Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Will there be Global First (3 class) on 787/A350?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Hello! I seem to recall a thread not too long ago that discussed whether or not United would take delivery of 3 cabin 787s. After an exhaustive search, I failed to find it. What's the verdict on this? Has UA made any statements about the future of Global First and the 787? How about on the A350s? Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
No on the 787s (not sure if any airline is putting F in it?)

No word yet on the A350s...I'd be shocked if UA does though. This is a 2 cabin airline in the future.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No on the 787s (not sure if any airline is putting F in it?)
Etihad is placing their new first suites into the 787.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Etihad is placing their new first suites into the 787.

I read that British Airways is adding first class, so I'd imagine quite a few airlines are going to do that. Even though United isn't doing that with the 787-9, I wouldn't be surprised if they would add GF to the 787-10.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:46 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by sm71
I read that British Airways is adding first class, so I'd imagine quite a few airlines are going to do that. Even though United isn't doing that with the 787-9, I wouldn't be surprised if they would add GF to the 787-10.
United has already indicated that GlobalFirst will not be added to any longhaul aircraft where it does not currently exist. It's a product that will progressively disappear over time, starting with the 3-cabin 767s begin retirement from the fleet next year.

The current GF is not very competitive, and the gap only grows as rivals invest millions into high-end suites and airport lounges to cater to the shrinking F demand.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:49 am

Any new info on the pmUA 787 orders? I think the last I read it was 2016 but I don't know how recent that estimate was made. I'm guessing no info yet on seat maps and the like? Curious to know which BF seat will be installed.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jacobac00
Any new info on the pmUA 787 orders? I think the last I read it was 2016 but I don't know how recent that estimate was made. I'm guessing no info yet on seat maps and the like? Curious to know which BF seat will be installed.
Anything other than the PMCO BF seat would be surprising IMO. Unfortunately.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
United has already indicated that GlobalFirst will not be added to any longhaul aircraft where it does not currently exist. It's a product that will progressively disappear over time, starting with the 3-cabin 767s begin retirement from the fleet next year.
UA hasn't indicated anything about 787-10 or A350-1000 plans. Do you have a link to show UA execs explicitly stating no F on all future planes on order ?

Just for the record, UA just went through the hassle to add in GS/GF check-in at EWR, and is planning GFL at EWR. That sounds like a commitment to maintaining F for the forseeable future.

As a point of comparison, DL has zero F while AA is planning to shrink F down to just 77W (like 20 birds?). The fleet plans speak for themselves regarding the "competitiveness" of the products.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 787fan
Just for the record, UA just went through the hassle to add in GS/GF check-in at EWR, and is planning GFL at EWR. That sounds like a commitment to maintaining F for the forseeable future.
That speaks more to having to appease GS going to/from NYC than it does 3 cabin F.

Lots of hearsay as well around this supposed GS/GFL as well.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Do you have a source for this statement?

While I agree that going forward UA will drop the Int'l F product, I do recall hearing some discussion that the perceived value (to UA, anyway) of the product was that it drove higher fare business class tickets. Without it, there would be absolutely no reason to pay even $1 more than necessary for UA's biz product.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
United is not the premium 3 class airline it was just a few years ago before it merged with CO. With united resembling co it has become a generic airline with limited premium services. I do not see 3 class fitting into the CO way of doing things. It is too bad because the BF on the 787 is not impressive and feels dated already. United made GF work on 767s for years, but now the new United is satisfied with a generic business class as the top product. Hopefully they offer 3 class on some 787s and a350s in the future as the business class on 2 class planes does not feel premium enough to pass as the top product offering to passengers for long hauls.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM

The current GF is not very competitive, and the gap only grows as rivals invest millions into high-end suites and airport lounges to cater to the shrinking F demand.
This simply isn't true. GF is still a possibility on the A350 and it seems that at least some at UA see the value on keeping GF on high yield routes to 1) capture the few GF fares sold and 2) maintain those that pay for J/C/D in order to upgrade to GF.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
This simply isn't true. GF is still a possibility on the A350 and it seems that at least some at UA see the value on keeping GF on high yield routes to 1) capture the few GF fares sold and 2) maintain those that pay for J/C/D in order to upgrade to GF.
UA did just make a significant investment in the new GFL at LHR.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA did just make a significant investment in the new GFL at LHR.
UA and BA are the only two running 3 cabin A/C to N. America-LHR. Also LHR has a lot of *A F PAX (SQ, TG, CA) connecting the the N. America on UA.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 11:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Madone59
UA and BA are the only two running 3 cabin A/C to N. America-LHR. Also LHR has a lot of *A F PAX (SQ, TG, CA) connecting the the N. America on UA.
Plus AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.