Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump on UA [2015]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by UK Stages
today, may 18th, EWR to DFW, flight 1161... looking for four volunteers, offered $500 at gate when i first arrived, went up to $700 shortly before boarding. they were offering middle seats on a flight six hours later, which didn't work for me, so i declined and boarded. they did get and use all four volunteers @$700.
did you ask them if they'd put you on AA1078 which left at basically the same time? or AA1476 which left about 2 hours later?
Old May 19, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i did ask about endorsing to AA (i'm lifetime platinum and a 2 million miler; it's only because of my extensive transpac travel the past few years that i've found myself on UA metal. it's a constant source of amusement that i now fly to dallas - of all places - via UA's limited schedule.) i would not have realistically been able to make 1078 and the gate agent said there were no other available flights.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Can I use a VDB voucher towards the cost of a United Club membership? They just removed UCs from my Priority Pass Prestige membership, and I would hate to have to spend $475 out of pocket for membership given that I just spent $319 for my PP membership a few months ago.
Old May 24, 2015, 9:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
Can I use a VDB voucher towards the cost of a United Club membership? ...
No -- you can use miles.

Originally Posted by TravelTheWorld66
... They just removed UCs from my Priority Pass Prestige membership, and I would hate to have to spend $475 out of pocket for membership given that I just spent $319 for my PP membership a few months ago.
Try asking for a refund?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rity-pass.html
Old May 25, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Question about proper VDB/Bump Compensation

I just got to LAX for my flight to NYC and was prompted at checkin If I wanted to volunteer for compensation to volunteer for the next available flight. I have never done this before so I'm curious what would fair compensation be. I have a afternoon flight and would be bumped a few flights later to the evening (which I have no problem with as I'm in no hurry). I was told they need 11 volunteers and are offering $200. Is this a standard amount or should I ask for more? Also I am in E+ (on a PS flight), could I ask for business class? I would really appreciate the advice!
Old May 25, 2015, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
There is no "proper" VDB compensation - since its voluntary, its all on what people are willing to accept. If you think $200 is enough, then take it, if not, then try to get more, noting that they may find enough people willing to take less that they don't need you. Not to mention that at some point, they may just IDB instead, where there are amounts they are legally required to give out. They would rather take a VDB then IDB though - IDBs are tracked by the DOT and VDBs aren't, plus the latter generally cost less as they give out less and can do TVCs instead of $.

Typically, I believe a "standard" amount used to be closer to $400 in TVC, but it really depends on the situation, how many people they need, how badly, how many people are taking, etc. It may not be that high anymore, its been a while for me. The $200 offer may go up, or they may find that 11 people miss the cut off to check in or time to be at the gate, or misconnect, etc. and then they don't need anyone. So even fi getting the offer at checkin, they may not need you at all. It usually comes down to the last minute.
Old May 25, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Based on my recent experience and reding this thread (just go back a few pages), $200 is peanuts. I'd put my name on the list, and then wait for the offer to increase at the gate. Personally, I'd wait for at least $400.

However, as the prior post said, if $200 works for you, take it. Or, hold out and risk getting nothing.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by xkr0p
I was told they need 11 volunteers and are offering $200. Is this a standard amount or should I ask for more? Also I am in E+ (on a PS flight), could I ask for business class? I would really appreciate the advice!
If they really need eleven pax, they're probably going to have to offer more than $200.

It's a negotiation. Not uncommon for UA to offer F on a later flight. Just depends on how desperate they are (and availability of seats on later flights, which could be an issue on the last day of a three-day weekend).
Old May 25, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Not my flight, but UA offering $500 to 2 volunteers to VDB for BTV-IAD. There are worse things than being stuck in Vermont for extra time.

Will be interested to see if my flight later (BTV-EWR) will have any offers...looks fully booked as of now
Old May 25, 2015, 9:17 pm

4/26 (sorry for the delay) I jumped at $600 for EWR-PWM when offered at the gate on my way from RSW. It was the last flight so Hotel and meal vouchers were included. Confirmed in F on the rebooked flight (I had received CPU on flight I walked off of). Sky train/shuttle was a bit of a pain to the Ramada but it wasn't a dreadful hotel.
Old May 26, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
This past weekend volunteered on SFO LAX on saturday and LAX IAH on monday. Both flights were fully booked but no VDB at check in cut off time

I thought that both routes could be good candidates on busy days.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xkr0p
I just got to LAX for my flight to NYC and was prompted at checkin If I wanted to volunteer for compensation to volunteer for the next available flight. I have never done this before so I'm curious what would fair compensation be. I have a afternoon flight and would be bumped a few flights later to the evening (which I have no problem with as I'm in no hurry). I was told they need 11 volunteers and are offering $200. Is this a standard amount or should I ask for more? Also I am in E+ (on a PS flight), could I ask for business class? I would really appreciate the advice!
I know this is too late for you, but I'd like to share my strategy for offers that are too low. I decide how much the delay is worth to me, then tell the agent I'll volunteer if the compensation is raised to that amount. I make my offer nicely, and quietly (so other passengers don't hear).

If the agent seems interested, I quickly summarize what I can do to make the transaction easier (e.g. no checked baggage; no onward flights, or tell her my final destination; time/day flexibility; where I'll be sitting during the wait; and, if taken, the agent can finish the paperwork after the flight has closed).

I got a $500 bump last week because of these things. The agent took me over two other people because, she said, I was easiest to deal with. However, I also lost out on a $500 overnight VDB in April. I offered $800, since I was in First Class. In retrospect, I should have have offered to take $500 on the condition that I be booked in First on the new flight.

Last edited by Lori_Q; May 26, 2015 at 9:54 am
Old May 28, 2015, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Counter agent at IAD:

"Yes, my computer says we're oversold by 4 seats. We have 1 person on the volunteer list, we need 3 more."

(Tries to add pax to list.) "Hmm, it's not working."

(Calls help desk.) "It says 'volunteers not needed in cabin.' Even in SHARES it's not letting me put the pax on the list. What do I do? Oh, it's not letting me add this pax because they're in F instead of Y? Okay. Oh, I'm okay?" (Hangs up.)

"Thanks for offering your seat. We don't think we need anyone after all. Also, just so you know, first class passengers can never volunteer."

Oof. This is un-fixable. (I mean, *I* know how to fix this in SHARES, but not my job.) Hopefully they don't IDB anyone.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Heard a story from my stepfather being offered $700 to VDB on DEN-SAF. I have never gotten any of these astronomical offers my parents are getting! Clearly on the wrong flights
Old May 28, 2015, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Counter agent at IAD:

"Yes, my computer says we're oversold by 4 seats. We have 1 person on the volunteer list, we need 3 more."

(Tries to add pax to list.) "Hmm, it's not working."

(Calls help desk.) "It says 'volunteers not needed in cabin.' Even in SHARES it's not letting me put the pax on the list. What do I do? Oh, it's not letting me add this pax because they're in F instead of Y? Okay. Oh, I'm okay?" (Hangs up.)

"Thanks for offering your seat. We don't think we need anyone after all. Also, just so you know, first class passengers can never volunteer."

Oof. This is un-fixable. (I mean, *I* know how to fix this in SHARES, but not my job.) Hopefully they don't IDB anyone.
Hear this all the time when I try to volunteer in paid or upgraded F. It's possible, but a huge pain in the butt. Sometimes they just take my boarding pass to remind them I will volunteer. If they take me (and they have), I just tell them to process everyone else before me so they can call support to eventually process me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.