'm for the most part ok, however there are a lot of 8-9PM flights from IAH/ORD/DEN-West Coast that will definitely be losing meals. If you're connecting through any of these hubs from 50 seat markets/non-F cabin RJS (say STLIAH to IAHLAX), it is definitely a loss.

They should really ensure that FA's are informed about these changes to avoid confusion as well as be ready to deal with people complaining about the loss of food on late evening flights; how many flights lately I've asked for prosecco and the FA's didn't know it was offered, had to reference Hemispheres.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
                  Early Feb I have LGA-IAH-SJD-EWR in F so I am excited to see how this pans out.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:51 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
                  Originally Posted by qukslvr619
                  The only loss that seems to come out of this is 8:01PM and later/redeye flights that lose the cold snack plate and instead get a snack basket only.
                  The other loss I see is afternoon flights in this scenario:

800 to 1,499 miles: Full meal service including 2 entrée choices on most flights departing between 5:00am and 8:00pm. Lunch service will consist of a choice of a protein salad served with soup or premium sandwich paired with a side salad, and dinner service will consist of 2 hot entrée choices served with a side salad. On flights departing between 1:30pm and 3:59pm, and all flights departing after 8:01pm, a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit will be offered.

My read of it is that a 2:00 PM IAD-DEN will no longer get a meal, but get a snack basket instead. Is that correct?
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
                  Great changes
                  I wish they would extend the 8:01PM meal cut-off time to at least 9PM like the transcon flights.

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
                  Originally Posted by qukslvr619
                  All in all a welcome change that I'm sure everyone is looking forward to. Hoping this returns dining standards to levels before the merger.
                  Aside from a few outliers, I think this exceeds the pre-merger dining standards in many ways. Quality, of course, is TBD, but there are some service elements here that we haven't seen at CO or UA in a long time.
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
                  I wonder if "baked-on-board" cookies is really baked-on-board or just "reheated"
                  Reheated, unless they are completely installing new galley ovens with different capabilities. As I explained on another thread:

Originally Posted by Bear96
                  The cookies have always (well at least for the last couple of decades) been "rewarmed," as is everything else in a (U.S. airline) galley. Things are actually "cooked" on the ground.

As to cookies specifically, they come already in the shape you see them when served. They are in tins that way and just reheated in the galley before serving. They are not actually "baked" from raw dough balls on board, if that is what people think. I think I have seen some airlines (maybe UA) saying they are "baked on board" which always makes me chuckle.
                  The galley ovens are pre-set to a certain temperature (I want to say it is supposed to be 180'F, but don't really remember - and they are notorious for being inaccurate), which is only enough to re-heat and not actually "cook" anything that is raw, like cookie dough.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:55 am

There's a photo here

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...lass/22104629/

Looks like the usual presentation, but the new food choices.

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
                  Originally Posted by channa
                  The other loss I see is afternoon flights in this scenario:

800 to 1,499 miles: Full meal service including 2 entrée choices on most flights departing between 5:00am and 8:00pm. Lunch service will consist of a choice of a protein salad served with soup or premium sandwich paired with a side salad, and dinner service will consist of 2 hot entrée choices served with a side salad. On flights departing between 1:30pm and 3:59pm, and all flights departing after 8:01pm, a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit will be offered.

My read of it is that a 2:00 PM IAD-DEN will no longer get a meal, but get a snack basket instead. Is that correct?
                  Eek. I see that too. Won't affect most of my flight times atleast
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
                  well, i really hope this isn't another case of "over promise and under deliver". i guess time will tell. press releases of this nature are generally more optimistic than the product actually delivered at the end of the line really justifies.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:59 am
                  Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
                  I just hope UA doesn't do what AA did and go with low quality meals. I've never been a UA flyer but this makes a change look very interesting.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
                  Originally Posted by JC1120
                  Sounds positive, but I hope there will be an accompanying improvement in freshness and ingredient quality that will be evident to bring me back to eating onboard.
                  +1
                  I had stopped eating on UA domestic flights last year (with the only exception being breakfast which was still decent) due to the awful food.

The dishes described in the announcement sound quite good.....but I agree with the above quote that they need to make sure they improve the general quality of the ingredients.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
                  Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
                  There's a photo here

Between the skillet and these two: "For flights of less than four hours, United says it will offer "a variety of enhanced breakfast choices, such as French toast soufflé or steel-cut oatmeal, both paired with fresh fruit and Greek yogurt"

...might this mean the actual demise of the Jeff McMuffin?!
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
                  Also good that "dinner" will mean "dinner" again on flights like DEN-SFO. Huge thumbs up
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:44 am
                  A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are more details in the full press release:

- Now a choice of cookie flavors like triple chocolate chunk
                  - French toast souffle, steel cut oatmeal, both with fruit and yogurt among the short haul breakfasts
                  - No more sandwiches at dinner. That was a stopgap. Tandoori chicken with basmati rice and paneer is a main course replacement example.
                  - Long mid-cons (4 hours to 5 hrs 19 minutes) - creole shrimp with Carolina grits is an example (sounds yummy)
                  - Hawaii / non PS transcons - tamale stuffed chicken is an example main course (sounds like the one they serve on PS / international)
                  ^^

There's a photo here

The chicken and sausage jambalaya looks good.
                  Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
                  Originally Posted by Seat 1F
                  +1
                  I had stopped eating on UA domestic flights last year (with the only exception being breakfast which was still decent) due to the awful food.
                  Interesting, I think breakfast is the absolute worst meal UA offers (excluding what you get in intl economy).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.