Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kmxu
Map of the current setup:

From the first post of the thread:

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

With a lot of activity around the corner at LAX, we’d like to provide you with an update on our long-term construction plans, and what that means for your travel experience in the interim.

Our goal is to offer a world-class experience at our LAX hub, and to that end we will be investing $450 million over the next several years to modernize our facilities and enhance the experience for our customers. Some changes have already occurred, including reconfiguration of multiple gates in Terminal 8 to handle additional narrow-body mainline aircraft. We will begin further improvements later this year, and by the end of 2017 we plan to open:
  • A brand-new check-in lobby and Premier check-in area
  • A dedicated Global Services Reception with direct security lane access
  • A reconfigured and expanded security checkpoint
  • A refurbished baggage claim area
  • Renovated gate-area hold rooms
  • A brand-new United Club with sweeping views and new amenities
To prepare for these changes, we will consolidate our operations into Terminals 7 and 8 over the next few weeks. Here’s what you need to know if you’re traveling to, from or through LAX:

Beginning September 24, 2014, the following changes will occur in the check-in lobby:
  • The Premier Lobby in Terminal 6 will close, and a temporary Premier lobby with Global Services check-in area will be available in Terminal 7
  • Global Services members will be invited to enter LAX curbside through Terminal 7
  • Dedicated Global Services security lanes will also remain available
Beginning October 27, 2014, the following changes will occur in our operations:
  • United will no longer use gates located in Terminal 6 (gates 60, 61, 62, and 63)
  • The United Club in Terminal 6 will close
  • The current United Club in Terminal 7 will continue to be available
  • The current United Global First Lounge in Terminal 7 will convert to a United Club
  • All departing flights and most arriving flights will be consolidated into Terminals 7 & 8
  • Please note: Some international arrivals may use the Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT). These include flights from Sydney and Melbourne, and some flights from Mexico on a seasonal basis.
Thanks for your patience during this transition, and we appreciate your “pardoning our dust” as we work to improve our facilities at LAX.

-UA Insider
Security Checkpoint Setup

During this early stage of the construction, there remain four entry points for United passengers to get through security:

T6 Checkpoint: Although UA will soon cease service out of T6, T6 is connected to T7/C8 by a secured hallway, and the T6 security checkpoint remains a quiet checkpoint with full PreCheck.

T7 West Checkpoint (a/k/a T6.5 West a/k/a T6.4): This is now for general economy passengers only. There is no PreCheck and no Premier lane here now.
The passageway to T7 remains open (guarded from the T7 side by very mean redcoats) and is now clogged with general economy passengers who check in in T7 and must schlep through the hallway to the West-facing checkpoint.
T7 East Checkpoint (a/k/a T6.5 East a/k/a T6.6): This is PreCheck only, with a single line feeding to two TSOs, two x-ray machines, and two WTMDs. This is a probable significant improvement over the prior T6.4 Checkpoint PreCheck setup.

C8 Lower Level Checkpoint: Premier security is now at C8. No real PreCheck at this checkpoint.

T7/T8 to TBIT via tunnel, about 40 min walk with average speed (copied mostly from a blog; http://upgrd.com/blogs/doublewidesfl...-security.html ):

If you are flying through Los Angeles and are connecting airlines, just follow the signs that are located near the far southern end of each terminal to connect via underground tunnel to the other terminals.

When in TBIT, walk past the KE/one world lounge to the end of concourse - take a right handed u turn, up the escalator and the *A lounge is there.

In terminal 4, access the tunnel via the escalator that reads gate 44A-L
Continue to follow the signs to baggage claim, walk past the waiting room is for the bus to Terminal 6 or the American Eagle remote terminal.

to access the tunnels from Delta terminal in T5, the escalator leading to the tunnels is near the entrance to the Sky club near.

The access point from Terminal 6 is near Alaska Airlines' gates, across from the Alaska Airline Board Room and near the Ruby's diner. The tunnel ends at terminal 6, so you must exit the tunnel and access terminal 7 & 8 by above ground walkways which are near the terminal exit and security screening center.
Print Wikipost

PSA: Upcoming LAX Facility Changes

Old Dec 20, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
I agree that the wine options in T6-8 are very, very limited. The premium wines at the United Club are in fact the best available options.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 1:56 am

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
PSA: Upcoming LAX Facility Changes

They just opened up a new temporary GFL!
Just kidding, I went to Alaska lounge, then checked into former GFL right before boarding so I could feel some disdain before some nice time off.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
Originally Posted by mikelcf
I spoke with both a GS rep (at check-in) and GFL lady (at the GFL front desk) this morning and both told me there will be a temporary smaller GFL during construction, beginning Oct 1, in an area "above security at the Terminal 8 area", and when the new UC opens there will be a separate GFL (similar to the setups at Narita and JFK, I guess).
OK here is a bit more info per a very patient and helpful GFL rep at LAX. Whenever the existing GFL converts to a regular UC for the duration of construction, which will likely be in late October (not Oct 1 as I reported in my prior post), they will open a smaller GFL in the area that is currently an office space when you get off the escalator from the T7/8 security lines. She said it will be to the right, as get off the escalator. So will be beyond security. That will be in place until they complete construction of the new UC.
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Thank you for clarifying this. Good to get some facts.
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Nice to know, will keep an eye out when heading to Oz in a couple months! ^
Originally Posted by EWR764
Good intel. Perhaps this will be enough to stop the meltdown?
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Thanks for asking the questions and getting the answers for us. I am assuming that they will reopen the security screening area at the far end (toward T8) of T7, where the escalator goes up to some offices across the walkway that include a room used unaccompanied minors. My recollection is very rusty, since I haven't been in that part of T7 in ages.
Originally Posted by tuolumne
^^thanks for this
So, obviously - the information I was given about a temporary GFL during construction turned out to be wrong (or more likely, it was the tentative plan or under consideration in September, and the idea was later abandoned). The old unaccompanied minors room that was supposed to be the temp GFL is now apparently a back office room for GS staff.

