Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Watch inflight movies/TV on your personal device (PDE) - Experiences, discussion,...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
All mainline UA aircfraft should have PDE available (April 2018)
Supported devices

Courtesy of JOSECONLSCREW28

If anybody can update this wiki with roll out dates, that will be helpful!

Entertainment options in the future:

Continental Airlines aircraft:
B777-200ER AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B767-400ER AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B787-8 AVOD/Satellite WiFi/Streaming Content
B787-9 AVOD/Satellite WiFi/Streaming Content
B757-300 851 - 859 DirecTV/SatelliteWiFi
B757-300 860 - 871 Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B757-200 AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B737-900/900ER 401 - 464 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-900ER 465 - 478 Streaming Content/Satellite Wifi
B737-800 202 - 226, 228 - 231, 233 - 234, 237 - 239, 241 - 245, 247 - 248, 250 - 299, 501 - 531 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-800 201, 227, 232, 235 - 236, 240, 246, 249 Overhead IFE/Satellite WiFi
B737-700 701 - 719, 721 - 724, 726 - 733, 750 DirecTV/Satellite WiFi
B737-700 720, 734, 735, 736 Overhead IFE/Satellite WiFi

United Airlines aircraft:
B747-400 AVOD + Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B777-200 International AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B777-200 Hawaiian Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B767-300 2-cabin AVOD/Satellite WiFi
B767-300 3-cabin AVOD/Looping IFE/Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
B757-200 PS AVOD/Streaming Content/GoGo WiFi
B737-900ER Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi
A319/A320 Streaming Content/Satellite WiFi

This other thread is also invaluable for general fleet updates:

United Airlines Fleet Updates [2014 Thread]
Print Wikipost

Watch inflight movies/TV on your personal device (PDE) - Experiences, discussion,...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I had this on a flight from GUM-HNL and it was actually quite good. However my flight was a "test" flight and there was an IT geek on the plane to make sure that everything worked well.

There was no power, but I've invested in a lot of lithium from hypershop.com to keep my electrons flowing even on long flights.

Once power is available at individual seats, probably by 2018, this would be better than having to rely on the crappy in seat monitors, etc.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by star_world

are you trying to convince us that they couldn't have changed to slimline seats and kept the 1990s-style controls at each seat? Come on, you know that's just not true.
What on gods green earth are you speaking about now...have no idea what you're saying/implying/even asking for. Could UAL have...wired the seats for headphone jacks? Yeah...I'm sure they could have....but what again does this have to do with anything? Again, as when it comes to speaking about UAL's revenues, you'd rather obfuscate.

You said "These aircraft were upgraded first because the existing product was so bad."

You have thus far been unwilling and/or unable to qualify that statement with any factual basis other than your own bias rant about how poor UAL's product was. End of story
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It was my understanding that removing the weight on the on-board AV system (and replacing with wifi based appraoch) along with the reduced weight of the new seats was part of the calculation of the net positive financial benefit (for UA) of the additional seating row airbus changes.
This is completely correct, as far as I know. But it doesn't mean the slimline seats have anything to do with wifi. They could have kept the original seats and added wifi and streaming IFE, or vice versa. UA decided to do both, that's all. ....
I'm guessing both were needed to pencil out the desired ROI.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: HH honors, Mileage Plus, Delta
I will welcome this for the 747's. My only 2 problem will be
1. battery issues. My external 4 AH battery is not going to cut it. Now all we will need it some sort of power connection.
2. I use Andriod tablet's and phones so until UA get's the app made I will be SOL.

I would settle for a 1/2 amp USB port and forgo the 110 volt outlet.

Last edited by ama537621; Mar 13, 2014 at 1:51 am
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I'm guessing both were needed to pencil out the desired ROI.
I agree.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
I agree that Android apps should be kept at parity with their iOS counterparts, but note that when companies develop for iOS first they're not doing so out of some starry-eyed idiocy; rather, they're doing it because usage data show that iOS users use proprietary apps 2-4x more than Android users do.
They also use non-proprietary apps like the web a lot more.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tuolumne
You said "These aircraft were upgraded first because the existing product was so bad."

You have thus far been unwilling and/or unable to qualify that statement with any factual basis other than your own bias rant about how poor UAL's product was. End of story
Pretty much.

