Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA or EK from SIN to ORD (could also be phrased, what is UA thinking?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver

Comparing business seats from SIN to ORD in October, UA is pricing at a minimum of $6200 on a P fare (delusional in its own right), but Emirates is coming in at $4360, if you're willing to spend 20 hours (1:45PM to 9:45 AM, so a proper evening and night) in DXB, or about $5550 with a normal layover.

I've never been to DXB, so it seems like a great opportunity for the wife and I to explore.

Anyone well versed in both airlines? This seems like a no brainer to me, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me a good reason why I should fly UA on this one?!?
Old Sep 2, 2014, 3:06 am

EK 777 is angled in business (some of the SIN-DXB and every DXB-ORD in October). Other than that, EK should be a better experience.

So decide whether you prefer UA 777 8-across business with lie-flat, or angled-flat but with better service/food/etc.

Last edited by okrogius; Sep 2, 2014 at 3:13 am
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by okrogius
EK 777 is angled in business (some of the SIN-DXB and every DXB-ORD in October). Other than that, EK should be a better experience.

So decide whether you prefer UA 777 8-across business with lie-flat, or angled-flat but with better service/food/etc.
What's it matter if it's 8 across as long as the OP and his wife get two seats on the side? Emirates is 7 across so there are still middle seats in business class.

The question is what are the priorities of the OP? Cost, soft product, hard product, duration of trip?

If you don't mind the angled seats for 14 or so hours, Emirates will give you a better soft product experience at a much more reasonable price.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:51 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
+ $ hotel, food, transportation in Dubai
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
And this will come in at $1900 to cover the spread??

OP, in case you were unaware, EK business earns miles on Alaska at 125%
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil.../emirates.aspx
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
And this will come in at $1900 to cover the spread??

OP, in case you were unaware, EK business earns miles on Alaska at 125%
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil.../emirates.aspx
Did I imply that? Husband and wife one night in Dubai I think $500 will quickly disappear into the sand.

The OP was laying out prices and pro and cons and as others have stated you will your a more "premium" soft product on EK but better seats on UA.

And judging from their info it seems that it is *G programs so a J fare credited to UA is 14400 PQMs & 24,000 award miles each way.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by paulyras
Comparing business seats from SIN to ORD in October, UA is pricing at a minimum of $6200 on a P fare (delusional in its own right), but Emirates is coming in at $4360, if you're willing to spend 20 hours (1:45PM to 9:45 AM, so a proper evening and night) in DXB, or about $5550 with a normal layover.

I've never been to DXB, so it seems like a great opportunity for the wife and I to explore.

Anyone well versed in both airlines? This seems like a no brainer to me, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me a good reason why I should fly UA on this one?!?
If it was me, the extra $$ for UA is not worth it at all. I would go for EK, no question.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I faced a similar dilemma recently on DOH-JFK, with a comparable fare difference. On the other hand, I was able to take A380s both ways on EK.

The only consideration that made me even think for a second about UA was, of course, MileagePlus. It will be a struggle to re-qualify for 1K, and I am sitting at about 930K lifetime, so I have a strong incentive to obtain PQMs this year.

I ended up taking Emirates.

This is a good example of how, in the past, I would have paid a bit more to take an inferior product because I was loyal to UA. But that is becoming less and less the case all the time. . .
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:57 am

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by paulyras

I just flew this week DXB-ORD on EK, I have made several trips DXB-IAD-IND on UA. As others said the seat is lay flat but slightly inclined, I didn't mind it (actually prefer it) and slept well.

Plus side EK, dinner was good, down side breakfast was not good. Service was very good, no dragons that could possibly need CPR or heart paddles to remain on their feet during the flight. No one looking at me with disapproval because I drank too much champagne. I had the aisle seat in the first row behind the toilets and galley (8B) and the window seat had easy access to the aisle, on UA you need to climb over. Same entertainment really. Upside if ORD is your final destination there is no layover in IAD, I have a home halfway between ORD and IND so a good option for me.

I'm glad I went EK, it was about $2000 cheaper than UA at the time but what it meant was me not making 1K this year and remaining Gold. With flying paid business anyway most of the time I just didn't see it being worth the extra money it would take.

DXB is a great stopover, lots to do and see, October the weather should be reasonable.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Not if passenger is connecting to first EK flight to ORD - EK picks up the tab for hotel, food and transportation
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Not if passenger is connecting to first EK flight to ORD - EK picks up the tab for hotel, food and transportation
Interesting. I'll look into that, but not sure it applies. Any link with more info?

As for the trip, booked the 20hour layover. The chance to see DXB makes it more than worth the costs associated with the long layover (plus is still less expensive overall).

I'll be sure to write up a pros and cons follow up after the trip.

Thanks for the insights!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:52 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Singapore_Schwing
Interesting. I'll look into that, but not sure it applies. Any link with more info?

As for the trip, booked the 20hour layover. The chance to see DXB makes it more than worth the costs associated with the long layover (plus is still less expensive overall).

I'll be sure to write up a pros and cons follow up after the trip.

Thanks for the insights!
If you book direct with EK.COM you will see a pop up button asking if you want the "Dubai stopover" comp hotel, meals, etc. if you book elsewhere just give EK a call. This is SOP for EK and they have been doing it unite successfully for years. The only caveat (which is new) is you must be taking the "first avail" non stop to your destination. As ORD is your final stop chances are good this will be offered to you as there is only 1 non stop a day

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.