Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to end JFK-IAD Service, Effective 25 October 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Micp3208

I live in NJ and I won't drive to JFK or LGA because of the distance, though plenty of my friends and family will go to NYC airports or PHL, based on the right price points or connections. I am hopeful one of those JFK-IAD flights can go to ACY. I know it won't happen, but we can dream.
ACY is a different market. It'd make more sense to replace ACY-IAH with ACY-IAD r/ts. Maybe three or four r/ts be done in the time that it takes to operate a single ACY-IAH, and provide much better use to United's network.

As for IAD-JFK, I think UA could replace it with IAD-ISP. It could then possibly sell the JFK slot pairs that were used for IAD-JFK. Possibly Southwest, Frontier or Spirit would be interested in JFK slot pairs. Arguably, if Southwest ran JFK-BWI (perhaps moving it's ISP-BWI over to JFK), it'd just feed Southwest's nascent international network at BWI. JetBlue would be impacted if competing LCCs started covering JFK, but it depends more on what routes and how big the other LCCs would become.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
I would love it if UA flew into Islip! That would mean I could be on LI without having to negotiate down down traffic!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by username
I wonder if they look at profitability by single routes (and use some kind of mileage-pro-rated allocation for connections) OR they actually think about the impact network.
The latter.
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is the key point. It's a devaluation of the *A network.
Not by much. The *A carriers who serve JFK and not IAD mostly have other partners to get passengers on to IAD anyways (the much more logical SIN-LHR-IAD with VS TATL, for example). There is minimal feed from UA to those long-haul flights. It is a low-yielding market and in an operating environment where 50-seat flights are getting cut this is quite a rational decision.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbm12

Not by much. The *A carriers who serve JFK and not IAD mostly have other partners to get passengers on to IAD anyways (the much more logical SIN-LHR-IAD with VS TATL, for example). There is minimal feed from UA to those long-haul flights. It is a low-yielding market and in an operating environment where 50-seat flights are getting cut this is quite a rational decision.
Perhaps not in practical terms, but it undercuts the purpose of the alliance for those carriers to rely on other airlines for their US domestic feed. It would be like UA relying on AB rather than LH at FRA.

Of course, we see this already with *A partners such as SQ and NZ preferring to sell domestic connections on airlines other than UA.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by 787fan
i meant local O&D as in they fly only JFK-IAD with no connections before or after that flight.

DL is 2x daily ERJ. B6 is 2x daily E90. The local O&D market is absolutely miniscule.
Not true, not even close. The market is plenty big to support a lot more flights as it has for years and years. What changed to make this less valuable? There are more people with more money, who want to go to more places in NoVa than ever before. How can there be less demand today than 10 years ago? The answer is there isn't.

What changed is that you have bad business people making bad decisions. When you take away everyone's options a "small" O&D becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Crappy flights, at crappy times, at crappy prices drives people to other options. Which of course makes bad business managers believe that there is no market for their services, so they quit for what is allegedly "greener" pastures. Woe betide to them when it starts to become apparent that there aren't any greener pastures. Not sure what they do then but shrink away into oblivion.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:17 am

Perhaps not in practical terms, but it undercuts the purpose of the alliance for those carriers to rely on other airlines for their US domestic feed. It would be like UA relying on AB rather than LH at FRA.

Of course, we see this already with *A partners such as SQ and NZ preferring to sell domestic connections on airlines other than UA.
The alliance is set up to allow seamless connections, not to force them. And there's the part where the number of passengers who need these flights for those connections is tiny. Even if the IAD-JFK flights were ONLY passengers connecting to long-haul at JFK there are only a tiny number where that makes sense.

Originally Posted by Billygreg
Not true, not even close. The market is plenty big to support a lot more flights as it has for years and years. What changed to make this less valuable? There are more people with more money, who want to go to more places in NoVa than ever before. How can there be less demand today than 10 years ago? The answer is there isn't.
Yes, there is. The market has changed significantly since a decade ago. More destinations are now available non-stop from IAD without the JFK connection (or vv). More destinations are available with other connections rather than requiring the JFK-IAD hop. UA now has a major hub in the NYC area, something they most certainly did not have 10 years ago. And the cost to operate these flights is rather different than 10 years ago as well.

There are plenty of people in NoVa and NYC who have money and want to travel. Very, very few of them do it by connecting at the other site en route.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, there is. The market has changed significantly since a decade ago. More destinations are now available non-stop from IAD without the JFK connection (or vv). More destinations are available with other connections rather than requiring the JFK-IAD hop. UA now has a major hub in the NYC area, something they most certainly did not have 10 years ago. And the cost to operate these flights is rather different than 10 years ago as well.