I have also noticed that the new GS check-in desk lately is not staffed with GS agents as often as it used to be (now its often unstaffed, and a regular agent moves over from the other counters when they see someone waiting at the GS desk). When there is a question they cannot answer, they call from the counter and talk to someone in the GS office.

2 years from now is a long time, so who knows if we will actually see a GFL in the new UC. Its too bad, the discontinuation of the GFL feels like the end of an era.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
2 years from now is a long time, so who knows if we will actually see a GFL in the new UC. Its too bad, the discontinuation of the GFL feels like the end of an era.
COdbaUA is a two-class of service airline. They just happened to inherit some three-class of service aircraft in a merger.

International First Class on United is going the way of the Dodo bird. The lack of a GFL in EWR or IAH is telling to that fact.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The real question is, does this ultimately spur any LAX-area GS to head on over to AA?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The real question is, does this ultimately spur any LAX-area GS to head on over to AA?
I wouldn't think so.

GS gets treated pretty well on United so unlikely they would find AA better. In-flight is not all that dramatically different between them.

The lounge situation only affect PS and international flights and most airports don't have GFL lounges anyway.

Unless someone flies almost exclusively domestically, however, what I don't understand is why they would give UA the kind of revenue they have to in order to qualify for GS.

I may be putting my putting my miles into AA now, but my Asia flights are generally on CX. When I was flying UA, my miles went there, but my overseas flights were on LH and SQ/NH.

I sat next to a guy from Apple in C on UA from HKG to SFO a year or so ago. Saw from his boarding pass he was GS (it was not from spend, but from his affiliation with Apple). He told me he can fly UA or CX for the same price ($3,200), but he flies UA because, get this, he flies home to Rochester once a year and UA opens Y award seats on the regional jet from EWR to Rochester for him and his family. My mouth dropped.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I wouldn't think so.

GS gets treated pretty well on United so unlikely they would find AA better. In-flight is not all that dramatically different between them.

The lounge situation only affect PS and international flights and most airports don't have GFL lounges anyway.
I am a bit confused. Are GFL lounges open to all GS? I have used the GFL lounge in SFO when I am in Global First, but I am not a GS. I had thought the GFL lounges were solely for passengers booked in Global First.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JohnMacWW
I am a bit confused. Are GFL lounges open to all GS? I have used the GFL lounge in SFO when I am in Global First, but I am not a GS. I had thought the GFL lounges were solely for passengers booked in Global First.
GS also can access the GFL if flying BF (be it int'l or PS)
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:55 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I wouldn't think so.

I would imagine some of the PS crew has moved. True F plus FSCI at both ends.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
The LAX lounge isn't going to break the back and send a lot of GS running to AA. It was on the 2nd floor with no escalator and a further walk.

The flagship lounge at LAX has trounced the UA offering for about 10 years now. Would be nice to have a first lounge, but a proper one, not a half hearted attempt for years.

Asia network via SFO and out of LAX is probably why most LAX GS exist. AA has a long way to go before it offers that coverage.

The new lounge will make a big improvement, but can't open soon enough. LAX is a mess during this phase.

For PS heavy GS...

The transition from 3 to 2 class was the real change, and that action happened a year ago. Anyone mad about that left already.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Jan 3, 2015 at 7:50 pm Reason: sfo / lax transposed
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Just transited LAX last week and the club situation is an embarrassment. I entered the "big" club around 7:30 and was told they're closing at 8:00 pm because of the construction -- really?

Then on the return I skipped the "big" club since it was 9:00pm and went to the other club on the 2nd floor and it was packed, hardly a seat to be had. I'm glad I didn't take a coworker up there for the "club experience" - I would have been totally embarrassed.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
So the LAX UC is "temporarily not accepting one-time passes." Does that include the $50 daily pass, the CC one-time pass, or both?

Feel fortunate I got the life-time pass, seems as if it was ages ago.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Zip
So the LAX UC is "temporarily not accepting one-time passes." Does that include the $50 daily pass, the CC one-time pass, or both?

Feel fortunate I got the life-time pass, seems as if it was ages ago.
Really? I just gave a bunch of passes to my neighbor who is flying to Hawaii next weekend. Hope they'll be able to use them before their flight.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Chukiechz
Really? I just gave a bunch of passes to my neighbor who is flying to Hawaii next weekend. Hope they'll be able to use them before their flight.
How does one acquire "a bunch of passes"?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
How does one acquire "a bunch of passes"?
Had an explorer card and cancelled it. Had 2 sets of 2 passes were still good. One set expiring at the end of this month.

Wife has the card also for her business expenses, but we always travel together. So I gave them 6 for their upcoming trip. We're actually meeting them there at Aulani and hanging out for the week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.