Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2015 MileagePlus Change-PQD increased to $3k / $6k / $9k / $12k

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today MileagePlus updated the Premier qualification requirements for 2016.

Effective January 1, 2015, we are adjusting the PQD requirement for Premier status qualification for all Premier levels:
  • Silver: $3,000
  • Gold: $6,000
  • Platinum: $9,000
  • 1K: $12,000
This change affects 2016 Premier status qualification which is based on 2015 flight activity. You can find more information about the updated requirements and PQD waivers by visiting this link.

We will communicate this information to members shortly.

-UA Insider
From UA:

Subject: Updated MileagePlus Premier requirements for 2016 status

"Our best customers come first"

"Customers who do more business with us should enjoy our best benefits.

Last year, we introduced Premier® qualifying dollars (PQD) so customers who spend more with us can enjoy more access to benefits like Premier upgrades, Economy Plus® seating and Premier Access®. On January 1, 2015, we will adjust our PQD requirement for 2016 Premier status."

Then the new chart with $3K, $6K, $9K, $12K

"The PQD requirement only applies to members who live in the U.S. and can be waived for members who hold a United® MileagePlus® Presidential PlusSM Card, or members who spend $25,000 or more in Net Purchases in 2015 on MileagePlus co-branded credit cards issued by Chase Bank, N.A.. The PQD waiver does not apply for Premier 1K® status."

From inquiry on why
.... over the years members have told us that they want to be recognized for how much they pay to fly those miles. This change also reflects a trend that has been emerging in loyalty programs across many industries and among our competitors. ...
MileagePlus® Service Center
Print Wikipost

2015 MileagePlus Change-PQD increased to $3k / $6k / $9k / $12k

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:34 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by JBord
Not unexpected.

I wonder how and when they'll push communication on this. That's usually where UA goes from bad to worse.

In my opinion, its always better to announce a change before silently posting on your web site. That always results in chatter, rumors, and negative publicity.
Tomorrow is Friday.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Doesn't affect me either as I'm over $12k this year and may not even make Platinum.

But I don't agree with the logic that things will be better for 1K's as a result. I think the majority of 1K's are like me, where the PQD threshold is not really an issue. Its just that this forum is built on a history of fliers who collaborated to get as much out of frequent flying for as little spend as possible...all fair and above board, there's nothing wrong with doing that. But it makes for a disproportionate sample.

What I believe you should be concerned about is we're starting to see frequent changes that don't benefit customers. So you might be fine with it now, but at some point soon it's going to impact you, and me. As others have noted, there is a lot of taking without much giving back to customers.

I feel the same way about RDM earning. I actually do better under the new scheme (even a little better if I only make Platinum), but that's just for now...
Is there a place on your "My Account" page on .bomb where you can see your total PQD? Mine just says "Over $10,000".
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
If only I had a choice...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Scuba2P
The concealment of this change is very troublesome....
It's on the UA qualification page. It's not concealed. I bet UA views FT not as an asset, but an annoyance.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Is there a place on your "My Account" page on .bomb where you can see your total PQD? Mine just says "Over $10,000".
If you go to "activity since your last statement" it should show your current total:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...tActivity.aspx
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Yes, click on "View Activity Since My Last Statement" in the Account Summary section.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I don't agree with the logic that things will be better for 1K's as a result... we're starting to see frequent changes that don't benefit customers. So you might be fine with it now, but at some point soon it's going to impact you, and me. As others have noted, there is a lot of taking without much giving back to customers.
The wistful hope that if UA just culls the elite ranks enough, those left will enjoy some kind of airborne Valhalla and be lavished with perks and rewards, is a sad fantasy. Across the board, UA is seeing how low they can go and still hang on to some loyalists. This management has no record of going any extra miles for HVFs.

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i can't wait until the other shoe falls (next economic downturn) and the airlines have to come back begging with their mea culpa.
Maybe -- the business is cyclical -- but life is different in a three-airline world. The real contest now is between the big-network oligarchy, run like unresponsive public utilities, and the limited-network B tier which still has some service / value consciousness.

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Embarrassing how UA has settled for the role of Follow the Leader.
Still number one in DOT complaints though.

Originally Posted by Scuba2P
The concealment of this change is very troublesome. There was no "heads up" from UA insider, no email (for me yet), and no announcement/link on the home page.
It looks like they have deteriorated to the point where they feel there's no point in explaining themselves anymore.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DENflyer3
While my response will not be the norm on this board, I am absolutely fine with this change. Maybe it will reduce the volume of 1k's to a point that being 1k may mean something.
I've booked 102k PQM at ~12.5k PQD up to in 2015 up through July.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Where is UA Insider? Hello? This should have been announced. I have trips booked well into 2015, it would have been nice to have a heads up.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
This is a bit of a shoulder shrug for me. PQD is not my problem - I'm well over $12k right now, but will come in just barely over 100k PQM this year.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by chavala
Where is UA Insider? Hello? This should have been announced. I have trips booked well into 2015, it would have been nice to have a heads up.
DL already announced it on behalf of UA Insider. Just spend more time on the DL board so you know in advance what is coming.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by villox
If you go to "activity since your last statement" it should show your current total:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...tActivity.aspx
Thanks.^
There must've been something wrong with my account page because when I clicked on it from my account, it wouldn't show the total, just a dash, but when I clicked on your link while logged in, I got it. Weird, eh?
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:56 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
AA has shown no inclination to date to pursue spend thresholds. It will be interesting to see how their program performs vis-a-vis DL and UA's over the next couple of years if they keep it that way.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:57 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
But I don't agree with the logic that things will be better for 1K's as a result. I think the majority of 1K's are like me, where the PQD threshold is not really an issue. Its just that this forum is built on a history of fliers who collaborated to get as much out of frequent flying for as little spend as possible...all fair and above board, there's nothing wrong with doing that. But it makes for a disproportionate sample.

What I believe you should be concerned about is we're starting to see frequent changes that don't benefit customers.
Couldnt have said better. I think the exclusivity of status is slowly going away. Yes, upgrades instruments were available to elites, now UA believes they can capitalize on the general population by giving cheap gate upgrades buy-ups. RDMs were a thing you could collect by flying, and now butt-in-seat miles are a minority of redeemed miles. Perhaps the fundamental belief of customer-loyalty and giving-back is something UA is believing less and less in.

I think raising the PQD requirement doesn't help UA win loyalty. It helps UA filter out people who simply fly a lot and can pay for it. There is nothing UA has done in the last several years that will instill more "passion" or "trust" into this crowd. I think UA is just complicating the problem for itself and diverting attention from the fact that most flyers are not getting rewards worthy for loyalty.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
UA could save even more money if they just fired the entire Mileage Plus staff, and just let the IT department implement whatever DL offers in it FF program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.