There are plenty of people in NoVa and NYC who have money and want to travel. Very, very few of them do it by connecting at the other site en route.
Sorry, you missed the point pretty dramatically. Don't care about connections. I was told there is no O&D market in NoVa to go to LI. And I can tell you that is not true. And by the way, a hub in Newark most certainly helps no one to get to Long Island.

The UA flights to LGA and JFK have gotten crappier and crappier over the years, more expensive, more inconvenient, less reliable. All because UA made bad decisions based on bad self-fulfilling information, whether it was the old UA or this new (kinder and gentler) UA. Bad business decisions based on bad information remain just bad decisions.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Billygreg

What changed is that you have bad business people making bad decisions. When you take away everyone's options a "small" O&D becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Crappy flights, at crappy times, at crappy prices drives people to other options. Which of course makes bad business managers believe that there is no market for their services, so they quit for what is allegedly "greener" pastures. Woe betide to them when it starts to become apparent that there aren't any greener pastures. Not sure what they do then but shrink away into oblivion.
Please show the numbers about this large O&D between Long island and northern VA that you allege exists. I've shown you the flight schedules that neither DL nor B6 think it's big at all. I can't find one single airline that flies any 100+ seat jets between those 2 airports.

And I don't recall UA ever having a IAD-ISP flight, even back in the hay days when IAD was a meaningful hub. (Neither does WN)
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:00 am

Please show the numbers about this large O&D between Long island and northern VA that you allege exists. I've shown you the flight schedules that neither DL nor B6 think it's big at all. I can't find one single airline that flies any 100+ seat jets between those 2 airports.

And I don't recall UA ever having a IAD-ISP flight, even back in the hay days when IAD was a meaningful hub. (Neither does WN)
Talking about today's flights is ridiculous because it just reflects the results of years of cuts and retreats and the lack of demand to justify the cuts becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. No one is flying so therefore no one wants to. There used to be a morning a319 to LGA and an evening 757, the JFK flights were at least CRJ700 sometimes. Now, we are done with JFK, down to 4 flights to LGA with that likely on its last legs as well. As I said every consumer who used it for O&D has abandoned this route because they kept cutting and cutting. I used to fly it all the time (4-5x a year). Now I drive 5 hours because they have made it so painful and inconvenient to fly. They have no idea what the demand is because they drove it away, and it won't come back.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
so that means the only UA presence at JFK will be the p.s. flights? that's pretty small. p.s. must be raking in a boatload of money i would imagine to maintain all that infrastructure and presence at a major airport just for two destinations.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:27 am

And why can't LGA-IAD-XXX handle those ?
LGA and JFK aren't necessarily the same market.

Originally Posted by EWR764
JFK has the largest portfolio of international flights of any US airport. The passengers who would deliberately choose JFK-IAD-XXX are most likely the least profitable segment of the given market (i.e., not paying a premium to fly UAL) with nonstop options available.

Yes, the JFK-IAD cut weakens the network from a theoretical standpoint, but who is to say that the route was definitely contributing profitable feed to the system? Perhaps UA has identified a more economical use for those slots?
None of us can say for sure whether JFK-IAD contributed profitable feed to the system. And passengers don't all fly international out of JFK.

It's the death by a thousand cuts issue. Chip away at the network enough and soon it becomes unusable.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by whlinder
LGA and JFK aren't necessarily the same market.
They reside in the same county, and are only 13 miles apart. Other than an artificial restriction of perimeter, they serve exactly the same catchment area.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
This is the key point. It's a devaluation of the *A network.
Says who? If United was carrying significant traffic at interline prorate fare levels on that flight, the airline likely comes out ahead by ditching the service and instead flowing those passengers through its various JV-inspired options, capturing a far greater (and higher-yield) share of the ticket revenue.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:40 pm

WN has a ISP-BWI flight and US has a ISP-DCA flight. DCA is technically in VA.

Along with connections that are there, it probably has more O&D from the LI point of sale headed into the DC/NoVa region than the other way.

Anybody have an idea what these slot pairs will be used for? Maybe it'd shift the CLE-LGA slot pairs over to CLE-JFK and use the LGA slot pairs that were originally occupied for CLE, for more IAH, IAD or ORD.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:47 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rtalk25
Anybody have an idea what these slot pairs will be used for? Maybe it'd shift the CLE-LGA slot pairs over to CLE-JFK and use the LGA slot pairs that were originally occupied for CLE, for more IAH, IAD or ORD.
I'm curious if UA can sell them. If so, that's my bet on what they'll be used for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.