Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
wow, over by 9. i'm greedy, but i'd have pushed even harder than that if i had the info that they were over by that many. still, pretty solid result.
I would have asked for more but the GA told me that $500 is the maximum they are allowed to give for domestic flights. Is that correct? Anyways, she was really nice and I was happy with the outcome so I didn't push too hard.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
UA950, IAD-BRU, last night was offering $300. Unsure of what the alternate flights were, but that's pretty cheap..
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
UA950, IAD-BRU, last night was offering $300. Unsure of what the alternate flights were, but that's pretty cheap..
Pathetic offer.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:06 am

UA3335 IAD-PHL on 6/28, was flying from TUL and offer at checkin was $100. When my buddy and I got to the gate at IAD, the offer was $700 each for two passengers. When we approached the GA, he said that they actually needed three passengers to volunteer, so the offer was bumped to $900! We just ended up renting a car and driving to Philly. No idea why the VDB was that high for a 25 min flight.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
That flight must have been massively overbooked in Y, there were still something like 15 premium cabin seats open at T-3, with no pax waitlisted. (See CMK10's report about silly expensive buy-up offers here.)
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
That flight must have been massively overbooked in Y, there were still something like 15 premium cabin seats open at T-3, with no pax waitlisted. (See CMK10's report about silly expensive buy-up offers here.)
There were also different buy-ups for him and another FTer (both with UA status) and myself (no status).

Odd system..
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
UA 3981 RDU-IAD (E75) is oversold by one. They started at $300 and got up to $400 when someone bit. I tried but the agents didn't really seem interested in seeing if they could get me to TXL
This one got interesting. The person who "bit" couldn't go through with it so when I boarded they tried to entice me. After the agents had been rude and dismissive to me I was not interested in helping them. Eventually, a GA had to come on the plane and up the offer to $500 until someone took it.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Ridiculous isn't it? I know there were a bunch of OP Ups.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
I would have asked for more but the GA told me that $500 is the maximum they are allowed to give for domestic flights. Is that correct?
no, that is not correct at all. see the post above regarding $900 for IAD-PHL, for instance. $500 is the maximum this particular GA wanted to give you.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, KF
DLH to ORD, $700. Not bad for a one hour flight.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
DFW-IAH, standard $100 verbiage at kiosk, GA called me up by name to offer $300 and rerouting direct DFW-PHL (my final destination) on AA. Took the offer. Aisle E- seat in AA, was ok, service on par with UA.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by miasmal
DFW-IAH, standard $100 verbiage at kiosk, GA called me up by name to offer $300 and rerouting direct DFW-PHL (my final destination) on AA. Took the offer. Aisle E- seat in AA, was ok, service on par with UA.
Don't forget to double-dip miles on AA and UA (ORC).
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:10 am

Hi all ,

I was checking in for my flight tmr Singapore to Tokyo and was been shown "one or more of your flights today may be overbooked" and stated if i am willing to be on the bump list. I am a Y pax no status or whatsort ever with a newly created mileageplus account.

I clicked "yes" and checked in subsequently.

Since its my first time doing this , could the experts kindly advise what sort of procedures i would be going thru like signing a voluntary form etc and also if any one could teach me how to negotiate with him in terms of the compensation offered.

After signing the voluntary bump , would i be able to decline the offer should the offer be too cheap? or obligated to be bump without any permission from me.

As UA only has 1 flight per day out of singapore , would they bump me to fellow star alliance partners like in singapore case : eg SQ.

Thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by ephraimlong
Hi all ,

I was checking in for my flight tmr Singapore to Tokyo and was been shown "one or more of your flights today may be overbooked" and stated if i am willing to be on the bump list. I am a Y pax no status or whatsort ever with a newly created mileageplus account.

Since its my first time doing this , could the experts kindly advise what sort of procedures i would be going thru like signing a voluntary form etc and also if any one could teach me how to negotiate with him in terms of the compensation offered.

After signing the voluntary bump , would i be able to decline the offer should the offer be too cheap? or obligated to be bump without any permission from me.

As UA only has 1 flight per day out of singapore , would they bump me to fellow star alliance partners like in singapore case : eg SQ.

Thanks!
Hi, and Welcome to FT. Yoou have the Final Say if you would like to accept. I would do some research on what other flights would be acceptable for you to take. The Gate Agents like when you are prepared. Look them up, write them down and have them ready. Get to the Gate early, hand in your slip. Say that you would like to Volunteer, have Carry On Luggage ( very important) and show your easy to work with, prepared and most of all flexible. Dont bug them, they know your there (sit close to the gate in eye shot) and read the following to help step up your game. Yes, they will book you on other Star Flights, so look at those for your best alternates. Good luck and let us know how you made out:

http://www.quora.com/What-can-you-do...bump-on-United

Safe Travels..
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Hi, and Welcome to FT. Yoou have the Final Say if you would like to accept. I would do some research on what other flights would be acceptable for you to take. The Gate Agents like when you are prepared. Look them up, write them down and have them ready. Get to the Gate early, hand in your slip. Say that you would like to Volunteer, have Carry On Luggage ( very important) and show your easy to work with, prepared and most of all flexible. Dont bug them, they know your there (sit close to the gate in eye shot) and read the following to help step up your game. Yes, they will book you on other Star Flights, so look at those for your best alternates. Good luck and let us know how you made out:

http://www.quora.com/What-can-you-do...bump-on-United

Safe Travels..

Thanks FT... I will have a check in baggage actually! Whats the offer that i could negotiate for? I haven been on the J or F in my life so can i request for it and get a few hundred dollars voucher?

I mean...tell me what would you want to get if you are in my shoes... a 10 days holiday trip to japan with no commitments/meetings...but hotels are booked at destination..you know?

Let me know please
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by ephraimlong
Hi all ,

Thanks!
Who knew UA could even be competitive intra-Asia? If that's the 6:10 departure from SIN, showing its selling 1 first, 1 business and 5 economy tickets for that flight ATTM. Will be interested to hear how it works or doesn't work out for you. Welcome to FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.