Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PATRLR
Yep, Mrs. PATRLR and I were on that flight, connecting to PDX. Got the $800 certs, put us in the Embassy Suites across the street, and got us to our destination about 22 hours later than planned which was perfectly fine with us because we planned to fly that day anyway but couldn't find an award ticket for that day.

Oh - and they flew us to our destination on Delta in First Class.

So for the cost of 2 standard awards we got to our destination in FC and we've got $1600 to spend on future flights.
On the return leg of that same trip, EWR-BOS they wanted volunteers. $500 and get home about 4 hours late. We stepped up and the GA said "you got it" and then started trying to find one more. And he worked hard to find that one more, which he did. Waiting for them to finish boarding so they can process us, suddenly he starts making annoucnements looking for 5 specific passengers. Turns out, 5 people checked in but no showed at the gate. He called us up handed us our passes and on board we went (fortunately, he didn't give away our seats)
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Flying out of A gates at IAD last Thursday to ATL, I must have heard at least 4 cities that were offering $400 for bumps plus hotel on the last flights of the night. Fast forward to Sunday night in ATL and I was offered $150 and hotel for overnight bump. I countered with $400, since that was the standard at IAD, but the GA said no can do. Since I was with my family I declined the bump. With taxi from IAD to home, I would have netted less than $100. Sure not worth it for a 6 am flight.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
UA1242 IAH-DEN 03/22/15 downgaged from 787 to 752Int T-48

V fare, CPUed at T-96. At T-48 got an email from UA regarding the flight with an offer to change flights. Surprisingly I kept the upgrade after the downgage.

Called UA. Took an early flight, 1.5 hrs earlier, with confirmed R seat also in 752Int, and $300 ecert.

Seems more than fair to me
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I think it is ludicrous to take a bump that involves an overnight stay for $<400 ...... I can't see a situation where UA wins by taking IDBs in such situations.... Unless they are IDBing award tickets that will likely not be compensated much due to the value of their tickets. I have turned down a couple such VDB situations simply because I didn't think a 24 hour inconvenience was worth that.... Especially on a Friday night.

Just curious... Do you know how a IDB on an award ticket is compensated? .... Based on the DOT literature... It doesn't look good for that person.
I believe the IDB Compensation for Award Tickets is tied to the Average of the Paid Tickets (I remember reading something somewhere) I'm curious as well. And for some thought it may be tied to the "lowest" revenue ticket as well.. Thanks and Safe Travels
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Chase Presidential Plus
MKE-IAH on Thursday late afternoon, was offered $500 to fly through Chicago, with a first class seat for the ORD-IAH segment (arriving 3 hours later). Accepted, but at the last minute a seat opened up and I wasn't needed. The gate agent noted that she started at $500 because most are reluctant to give up a seat on the direct flight. They didn't announce what the alternate flight was during the announcement, so I'm guessing most expected that they would not get out until the next morning.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never agree on the kiosk, figuring they would be more desperate and offer better compensation if they see no volunteers on the list.

A gate agent told me that even if I agreed to xxx amount on the kiosk, the final amount is what they end up offering.

So, I still don't know what is the proper way to do this.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:07 am

SFO-CDG-MUC in E+

With the Lufthansa strike, I guess there was a bit of overbooking on any reasonable itinerary getting into Germany. Didn't get on a list but overheard a GA asking someone on the plane after I had settled in. Inquired and told her I didn't have any checked bags.

Got an SFO-ORD-MUC the next day in First / BusinessFirst, a $400 voucher and got to go home to spend some more time with the lady. Declined a hotel voucher.

The person that got my seat was really appreciative.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by username
I never agree on the kiosk, figuring they would be more desperate and offer better compensation if they see no volunteers on the list.

A gate agent told me that even if I agreed to xxx amount on the kiosk, the final amount is what they end up offering.

I always say yes at the kiosk because it adds you to the list. Some non-contractor employees still make the decision at the gate based on status and other factors, but most contractor employees go strictly off the order of the list.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by njcommodore
I always say yes at the kiosk because it adds you to the list. Some non-contractor employees still make the decision at the gate based on status and other factors, but most contractor employees go strictly off the order of the list.
in your experience, does status help or hinder a willingness to take a VDB? i'm unsure whether UA would want to get FFs on their way, or be responsive to a willingness to take a bump.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by riphamilton
in your experience, does status help or hinder a willingness to take a VDB? i'm unsure whether UA would want to get FFs on their way, or be responsive to a willingness to take a bump.
Both.

If you're in F as a result of an upgrade, an agent may be reluctant to use you if they have other volunteers and/or they're unable to (or afraid to) reaccommodate you in F on the replacement flight.

However, if you have status and as a result, knowledge of schedules/options/etc., it may help since you may be easier to deal with.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 11:14 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by njcommodore

As do I as all it does is get you on the list as if you say no at the kiosk and ask at the gate, you run the risk of being told that they have enough volunteers

Originally Posted by channa
Originally Posted by riphamilton
Both.

If you're in F as a result of an upgrade, an agent may be reluctant to use you if they have other volunteers and/or they're unable to (or afraid to) reaccommodate you in F on the replacement flight.

However, if you have status and as a result, knowledge of schedules/options/etc., it may help since you may be easier to deal with.
Or the agent doesn't know how to VDB an F pax if economy is oversold. Not as big of a problem now but shortly after the merger and system conversion, mostly only PMCO truly knew how to do it and if you were dealing with a PMUA agent, they more often had to call to get it done (something about underselling F to get you out of first so they could get you off the flight)
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by goalie
Or the agent doesn't know how to VDB an F pax if economy is oversold. Not as big of a problem now but shortly after the merger and system conversion, mostly only PMCO truly knew how to do it and if you were dealing with a PMUA agent, they more often had to call to get it done (something about underselling F to get you out of first so they could get you off the flight)
Yes and no. The issue is not VDBing, the issue is adding the passenger to the VDB list.

If they ignore the list and do it manually, they're fine. If they insist on putting the pax on the VDB list, that's where it gets hairy, and you encounter some resistance because adding an F passenger is more difficult.

I've seen it on both sides, depending on how the station wants to manage the VDB process.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver
This has been my experience. I volunteered at one amount (maybe $200) and ended up getting $400.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Feb 15, UA895 VDB due to weather/overbooking.
about 30 pax got rebooked on CX 807 w/ $400 voucher. Response were good, almost everyone wanted to be rebooked on CX, and $400 for 2 hours late is not a bad deal.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by yourbackseatkiller
Feb 15, UA895 VDB due to weather/overbooking.
about 30 pax got rebooked on CX 807 w/ $400 voucher. Response were good, almost everyone wanted to be rebooked on CX, and $400 for 2 hours late is not a bad deal.
UA should have asked any volunteers willing to pay United $100 to be moved to a Cathay Pacific flight instead. They'd probably get their 30 pax and $12,000 less in vouchers on the books

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.