Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Eligibility for Seat assignments are based on booking class and route length. In general, if you book a Y B M U H X Q V fare (or business or first class), you can get a free seat assignment on any ticket stock. If you book lower economy fares, you have to pay for seat assignment. In either case, you need to pay for a seat with extra leg room. See Lufthansa Seat reservations for Economy Class travelers for more specific conditions.

LH can't process payments if your ticket is not booked with LH stock, so if your seat assignment would require a payment, you simply can not get an advance seat assignment if you book through United (or any airline other than LH). Tickets booked on 016 stock appear to be able to get a seat assignment with payment, if the flight is booked on the LH flight number (but not if booked as a UA codeshare), but it may require calling to get this.

Even when eligible, seat assignments are not usually available on the LH website due to perpetual "technical difficulties" however they can be reserved by calling LH at either 800-645-3880 or 866-846-4283.

There have been reports that any change in the ticket may cause the seat assignment to be cleared. Therefore, it is recommended to check seat assignments if something is done to the reservation.

In LH forum -- Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
Print Wikipost

No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Christefan
First you need to lookup your LH record locator on UAs website (Right below the UA record locator). Then you can go to the LH website and select your seat under "my bookings" (if you have a fare that is eligible).
Or, you can just call Lufthansa with your flight information.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Booked Lufthansa flight on United, how to change seat assignments?

Believe if you are in a fare class that requires a payment for a seat (<V, IIRC) and you have a ticket on 016 stock, you won't be able to select a seat until check in. Don't believe LH can accept a payment for a seat on an OAL ticket. I don't have personal experience with this though.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:37 pm

There is a thread discussing seat selection on LH on 016 tickets. IIRC some people reported success pre-selecting seats even on fares that required payment (by going to LH and paying).

In my most recent experience (flight late last year), the LH agent wasn't even able to pick a seat for me (let alone charge me for it) when I called in with LH record locator. So YMMV.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ket-stock.html
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:41 pm

Interesting! Thank you guys. So I assumed the change seat assignment policies would be different for each different airline (e.g. ANA, China Air or any other reward flights booked on United.com)?
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pek2016
Interesting! Thank you guys. So I assumed the change seat assignment policies would be different for each different airline (e.g. ANA, China Air or any other reward flights booked on United.com)?
Yes, each airline sets their own seat assignment policies and charges. It's their seating, after all.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I am facing the same situation. So frustrated I ticketed the LH flight with a UA flight number.

Flying FCO FRA EWR, all on LH, but with a UA flight # on the FRA EWR segment to ride the 747-8. I was able to purchase a seat assignment FCO FRA for $11, but can't do anything with FRA EWR. Very Frustrated. I wish I had used LH flight numbers for both. Lesson learned.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Another datapoint: Unable to select seats on LH website for UA codeshare, LH operated flight. H fare. 016 ticket. Phone agent also not able to assign seat.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 12:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by econ
Another datapoint: Unable to select seats on LH website for UA codeshare, LH operated flight. H fare. 016 ticket. Phone agent also not able to assign seat.
It's not a data point without data

Long-haul or intra-Europe flight? That matters.

UA or LH phone agent? UA's not going to be able to assign you a seat on an LH flight.

If it's a long-haul flight, an LH agent should be able to assign you a seat on an H fare.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
I have been able to select my seat on a BOM-MUC flight (V fare) on a 016 ticket with a UA flight number. There have been no issues in choosing the seats via LH.com
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not a data point without data

Long-haul or intra-Europe flight? That matters.

UA or LH phone agent? UA's not going to be able to assign you a seat on an LH flight.

If it's a long-haul flight, an LH agent should be able to assign you a seat on an H fare.
Intra-Europe; LH agent.

I've had no trouble selecting seats on 016 ticket/LH code/LH operated/intra-Europe flights before but this was my first experience with a UA code/LH operated flight. Seat map greyed out on LH website. Agent agreed that I should in theory be able to select seats, but mentioned something about a system limitation that prevented him from assigning seats due to codeshare.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by econ
Intra-Europe; LH agent.

I've had no trouble selecting seats on 016 ticket/LH code/LH operated/intra-Europe flights before but this was my first experience with a UA code/LH operated flight. Seat map greyed out on LH website. Agent agreed that I should in theory be able to select seats, but mentioned something about a system limitation that prevented him from assigning seats due to codeshare.
According to LH website, as of 9/1/2015, intra-Europe economy seat assignments are only available within 48 hours of departure. HON/SEN are exempted from this restriction.

Seat Assignment.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: LH SEN, QR Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5-star
Can I select an emergecy exit seat free of charge when check in opens when flying economy light?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: DL*DM/AA*G
Think so. I've done that numerous times. Got UA*G in there though, but technically I think yes. (recently only on domestic LH routes)

Another point from me. I got a ticket on UA stock with flights as follows (coded/metal): OS/OS, UA/OS ... UA/LH. Besides the fact that the Austrian call center was useless beyond all diplomacy I had a LH agent work on it and I got a request in for an exit-aisle on the OS/OS leg. And allegedly a request for the UA/LH one, though I don't see the quoted seat occupied on EF, nor in my booking. Well...

I just don't get how bad one's IT system has to be that you cannot assign/sell/request seats on your OWN darn flight.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 8:14 pm

So I've read through this whole thread, and I haven't seen a definite answer. I have a flight booked for Sept 2016 on UA.com with 016 ticket number, fare class S. I can pull up the booking on the LH website but can't assign seats. Flight is home-ORD-FRA-TLS, operated by Skywest-LH-LH.

I can try calling LH, but assuming I won't be able to pay for seat assignments in advance.

Should I check in at 24h before the first flight on UA.com or wait until 23h before the first LH flight? I only really care about the TATL leg, would like a window for sleeping purposes.

Is there a way to pay for extra legroom seats on LH at check in with a UA codeshare?
Old May 5, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I'm flying FRA-SFO tomorrow on the LH A380, booked in U class as a UA codeshare.

I was able to select seat at no charge on the website when I first tried at 20 hours. But there is no ability to upgrade to premium economy. I spoke to an LH agent who said no upgrade was possible on the codeshare ticket, but they might be able to help me at the check in counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.