Search
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kmxu
Map of the current setup:

From the first post of the thread:

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

With a lot of activity around the corner at LAX, we’d like to provide you with an update on our long-term construction plans, and what that means for your travel experience in the interim.

Our goal is to offer a world-class experience at our LAX hub, and to that end we will be investing $450 million over the next several years to modernize our facilities and enhance the experience for our customers. Some changes have already occurred, including reconfiguration of multiple gates in Terminal 8 to handle additional narrow-body mainline aircraft. We will begin further improvements later this year, and by the end of 2017 we plan to open:
  • A brand-new check-in lobby and Premier check-in area
  • A dedicated Global Services Reception with direct security lane access
  • A reconfigured and expanded security checkpoint
  • A refurbished baggage claim area
  • Renovated gate-area hold rooms
  • A brand-new United Club with sweeping views and new amenities
To prepare for these changes, we will consolidate our operations into Terminals 7 and 8 over the next few weeks. Here’s what you need to know if you’re traveling to, from or through LAX:

Beginning September 24, 2014, the following changes will occur in the check-in lobby:
  • The Premier Lobby in Terminal 6 will close, and a temporary Premier lobby with Global Services check-in area will be available in Terminal 7
  • Global Services members will be invited to enter LAX curbside through Terminal 7
  • Dedicated Global Services security lanes will also remain available
Beginning October 27, 2014, the following changes will occur in our operations:
  • United will no longer use gates located in Terminal 6 (gates 60, 61, 62, and 63)
  • The United Club in Terminal 6 will close
  • The current United Club in Terminal 7 will continue to be available
  • The current United Global First Lounge in Terminal 7 will convert to a United Club
  • All departing flights and most arriving flights will be consolidated into Terminals 7 & 8
  • Please note: Some international arrivals may use the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). These include flights from Sydney and Melbourne, and some flights from Mexico on a seasonal basis.
Thanks for your patience during this transition, and we appreciate your “pardoning our dust” as we work to improve our facilities at LAX.

-UA Insider
Security Checkpoint Setup

During this early stage of the construction, there remain four entry points for United passengers to get through security:

T6 Checkpoint: Although UA will soon cease service out of T6, T6 is connected to T7/C8 by a secured hallway, and the T6 security checkpoint remains a quiet checkpoint with full PreCheck.

T7 West Checkpoint (a/k/a T6.5 West a/k/a T6.4): This is now for general economy passengers only. There is no PreCheck and no Premier lane here now.
The passageway to T7 remains open (guarded from the T7 side by very mean redcoats) and is now clogged with general economy passengers who check in in T7 and must schlep through the hallway to the West-facing checkpoint.
T7 East Checkpoint (a/k/a T6.5 East a/k/a T6.6): This is PreCheck only, with a single line feeding to two TSOs, two x-ray machines, and two WTMDs. This is a probable significant improvement over the prior T6.4 Checkpoint PreCheck setup.

C8 Lower Level Checkpoint: Premier security is now at C8. No real PreCheck at this checkpoint.

T7/T8 to TBIT via tunnel, about 40 min walk with average speed (copied mostly from a blog; http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...-security.html ):

If you are flying through Los Angeles and are connecting airlines, just follow the signs that are located near the far southern end of each terminal to connect via underground tunnel to the other terminals.

When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

In terminal 4, access the tunnel via the escalator that reads gate 44A-L
Continue to follow the signs to baggage claim, walk past the waiting room is for the bus to Terminal 6 or the American Eagle remote terminal.

to access the tunnels from Delta terminal in T5, the escalator leading to the tunnels is near the entrance to the Sky club near.

