Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what's the point in signing to the explorer card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
You need to spend $25K in a year to get the PQD waiver (up until plat only). Spending $10K will get you the earned reward miles for using the card, but no waiver of anything.
Correct, $25K. My mistake.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:49 am

Explorer is a decent card, and it's one of the main reasons why I'm sticking w/ Star Alliance even though I'm in SEA where UA has scaled back. Explorer gives you no foreign transaction fees, free checked bags, priority boarding (you get none of those with AS card). With my UA status, the last two benefits are moot, but the waived foreign transaction fees is a huge necessity for me.

Originally Posted by rusty813
I was a member of continental airlines, and it said to see what united has done to such a great airline with great customer service. United destory continental reputation.
Smisek came from CO, and UA was a better airline too before the merger. But that's another topic.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
For us, it's all about upgrading award tickets.
I'm still learning all the ins-n-outs of UA. Do you mean booking a coach award and using miles to upgrade to business? I guess I could try searching for info, but where is the fun in that?

I come from DL so the "miles to upgrade" thing is foreign to me.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jacobac00
I'm still learning all the ins-n-outs of UA. Do you mean booking a coach award and using miles to upgrade to business? I guess I could try searching for info, but where is the fun in that?
No. Getting the card makes you eligible for upgrades (CPUs where applicable) even on award tickets. You can search more for that topic - as it has its own thread.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Well I have had a good year with the Explorer Card. 50K UA Sign Up Bonus Miles $50 Credit for my first charge. Charged over 25K in 2014 and just had 10K additional miles hit my UA account. Due to 25K Spend, PQD waiver up to Platinum (which I will hit with miles but not PQD ) so not a bad card after all. Like the Primary Auto Insurance Coverage, Baggage and Flight Delay Coverages as well. Safe Travels
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Well I have had a good year with the Explorer Card. 50K UA Sign Up Bonus Miles $50 Credit for my first charge. Charged over 25K in 2014 and just had 10K additional miles hit my UA account. Due to 25K Spend, PQD waiver up to Platinum (which I will hit with miles but not PQD ) so not a bad card after all. Like the Primary Auto Insurance Coverage, Baggage and Flight Delay Coverages as well. Safe Travels
I'm still torn between Sapphire Preferred and Explorer. Most of my spend is on food and hotels, so the 2x is useful. CPU on award flights is nice, though...

I may just suck it up and forego the CPU's after the first year to avoid the fees. I agree, it's a great card tho
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:19 am
Suspended

Rusty,

You wanted the Presidential Plus card (which as stated doesn't exist any more), but that card was approximately $375 a year. So you were willing to pay the annual fee on that, but not the United Club card that is $395/year?

You get 2 free bags for 2 people in your reservation, plus lounge access with free drinks -- that alone usually makes the annual fee more than worth it. I won't even get into the rest of the benefits.

I don't understand why you only want elite miles and why you are so adament about not collecting redeemable miles.

In addition, as others have stated, if you are paying interest, you are better off sticking to a debit card and not getting any credit card as the EQM/PQD, Redeemable Miles, etc are not meant for you in that scenario.

Not trying to be mean here, but being honest. Advice: Stick to flying Hawaiian and pay with a debit card.

Sincerely,

Last edited by goalie; Aug 26, 2014 at 11:03 am Reason: ToS
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rusty813
well i dont travel offer, but when i do go the mainland is useful to have. Your paying 500 dollars a year to use the lounge twice, thats a waste of money. I was a member of continental airlines, and it said to see what united has done to such a great airline with great customer service. United destory continental reputation.
...and then there are those of us who would say it's the other way around.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 12:17 pm
Suspended

I have the Club Card... I love the benefits. I'm just waiting for the day UA brings back the free Premium booze at the Clubs.... Which I'm sure will never happen.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Continental took over UA. Not a merger. All of your "ruined United" falls on CO who made so many miscalculations it's pathetic. Just remember 3/3. Shares versus Apollo was a big mistake by CO. Then there's MM program devaluation. Oh almost forgot selling upgrades for TOD instead of taking care of elites. Oh forgot about new airplanes with zero AVOD. Then there was that huge devaluation on International Star F. Oh forgot the effect of the new Platinum level. Oops almost forgot blocking of Expertflyer and lack of R/N release on international flights. These things are all CO.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:41 am
Suspended

So Rusty,

Did you end up applying for the United Explorer card? If not, what direction are you headed?

How many miles do you fly a year?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
Explorer is a decent card, and it's one of the main reasons why I'm sticking w/ Star Alliance even though I'm in SEA where UA has scaled back. Explorer gives you no foreign transaction fees, free checked bags, priority boarding (you get none of those with AS card). With my UA status, the last two benefits are moot, but the waived foreign transaction fees is a huge necessity for me.
Those are the obvious benefits to the Explorer card.

The primary (not secondary) CDW coverage is one of the non-obvious benefits. Most credit cards offer secondary coverage, which means claims go to your insurer first (and you will get surcharged on your policy renewal).

There's also roadside assistance, trip cancellation, trip delay or interruption, bag delay, bag loss, purchase protection, price protection, return protection, extended warranty, and all sorts of other benefits.

And, depending on your elite status, holding the card entitles you to complimentary upgrade eligibility on award tickets. And, yes, I have been upgraded on several saver economy award tickets this year alone.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vandrei
Those are the obvious benefits to the Explorer card.

The primary (not secondary) CDW coverage is one of the non-obvious benefits. Most credit cards offer secondary coverage, which means claims go to your insurer first (and you will get surcharged on your policy renewal).

There's also roadside assistance, trip cancellation, trip delay or interruption, bag delay, bag loss, purchase protection, price protection, return protection, extended warranty, and all sorts of other benefits.

And, depending on your elite status, holding the card entitles you to complimentary upgrade eligibility on award tickets. And, yes, I have been upgraded on several saver economy award tickets this year alone.
Must be nice. I can't even get upgraded on a revenue ticket.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cslovacek
Rusty,

You wanted the Presidential Plus card (which as stated doesn't exist any more), but that card was approximately $375 a year. So you were willing to pay the annual fee on that, but not the United Club card that is $395/year?

You get 2 free bags for 2 people in your reservation, plus lounge access with free drinks -- that alone usually makes the annual fee more than worth it. I won't even get into the rest of the benefits.

I don't understand why you only want elite miles and why you are so adament about not collecting redeemable miles.

In addition, as others have stated, if you are paying interest, you are better off sticking to a debit card and not getting any credit card as the EQM/PQD, Redeemable Miles, etc are not meant for you in that scenario.

Not trying to be mean here, but being honest. Advice: Stick to flying Hawaiian and pay with a debit card.

Sincerely,
Yes I would be welling to pay the benefits on the presidential card, because you were getting a much better benefit, such as free check in bags and unlimited lounge access.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cslovacek
So Rusty,

Did you end up applying for the United Explorer card? If not, what direction are you headed?

How many miles do you fly a year?
I don't think so, to be honest. I mean the card is great, and all but lacking some benefits that arent there at all. I would like to see earning pqd on any purchase, not just united. Earn pqd when you got grocery shopping for example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.