Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[confirmed] UA to strictly enforce carry-on size starting 1-Mar-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[confirmed] UA to strictly enforce carry-on size starting 1-Mar-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver finally, DL GM until next year, Marriott Gold
Exclamation [confirmed] UA to strictly enforce carry-on size starting 1-Mar-2014

I have heard that UA will begin to "strictly" enforce the carry-on size, personal item size, and the number of items being carried onboard beginning March 1. Word on the street is it will be enforced regardless of cabin or status.

Also, they are going to charge the appropriate fees at the gate for checking oversize carryons or extra bags if you try to carry too many.

I kind of like this, your thoughts?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by lalalandMCI
Agree.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: Freelancer
Originally Posted by lalalandMCI
I have heard that UA will begin to "strictly" enforce the carry-on size, personal item size, and the number of items being carried onboard beginning March 1. Word on the street is it will be enforced regardless of cabin or status.

Also, they are going to charge the appropriate fees at the gate for checking oversize carryons or extra bags if you try to carry too many.

Care to share your source?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:43 am
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I was flying home other day from BOI-SFO-ORD and in BOI they announced that any bags that did not fit properly would be required to be checked and fees paid. If they fit than any bags to be checked at gate would be done.

They pointed out sizer device and many people went over and tested.

BTW I do like process but I think it is being implemented to generate revenue.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy Hour
Care to share your source?
It is an internal memo shared by a friend...
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:49 am

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
Good.

I'm a 1K so I never have an issue finding overhead space for my small bag but years ago it drove me nuts when I would get on and I would see a couple with 4+ bags in one bin taking up the whole thing.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thepla
I was flying home other day from BOI-SFO-ORD and in BOI they announced that any bags that did not fit properly would be required to be checked and fees paid. If they fit than any bags to be checked at gate would be done.

They pointed out sizer device and many people went over and tested.

BTW I do like process but I think it is being implemented to generate revenue.
I have seen that as well, but there is apparently going to be a big push systemwide, as not all stations are enforcing. The memo I saw said they have chosen March 1 so they have time to communicate to the "valued customers"

I remember a few years ago DL tried something like this. I was in DSM boarding a regional flight, and before they would scan your boarding pass, you had to put your bag in the sizer, and if it fit, you would board. If it didn't, you stepped to the side, and paid.

Originally Posted by RockinPete
Good.

I'm a 1K so I never have an issue finding overhead space for my small bag but years ago it drove me nuts when I would get on and I would see a couple with 4+ bags in one bin taking up the whole thing.
I am just a "Regular Joe" on UA and it drives me bonkers when I see people dragging their entire life with them on the plane.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 2, 2014 at 2:04 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
99.2% of the people who claim to be for this will come back to complain about it later when they learn that their tiny personal item that fits underneath all seats in the fleet is technically noncompliant.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:54 am

I think it is a good idea. I live in Europe and every time I go to the US I am shocked to see how large carry-ons people actually bring. In Europe I never had troubles finding space for my carry-ons but in the US it can be very challenging.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 12:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
99.2% of the people who claim to be for this will come back to complain about it later when they learn that their tiny personal item that fits underneath all seats in the fleet is technically noncompliant.
I have seen the new sizers out, and they look to be fairly generous for the personal item... though I usually only carry a laptop bag onboard with me.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:21 am

Programs: United 1K
Bravo!

Actually, they should charge for carry ons. First 10 pounds are free. $10 per pound for the next 20 pounds. $100 per pound for the next 20 pounds. $1000 per pound after that. Bring everything you want! That might actually generate some revenue for them.

Alternatively, let folks buy an overhead bin for the flight.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeKayaker
Bravo!

Actually, they should charge for carry ons. First 10 pounds are free. $10 per pound for the next 20 pounds. $100 per pound for the next 20 pounds. $1000 per pound after that. Bring everything you want! That might actually generate some revenue for them.

Quoting Sheldon from "Big Bang" Sarcasm?

All kidding aside, I think it would help expedite boarding once they start enforcing it, though they would have to stick to it.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bravo!

This is definitely a good thing to write up for April Fool's Day - it is out there but we can trust UA to do it Now I definitely have to figure out for UA to take back the Tumi Carry On bag they promoted for Black Friday that does not meet the dimension...

The speculation / prediction started a while back here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rry-sizer.html

Last edited by username; Feb 2, 2014 at 3:40 am
Old Feb 2, 2014, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I think that oversized carry ons (otherwise known as suitcases which people are hoping to sneak through to avoid paying) should be charged at double the standard rate for checked bags - whether or not you are entitled to free checked bags. The key is to find a strong disincentive.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Bravo!

Then fly Spirit. You have that kind of option on them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.