The access point from Terminal 6 is near Alaska Airlines' gates, across from the Alaska Airline Board Room and near the Ruby's diner. The tunnel ends at terminal 6, so you must exit the tunnel and access terminal 7 & 8 by above ground walkways which are near the terminal exit and security screening center.
Print Wikipost

PSA: Upcoming LAX Facility Changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:52 pm

I think the new elite lane offers pre check lite - has anyone tried that?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
I think the new elite lane offers pre check lite - has anyone tried that?
IME -- pre check lite can be annoying cause you have to take out your electronics and liquids. Depending on how much stuff I have, i'd rather walk to the precheck line.

Still better than nothing.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by edcho
IME -- pre check lite can be annoying cause you have to take out your electronics and liquids. Depending on how much stuff I have, i'd rather walk to the precheck line.

Still better than nothing.
Pre lite is computer only out
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
JFK made me take liquids out. Atleast they did the last time I was there...
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by edcho
JFK made me take liquids out. Atleast they did the last time I was there...
Not my experience at T7 JFK -- just large electronics needed to be separated.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not my experience at T7 JFK -- just large electronics needed to be separated.
Hmm, I'm confused how that makes sense. Isn't the point that they don't know whose bag is whose? Sure it's not just that the liquids rules are just ignored wholesale anyway?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
... Sure it's not just that the liquids rules are just ignored wholesale anyway?
Not from what I have seen --

BUT JFK and TSA policies are OT for this thread -- I'm sure there is a good thread in the Security forum to better have this decision.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
LAX UC a bit of a zoo today

FCL is still closed and not yet open as UC. Sign at elevator.

UC is as packed as I have seen it, with folks struggling to find a seat somewhere. At one point It looked like they were making people wait to get in for someone to leave (but I am not certain on that point). the Chicago weather, delays and cancelations probably are not helping, but still it seems clear that the UC will be more crowded until the second, temp UC club opens up in the former FCL.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
FCL is still closed and not yet open as UC. Sign at elevator.

UC is as packed as I have seen it, with folks struggling to find a seat somewhere. At one point It looked like they were making people wait to get in for someone to leave (but I am not certain on that point). the Chicago weather, delays and cancelations probably are not helping, but still it seems clear that the UC will be more crowded until the second, temp UC club opens up in the former FCL.
Lolz, one-in-one-out, like at da club.

Any word on opening schedule for the temp UC?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Lolz, one-in-one-out, like at da club.

Any word on opening schedule for the temp UC?
Things slowed down a little bit so went up and chit chatted with one of the entry way agents that I know (casually just from coming though and having conversations).
She said things look like November 11th for the UC club. She said they are stripping it and making it more of a UC then a GFL.

{some content moved to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1300545-consolidated-united-club-access-questions-thread-2012-14-a.html}

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 31, 2014 at 4:45 pm Reason: OT content moved
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:44 pm

Have moved an OT discussion to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...2-14-a-34.html

-- Let's stay focused in this thread on the LA facility changes.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Nov 1, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
UC is as packed as I have seen it, with folks struggling to find a seat somewhere.
I was there too, and I can confirm. A throng of people, and one dog.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:49 am

With the departure of UA from T6, there is no longer an evil UA redcoat with a sizer in T6. However, there is some generic security entrance person checking all boarding passes with a handheld scanner. I think this is a pilot of Canada-esque people tracking, and I am not happy about it.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 12:57 pm

..... I think this is a pilot of Canada-esque people tracking....
You lost me on that one.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 2, 2014 at 2:28 pm Reason: fixed BBcode
Old Nov 2, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The T8 screening area uses the whole-body scanner. I'm not sure if the traditional metal detector is kept on at all times for the occasional Pre√ pax that might come through. I'd rather fight through the crowds in the general area, even during the am hours prior to the two transpac flights, in order to use the actual Pre√ lanes where I can just plop down my computer bag and walk through the metal detector.

IMO, the current setup with the Premier Access area at the far end is a temporary measure. Heavy construction will begin in the heart of T7 sooner or later, because eventually the screening area will be moved upstairs, and that's not mentioning the new UC to be built above it. The inconvenience we experience now might be small potatoes in comparison to what's coming in the near future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.