Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Seat Reservations on Lufthansa operated flights when booked through United [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Reservations on Lufthansa operated flights when booked through United [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
UA Codeshare on LH booked in P

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 10:54 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Okay so I think I have this figured out now. I have a booking on 016 stock TXL-MUC-BOS. Both legs are operated by LH. On UA.com, TXL-MUC has a LH flight number. MUC-BOS has a UA flight number. I'm flying on a Q fare.

I can log into the reservation on LH.com, but I can only select a seat for the first segment, which has an LH flight number. The second segment simply reads "seat reservation is not allowed for this flight".

So the issue here is presumably the UA flight number. I tried calling the 1k line to have the ticket re-issued with an LH flight number, and was quoted a $300 change fee, at which point I gave up.

Turns out calling LH allows ASR under these circumstances, but that's obviously a bit of a pain...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by itsMoe
Okay so I think I have this figured out now. I have a booking on 016 stock TXL-MUC-BOS. Both legs are operated by LH. On UA.com, TXL-MUC has a LH flight number. MUC-BOS has a UA flight number. I'm flying on a Q fare.

I can log into the reservation on LH.com, but I can only select a seat for the first segment, which has an LH flight number. The second segment simply reads "seat reservation is not allowed for this flight".

So the issue here is presumably the UA flight number. I tried calling the 1k line to have the ticket re-issued with an LH flight number, and was quoted a $300 change fee, at which point I gave up.

Turns out calling LH allows ASR under these circumstances, but that's obviously a bit of a pain...
There should be somewhere, on your reservation, both your LH AND you UA confirmation numbers. If you can get your UA number, you should be able to choose a seat on the UA leg.

Try going to the UA site and punching in the LH number. I did this in reverse recently. Booked IAH/ORD/VIE through UA. The ORD to VIE is on OS metal. OS is part of LH. I went to the LH site and entered my UA confirmation number. It gave me the LH number, which is the same as the OS number. I went to the OS site and... bingo... booked our J seats.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kensterfly

Try going to the UA site and punching in the LH number. I did this in reverse recently. Booked IAH/ORD/VIE through UA. The ORD to VIE is on OS metal. OS is part of LH. I went to the LH site and entered my UA confirmation number. It gave me the LH number, which is the same as the OS number. I went to the OS site and... bingo... booked our J seats.
No joy I'm afraid. Regardless of which confirmation number I use on either site, I can't get the segment that is LH metal with a UA number. I can log into the site and view my booking, but I can't change the seat on that segment.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:20 pm

Unable to select seats for a business class ticket (Z, if it matters) on lh.com for SFO-FRA on UA 8828 aka LH455. The ticket was issued by United.

We are sorry.
Unfortunately, seat reservations are not possible. Exemptions may apply to travelling HON Circle Members and Senators.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Another data point

One paid, one award ticket, booked on UA, with FRA-JNB and JNB-MUC segments on LH. Award ticket, no problem choosing seat. No way to do so on the paid ticket, since booked in S. And by the way, it's not as easy figuring out how to change the seat as it could be, so you're never quite sure you're doing it the right way.

Had to pay UA $201 to upgrade from S to V (UA nicely waived the $300 change fee as my "one time exception"). Still couldn't change the seat on my paid ticket on the website, but called LH and it was easily taken care of.

Weird that award seats fit into a fare class that allows you to select and change seats, but not S. I could understand a lowball K fare, but S?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cyborg
I just experienced a successful online ASR selection on LH metal ticketed as UA codeshare with a P fare. The LH site would not work for this, but the Miles and More site did. The LH site would allow selection of seats, but would not save them. The M&M site displayed them correctly after saving and they were verified on LH, UA and checkmytrip. I noticed the M&M site uses the older style interface for bookings (the one LH had a few years ago). I'm remember doing this for an OS ticket also ticketed in P on the UA website.

-Cyborg
+1 for this. Paid P class ticket on LH metal, booked on UA dot com with UA 016 eticket number. Was unable to successfully select a seat on the LH site using the LH record locator (could select but would not stick). After seeing this note from Cyborg, set up a M&M account, then was able to find my reservation and easily book a seat, which shows both on LH and UA websites.

This site is great for the hive learning - thanks Cyborg! ^
Old Dec 25, 2015, 5:28 am
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Seat Reservation after Re-issuance

Hi Guys,

I have a award ticket booked from United and have it re-issued, and on my Lufthansa system the option to view seat map and reserve seat is gone.

I called customer service and they were nice, efficient and professional, but I still prefer to see the map and change it myself (in case I ever need to). Just wonder if there is any way I can do it?

Thanks!
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by tya
..and on my Lufthansa system the option to view seat map and reserve seat is gone..
I wonder what "your Lufthansa system" is? If you mean LH's website .... were you able to assign seats for the UA award itinerary before?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 1:03 am
tya

Originally Posted by weero
I wonder what "your Lufthansa system" is? If you mean LH's website .... were you able to assign seats for the UA award itinerary before?
Sorry I didn't clarify. Yes I mean normal Lufthansa website.
I was able to pick a seat on Lufthansa.com before, but after I changed my flight on United.com and have the ticket re-issued, I change my seat online anymore.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by tya
Sorry I didn't clarify. Yes I mean normal Lufthansa website.
I was able to pick a seat on Lufthansa.com before, but after I changed my flight on United.com and have the ticket re-issued, I change my seat online anymore.
I believe you were unusually lucky the first time. Not working is the normal state.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:37 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Amtrak Select
So I booked an award ticket on UA for LH Business, and made our seat selections. It appears that once selections are made, they are not able to be changed (or I can't figure out what I'd do to change them). Just curious, because while we have good seats, possibility that better seats will open up.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:15 am
tya

Originally Posted by joecool1885
So I booked an award ticket on UA for LH Business, and made our seat selections. It appears that once selections are made, they are not able to be changed (or I can't figure out what I'd do to change them). Just curious, because while we have good seats, possibility that better seats will open up.
I remember being able to do so when I flew LH on a UA award ticket back in April. I used my UA miles and flew LH Biz, was able to view and change my seat even after first selection. So when this option disappeared this time I am really surprised. Is it a new policy since this past summer?
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by tya
..Is it a new policy since this past summer?
I encountered it years ago .... maybe it went away and came back?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy Titanium
Another data point - I have two UA award reservations on LH for 4 of us in total. All in J, all on LH metal. Made the reservations back in January and was able to select seats. I was able to even change them a month or so after.

Go to verify this morning (printing Itins for daughters scrapbook) and her seat assignment is blank on the TATL leg. Can't select a seat online, and not in the online checkin window. The other 3 seats remain intact, as does hers on the intra-EU leg.

Called LH and agent could see that her seat was (her words) 'strangely gone' but couldn't understand why or change it back. Her only advice was to select again @ online checkin (opens in 7 hours).

I suppose it could have been an equipment swap to a different version of an A330 (however, the same seat numbers all exist in J on the different versions) but still frustrating. Daughter is 21, so it's certainly not the end of the world if she ends up by her lonesome (maybe a bonus, really), but this is not the first time I've had LH seat assignments mysteriously change/disappear. I'd put the odds at 50/50 over 15 or so LH flights the last few years. Also slightly surprising (frustrating) that they don't have access to the seat map from T-48.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.