FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA or EK from SIN to ORD (could also be phrased, what is UA thinking?)
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:57 am
JTPictureman

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by paulyras
Comparing business seats from SIN to ORD in October, UA is pricing at a minimum of $6200 on a P fare (delusional in its own right), but Emirates is coming in at $4360, if you're willing to spend 20 hours (1:45PM to 9:45 AM, so a proper evening and night) in DXB, or about $5550 with a normal layover.

I've never been to DXB, so it seems like a great opportunity for the wife and I to explore.

Anyone well versed in both airlines? This seems like a no brainer to me, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me a good reason why I should fly UA on this one?!?
I just flew this week DXB-ORD on EK, I have made several trips DXB-IAD-IND on UA. As others said the seat is lay flat but slightly inclined, I didn't mind it (actually prefer it) and slept well.

Plus side EK, dinner was good, down side breakfast was not good. Service was very good, no dragons that could possibly need CPR or heart paddles to remain on their feet during the flight. No one looking at me with disapproval because I drank too much champagne. I had the aisle seat in the first row behind the toilets and galley (8B) and the window seat had easy access to the aisle, on UA you need to climb over. Same entertainment really. Upside if ORD is your final destination there is no layover in IAD, I have a home halfway between ORD and IND so a good option for me.

I'm glad I went EK, it was about $2000 cheaper than UA at the time but what it meant was me not making 1K this year and remaining Gold. With flying paid business anyway most of the time I just didn't see it being worth the extra money it would take.

DXB is a great stopover, lots to do and see, October the weather should be reasonable.