I don't know of anyone that says the prior seats on the Airbii are worse than the new ones.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I am assuming installations have started for this streaming product. The last few Airbus birds have had inop drop down video systems, so manual demo's we performed. All of the aircraft still had old seating and working Ch9, nothing was "slimed" yet, and all had working wi-fi. When streaming was first discussed I assumed it was part of the wifi product, and since that doesn't work for a while after takeoff, I assumed ch9 was dead.....now hearing that streaming is a different system, there may be hope ch9 could be included from gate to gate....wishful thinking I know...I shouldn't expect things to work that way, but I guess never hurts to hope...lol
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by asphaltman
I am assuming installations have started for this streaming product. The last few Airbus birds have had inop drop down video systems, so manual demo's we performed. All of the aircraft still had old seating and working Ch9, nothing was "slimed" yet, and all had working wi-fi. When streaming was first discussed I assumed it was part of the wifi product, and since that doesn't work for a while after takeoff, I assumed ch9 was dead.....now hearing that streaming is a different system, there may be hope ch9 could be included from gate to gate....wishful thinking I know...I shouldn't expect things to work that way, but I guess never hurts to hope...lol
I was just on one, a 4 hour flight. Malfunctioning wifi; no power; no entertainment of any kind; and of course the dreaded slimline seats.

I asked the FA "on what percentage of your flights do you actually see functioning wifi"? She apologized profusely, said "we don't like these changes either", and asked us to write in.

We received the new(ish?) "sorry for the inconvenience cards"...in the past, you'd get the miles/$/% option, now it's just "we'll follow up in 30 days!" Yeah right.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by snowed
Had this on my SFO-HNL-SFO turn on the 777. UA sent an email a couple days before announcing streaming entertainment would be available and to make sure my devices were fully charged.

Overall works pretty well but the selection of movies is not on par with the AVOD on the intl planes. But definitely better than the one movie they used to show on this flight. So overall it is an improvement.
I got an email about a flight this past weekend -- FAs could never actually get the wifi to work.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:16 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

We received the new(ish?) "sorry for the inconvenience cards"...in the past, you'd get the miles/$/% option, now it's just "we'll follow up in 30 days!" Yeah right.
I received no response to one of those cards I received for wifi problems SFO-HKG. Nothing. Nada. Not even a "we're sorry for the inconvenience" e-mail.

Why even bother giving them out?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:12 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
It's still free. The only people that this is a downgrade for are (a) people who don't have a laptop, phone or tablet they can use to watch the new content, or (b) people who prefer watching reruns of TV shows on a mark I LCD screen that is unwatchable from most viewing angles.

Assuming it works - and that's a big assumption - I see this as a huge improvement for these aircraft. But of course that type of logic doesn't necessarily apply here
Its a huge downgrade from a comfort prospective, and doesn't have Channel 9. I realize that you might try to make the incorrect argument that there is not a high uptake of FTFD, but that clearly isn't true - given that Smisek himself felt the need to affirm that it was staying and being added to all mainline aircraft. All these years later, and fewer, not more, planes are flying around without FTFD. That IS a downgrade. They could have easily operated a WiFi system without changing anything else - they chose not to.

Originally Posted by thebreezytraveler
Why in the world do they roll these things out on Airbus then 747s (similar to wifi)? Almost all the domestic routes are 737s.

With wifi it's such a joke. They show the updates by aircraft making it seem like they are close across the board (except 737s). In reality, only 20% (sadly I did the math) of the fleet are currently updated with wifi.

Ok -- my rant is done for the day.
They are running a few 737s around with WiFi, but its shockingly few, given that they are fully equipped to do so.

Anyway, the reason WiFi was rolled out on the A320 Family aircraft before the 737s is because Continental had a major contract with Live TV and DirecTV to operate those planes with that product - despite its substantial weight and limitations. On the other hand, WiFi allowed them to rip out a heavier system that they didn't charge for on the Airbus, and still claim they are offering some sort of IFE (despite not keeping their promises about Channel 9)

UA has ~150 A319/320s. They fly huge numbers of domestic routes. In fact, they fly less overwater routes than the 737 fleet. "Almost all" the domestic routes are not 737s - not even close.

