Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Don't let Elite Line help you with hotel room if flight canceled - 50% markup!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum

My flight out of IAH was canceled because of weather. I called elite line to rebook. After the flight was take care of, they asked if I needed help with a hotel. I said yes. He transferred me to someone else. (I thought United - but I was wrong). This person started listing hotels near the airport, with shuttles. I got to the price range I liked and said I would take that one. He wanted my CC information. I thought that was strange, because in the past, when I used the service center, they would set me up with a hotel, give me phone number, and that was it. This time I had to give the CC info. When I got to the hotel I asked about the CC and they told me it was already charged to the CC, and NO refund. (So if the hotel ended up being a dive, I would have to dispute it through my CC.). The hotel was OK, (not great) but I was only going to be there overnight. The part I have the most problem with is when I got my CC bill. The hotel room that was quoted $60 turned out to be $80. It was booked through a third party (Travres*Hotels.com). The third party marked it up about 50% - before taxes. I was never told about this, I assumed (stupid me) it was United, because United didn't say they were transferring me out of the United system. A lesson learned, so beware.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Gold
Good info! Thanks for posting. I've been lucky enough not to be trapped overnight in recent memory, so I think I would have done the same as you, and accept the help finding a hotel.

So, if there was a next time, what would you do? hang up once they find the hotel and then call the hotel directly?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 10:46 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
As a 1K UA's policy is to provide a hotel in the event of an overnight travel disruption, even if due to weather or ATC delays. @:-)
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not quite a 50% markup, that would have made it $90, only a 33.3% markup . But still, that sucks that it was not all disclosed during the phone call. You could try to apply for a refund based on your 1K but it is not likely as it was weather related. But yes, in the past (I was a 1K for many years) 1K's got free accomodations even for weather.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:05 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Baze
You could try to apply for a refund based on your 1K but it is not likely as it was weather related. But yes, in the past (I was a 1K for many years) 1K's got free accomodations even for weather.
it is UAs policy that 1Ks and GSs receive a hotel room (and meal vouchers) in the event if a IROP that results in an overnight. Period.

Some agents might not be aware of this, but this is the policy.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by J.Edward
Just a data point, I was overnighted twice last winter because of weather and ATC, and both times CS had to call to confirm that 1K gets hotel and meal vouchers.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
it is UAs policy that 1Ks and GSs receive a hotel room (and meal vouchers) in the event if a IROP that results in an overnight. Period.

Is that still the policy under the new regime? I thought it went away after the merger. Probably need a GG reference.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by Outlawbrew
It was booked through a third party (Travres*Hotels.com).
If you book a hotel through united.com (as I did only once), it will show up on your credit card as follows:

TRAVRES* HOTELS.UNITED 800-219-4606 NV
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: Star, Oneworld, Skymiles, SPG
Originally Posted by FTstudent
So, if there was a next time, what would you do? hang up once they find the hotel and then call the hotel directly?
Usually if you go down into baggage claim, there is an advertising board listing all the hotels near the airport with shuttles. Or if you know which hotel you want, you can just go out into the shuttle bus area and look for the shuttle bus to the hotel you want. The buses circle endlessly, especially at night, trolling for customers for the hotel.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Is that still the policy under the new regime? I thought it went away after the merger. Probably need a GG reference.
I was on a domestic roundtrip through ORD this June and got stuck there overnight in both directions due to weather. Was given hotel and meal vouchers without asking.

Policy is still around...consistency of application might be lacking, but inconsistency is the standard with UA these days, so nothing newsworthy there.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
If price is important, put the Hotwire, Priceline, and Kayak apps on your phone.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental OnePass Platinum
I was wondering why so many post said 1K was given a room. I just realized I forgot to change my information. I WAS a 1K, went back to Platinum this year. I am not here that much anymore, and forgot to make the change. My bad! But still not happy about the mark up without being informed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.