Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by BThumme
From what I see they have no idea, because I give them my card and they go "Um....okay....lemme see here......(looks at computer for 30 second)....I'll let you know if we need you, but I'll hold on to this."

...see if you can push for some alternatives that depart around the same time for the best chance.
That has been my experience too, but just wanted to see if anyone definitively knew whether or not they get a volunteer list.

It's the last flight tonight, so I would most certainly be put on a morning flight (which is fine, I always pack an extra outfit, and I'd be at work earlier than normal if I'm driving right from the airport in the morning).
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
That has been my experience too, but just wanted to see if anyone definitively knew whether or not they get a volunteer list.

It's the last flight tonight, so I would most certainly be put on a morning flight (which is fine, I always pack an extra outfit, and I'd be at work earlier than normal if I'm driving right from the airport in the morning).
I've done this four times (which people here have said is just a glitch at the check-in kiosks), but I haven't yet had one GA say "Oh yeah, I see you on our list."

So unless anyone else here can chime in and they say they've told that, I don't think they really know. Good luck tonight :-:
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Just got to IAD for my 10:15PM flight :roll eyes: (I can guest two into a UC if anyone needs it). When I used the kiosk it said my flight was potentially overbooked so I volunteered, and it printed the volunteer ticket thing.

My question: Later on, does the GA receive a list of all people that have volunteered via kiosk? And if so, is is prioritized based on volunteer time?

I'm just wondering if I need to be one of the first at the gate to give her the volunteer slip if I really want a VDB. Thanks.
I've answered my own question. When I showed up to the gate, before speaking with the GA, I saw my name on the monitor as a volunteer. And since I volunteered more than 7 hours before scheduled take-off, I was number one on the list of course. I guess the kiosk actually does send info along to the gate.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I've answered my own question. When I showed up to the gate, before speaking with the GA, I saw my name on the monitor as a volunteer. And since I volunteered more than 7 hours before scheduled take-off, I was number one on the list of course. I guess the kiosk actually does send info along to the gate.
this must be fairly new. i've never seen a "volunteer list" on a gate monitor. soon, that will become as competitive as the upgrade list.

volunteer #1/7 for 3 VDBs

the TD equivalent will be a reverse auction for who will accept the least compensation (DL already does this so you can bet UA is trying to figure out how to make it work in their IT infrastructure).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 30, 2015 at 9:24 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Question

By monitor you mean the GA's monitor, not the public displays that show upgrade list, seat map, etc????
Old Jul 30, 2015, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Billiken
By monitor you mean the GA's monitor, not the public displays that show upgrade list, seat map, etc????
No, I mean the public displays that rotate through standby list, upgrade list, seating chart, etc.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:42 pm

No, I mean the public displays that rotate through standby list, upgrade list, seating chart, etc.
I've flown 90% of the time through ORD, and will be doing more so at DEN now, and definitely haven't seen it yet. I fly again in two weeks so I'll be sure to check. Does anyone have a trip coming up soon that can check their monitors and report back?

BTW, any luck bumping?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Billiken
This is the screen that TravelTheWorld66 is referring to. It appeared on both of my flights in early July.

Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
What will they think of next. I always liked the early arrival, chat with the GA and see what would happen. This openess is bound to decrease compensation. However, it use to be by status as well (don't know if that's the case these days) during the old UA days. 1K on a Volunteer list was very productive. Once got back to back $400 vouchers (old $100 coupons) those were the days..
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:54 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs down Thank You SHARES

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
However, it use to be by status as well (don't know if that's the case these days) during the old UA days.
IIRC, there's no VDB "priority" by status now.

Thank you for your business/loyalty.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Yeah I have seen the VDB lists on the monitors at the gates... I have always been #1 on the lists... not sure if it goes by status, or simply first to come (I always check in on-line 24 hours prior to departure).

As for compensation amounts... I believe that depends very heavily on the following:

1) If the plane was down-gauged DoD or has weight restriction, the compensation will be $300 tops. This is not a reportable issue to DoT, and is covered under different guidelines. They will NEVER budge higher on these because anyone that is IDB'ed in these situations is not due IDB compensation (cashier's check / cold hard cash).

2) If the plane is truly oversold (no circumstances from #1), the compensation amount will depend heavily on how badly overbooked the flight it. The one I had a couple weeks ago was an ERJ-145 that was 6 over. They instantly started at $500 for this one, as the last flight of the day was also oversold and nothing was available until the next day to ELM. In other circumstances... such as A320 only over by 1 or 2... compensation may start out at $200, especially if there are other options to get people to the destinations without much delay.

Openness with the GA's will only earn you kudos.... That helped one out in IAH... they were offering $300 for 4 VDB's... since I was able to accommodate them, they upped it to $400 for both myself and my better half, and did the same offer for anyone else (no takers... IDB'ed 2 ppl). GA's will not punish you for helping them to figure out a good alternative.

Last edited by jjmoore; Jul 31, 2015 at 3:47 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
Volunteer List and Check In Time

It seems that when I check in later, I get asked to be on the volunteer list, but never when I check in at T-24. For example for a flight tomorrow, I checked in about 12 hours ago, right at T-24, and there were still ~8 seats for sale. Now the flight is completely sold out, and I am guessing if I were checking in now I would be asked to be added to the list. However I like to check in early to have my pick of E+ seats.

Has anyone else noticed that checking in later is more likely to get you asked to be added to the volunteer list? Is there anyway to get the prompt again after checking in, but before arriving to the gate?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by aza72
It seems that when I check in later, I get asked to be on the volunteer list, but never when I check in at T-24. For example for a flight tomorrow, I checked in about 12 hours ago, right at T-24, and there were still ~8 seats for sale. Now the flight is completely sold out, and I am guessing if I were checking in now I would be asked to be added to the list. However I like to check in early to have my pick of E+ seats.

Has anyone else noticed that checking in later is more likely to get you asked to be added to the volunteer list? Is there anyway to get the prompt again after checking in, but before arriving to the gate?
Goto a Kiosk when you get to the airport and check in again. I always check in T-24 and never been asked. I goto the airport kiosk (really only to print a boarding pass to have) and it asks me.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by BThumme
Goto a Kiosk when you get to the airport and check in again. I always check in T-24 and never been asked. I goto the airport kiosk (really only to print a boarding pass to have) and it asks me.
That has been my exact experience as well!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: United-Gold, Marriott-Plat, Hertz Gold 5 Star
CMH-EWR was overbooked yesterday morning. They were looking for two volunteers, offering $150. People tried, but found they would've missed their connecting flights, so no takers. Upped to $300. Same problem, no takers due to possible missed connections. Finally got to $400, found two takers.

However, this wasn't the end of it. There was a deadheading FA that needed to get to EWR that somehow didn't get a seat. Everybody boards, doors close, jetway pulled away, but flight isn't taking off. I was in 2A; 1A was another deadheading crewmember going to EWR. I heard him talking to the pilots and FA saying the deadheading FA had to get on the plane; it was company business. Jetway rolls back, doors open, and GA comes on the plane asking for a volunteer. I was within a second of saying I'll give up my seat for $1,000 (I figured if they were stopping the plane, they must be desperate, and why not get greedy?), but before I could, a couple took his offer $400 (each, I'm assuming) and food vouchers

I was laughing to myself the whole flight back-pretty poor showing for UA; someone somewhere dropped the ball pretty hard (the app said delayed due to "operational difficulties", which was also pretty hilarious).

My question though was what were my chances of getting $1,000? Anyone out there ever get one so high? What seems to be the upper limit for compensation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.