These aircraft were upgraded first because the existing product was so bad. Most of the 737s have live TV and most of the rest of the long haul fleet has AVOD in Y (except the awful 763s).
Uh, part of the existing product is a single offering that they had special press releases to specifically state was sticking around, as it actually is a factor in loyalty decisions. Despite those promises, the number of planes is decreasing with that product.

Further, if management had its way, Live TV would be gone immediately. The product is exceptionally heavy - to the point that B6 had to reduce the number of seats in their aircraft twice in order to keep their range reliable - and the carrier doesn't get all that much of the revenue. On the other hand, for better or worse, United basically controls its WiFi offering and it uses systems on the aircraft that are already going to be there - adding minimal weight.

Make no mistake, Live TV will be gone as soon as the contract is up.

WiFi could have, and has, been added before putting in the awful slimline seats and without taking out the existing audio system - which incorporates Channel 9.

Originally Posted by drowelf
The major ones being that there are no power outlets and the IFE does not work with Android devices.
Which is pretty ridiculous

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Death of Ch 9?
Originally Posted by goalie
Imho, Yup
Not only is this , but it goes completely against the promises made after the merger, where the backlash against the threat of removing it was so strong, that they had to both reassure that it was staying and say that the whole mainline fleet would get it. So, where is it? Or was that a untrue?

Why would I be trying to fool anyone? What do slimline seats have to do with WiFi? Sounds like you're taking one change you feel bitter about and assuming another change was made to support it.
They have everything to do with it.

1) The slimlines aren't equipped to support IFE wiring. As such, they couldn't keep what they were offering, so they had to go with WiFi.

2) They needed to keep some sort of IFE, and WiFi is actually quite easy to add on modern planes. The weight is also negligible.

3) The slimlines are part of a program to reduce weight and add seats anyway, while at least pretending not to reduce marginal comfort - at least as far as usable legroom is. Ripping out the wired IFE also does the same.

This is completely correct, as far as I know. But it doesn't mean the slimline seats have anything to do with wifi. They could have kept the original seats and added wifi and streaming IFE, or vice versa. UA decided to do both, that's all.

are you trying to convince us that they couldn't have changed to slimline seats and kept the 1990s-style controls at each seat? Come on, you know that's just not true.
Its pretty clear that they couldn't, or wouldn't, keep the "1990s-style controls" at the seats with the slimlines.

Originally Posted by acrespo
United is finally catching up with Southwest. They have been offering this for a while.
To United's credit, when the WiFi works, it is faster than Southwest's offering. I don't find it as fast, or reliable, as GoGo at this point, but it does have the potential to be better. I really worry what will happen when the full content is offered and there is more substantial uptake.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:42 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by acrespo
United is finally catching up with Southwest. They have been offering this for a while.
United is talking about catching up with Southwest.

Remember, the 744s were all supposed to be outfitted with power in Y by the end of 2013. Not a single one has it yet. Now it's supposed to happen in 2014. Any bets on whether they do any better living up to this promise?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by GroundStop
But, does this part of the announcement fill anyone else with complete and utter dread?!:
Quote:
Originally Posted by United Hub
this new service, sponsored by the MileagePlus® Explorer Card
- viewing interrupted every 5 minutes by a Chase Explorer Card commercial?!
Originally Posted by drowelf
They actually require a specific app? I thought it was streaming video via your Web Browser?
Is there really a specific app you need to install to watch the content?

If so, "sponsored by the MileagePlus® Explorer Card" makes me VERY leery about what kind of personal data on my phone this app is going to have access to...

Am I wrong to wonder about this?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 7:37 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
UA is almost catching up with LCC...

Sounds like UA is continuing the race to the bottom.
I had streaming entertainment to your own device, working just fine on iOS and Android, on SCOOT, a Singapore budget carrier, last year!
Now, United is installing it. It's an improvement over the 80s TV under the ceiling, it's cheap to install and operate - but it's not as nice as having a big, working screen with lots of content in front of you - in addition to your own phone/tablet/computer!
UA keeps choosing the cheapest - but least convenient solution for the passenger... way to go, flyer friendly - right!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.