FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - what's the point in signing to the explorer card?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:57 am
vandrei

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
Explorer is a decent card, and it's one of the main reasons why I'm sticking w/ Star Alliance even though I'm in SEA where UA has scaled back. Explorer gives you no foreign transaction fees, free checked bags, priority boarding (you get none of those with AS card). With my UA status, the last two benefits are moot, but the waived foreign transaction fees is a huge necessity for me.
Those are the obvious benefits to the Explorer card.

The primary (not secondary) CDW coverage is one of the non-obvious benefits. Most credit cards offer secondary coverage, which means claims go to your insurer first (and you will get surcharged on your policy renewal).

There's also roadside assistance, trip cancellation, trip delay or interruption, bag delay, bag loss, purchase protection, price protection, return protection, extended warranty, and all sorts of other benefits.

And, depending on your elite status, holding the card entitles you to complimentary upgrade eligibility on award tickets. And, yes, I have been upgraded on several saver economy award tickets this year alone.