Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[confirmed] UA to strictly enforce carry-on size starting 1-Mar-2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[confirmed] UA to strictly enforce carry-on size starting 1-Mar-2014

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I've never waited more than 10 minutes for an intl bag at ORD, IAD, EWR
You must be living a charmed life...I have waited 40 minutes-1hour many, many times at both IAD and ORD coming off UA international flights...and don't get me started on LAX and SFO!

Originally Posted by steve64
Are you GLOBAL ENTRY ?
If you wait in line for awhile to get thru Immigration checks then you need to count that time also. For Global Entry folks, our time thru Immigrations is short thus making the wait for bags seem much longer. Having to wait for checked bags actually nullifies most of the GE benefit (which ironically, in my case, UA paid my GE fee).

If you're actually trying to say that you've never seen Intl bags tale more than 10 minutes from arrival to delivery (which is how I read your post) then you have lost all credibility with me.

Yes, if I bring home too much stuff then I have to check like everyone else. GE does not change that. What changed is the fact that my 22" "carry on" (per the manufacturer) which I've always been able to take on-board is now suddenly is out of compliance with UA (despite having never had a problem storing it in the overheads). I only use that bag on longer trips such as Intl and leave empty room on the outbound so I can return home with my "treasures" without checking the bag.

IMHO, your post is a little narrow minded and ignores the fact that some of us have this all planned out. We travel a lot, know the rules and abide by them. And now ... in a move that appears to be driven by greed, not operational necessity, UA is restricting the rules. The current problem with carry-on bags isn't that the old rules allowed bags that were too large. It was that the existing limits were usually not enforced. That's why I say the new bag sizes are aimed at getting more revenue, not to get the flight out.
Spot on!

Last edited by 1KPath; Feb 22, 2014 at 8:50 am Reason: Consolidation
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by exerda
I've waited nearly 45 at LAX before, 40 at DEN (this was the really baffling one), and more than 30 at IAD. YMMV.
I've never received my bag at IAD any earlier than 20 minutes from arrival in the baggage area. 30 minutes is the norm, and it can be 45 minutes easy. By contrast, I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes at DCA.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by sgw2124
Just got an email tonight from UA, reminding me of where the carry-on bags go, and reiterating that if they don't fit in the sizer, they will be checked to my final destination.
Flyer unfriendly at its finest.

I will be retiring my Travelpro Flight crew 4. Its about half an inch too long and too wide for the sizer I checked it against in GRR.
Ironic how a bag made by crews, for crews, fails to pass the 'boarding' test....

Originally Posted by goalie
Free is a four letter word in the new world order of King Jeffie The First (and besides, boarding is imho already a cluster so even if (n.b. if) kettles were allowed a free checked bag, boarding would still be a cluster)
Maybe they should just ban kettles!

Originally Posted by windycityf
I received the email and was not too concerned until I looked at the dimensions of my normal carry ons. I have a 20in Tumi that is ok and a Longchamp Le Pliage Large this is not?
Le Pliage Large
DIMENSIONS
12 1/4 x 12 x 7 1/2 inch

So what I can bring my Prada purse on board with my Tumi? Or what will happen when i am using my Coach weekender 21" (L) x 13 3/4" (H) x 8 3/4" (W), with one of my big purses? If my bags are not full, no problem. But sometimes I shop overseas. And with global entry I hate hate hate waiting for my bags on international arrivals.

I guess i need to invest in a new checked bag.
Just love name dropping labels huh?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Feb 22, 2014 at 12:54 pm Reason: merge
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Just love name dropping labels huh?
Yeah, that was weird.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Yeah, that was weird.
I was thinking it was sarcasm at first, but I did not get that 'vibe' after re-reading it.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
I was thinking it was sarcasm at first, but I did not get that 'vibe' after re-reading it.
I actually thought she was trying to be descriptive and give context to her concerns by mentioning the brands, because a lot of Prada bags are odd-sized and large (i.e., doesn't fit in a sizer), and the Coach weekender is also a somewhat odd shape. Lots of people have been talking about Tumi/BR/Rimowa, etc. rollers.

That and nobody name-drops Coach anymore...

Greg
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:18 am
RNE

Originally Posted by zombietooth
I have NEVER had a bag come off the belt on any international flight in 10 minutes in the US.
Nor have I. But that's true for international airports too—at least in my experience. The point is, bags that have to go through Customs before going onward onto another flight should be prioritized and rushed to Claims so their owners can get through Customs and on to their connections.

RNE, wishing UA would worry about promptly handling checked bags (which they charge for!) rather than pitch a fit about the size of carry-ons.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I travel with a 15 inch MB pro and ipad usually and my personal item bag (Tom Bihn Super Ego) fits perfectly. Are you talking about a bag who's width is 10.25? I've seen (have) those multi-compartment roller laptop bags that has room for files, laptop and even clothes - That is probably not considered a personal item at that point.
From the Tom Bihn web site re: dimensions of the bag you reference.

Dimensions: 17" x 14.5" x 6.75"

Next!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:52 am

The "New United" is doing something "New" and that is to squeeze a buck out of any possible thing that they can. Like it or not, that's the fact. Nobody likes change, especially when it cramps their style. All the crying in the world ain't gonna change UA's determination to MAKE LOT'S-A money. Caring about anyone's feelings ain't in the "New United's" vocabulary, so either go along with the "New" policy, or join the others that say they are finished (for good) with this airline, and then continue to post on this forum, and continually bit-h that they are mad as hell, and ain't gonna take it any more (over & over)!

I also agree with others that if UA charges for baggage they should be subject to having luggage given back to a passenger in a certain amount of time or the pax gets a refund for the luggage charged, in FULL. Paying $100.00 for a checked bag and then waiting for over an hour to retrieve it is a rip off. (Missing a 90 min connection from international is just plain b.s., especially when your inbound arrived ON-TIME). Either they hire more people with the added revenue, or they make sure that the one's they have working for them presently get the job done promptly.

What goes around, comes around!!!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Baze
Not everyone can pack what they need for a trip into a carryon.
Why not?

In December I was in India for a couple weeks, and without going home first, went on a one week cruise thereafter. I planned for washing my clothing the day prior to sailing in FLL. Because the cruise had two formals I packed a suit jacket, slacks, two long sleeve shirts, and a tie. I wore black leather walking shoes that would be good enough for a formal dinner after polishing (definitely needed after two weeks of dust in BLR). My other carry on have my laptop, ipad medications, and papers.

My wife met me in FLL, and noted that she had to check a bag because she couldn't fit a weeks worth of stuff into a 22 inch carry on. For the Carribean.

She admitted half way through the cruise that she had too much stuff; most of her clothes were never worn.

Non-elites seated on the aisle will of course will run out of overhead space. As will elites arriving on late connections. That and a handicap are the only reasons to check bags that contain clothing.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by NYC_747
"One carry-on bag that fits in the overhead bin (no larger than 9" x 14" x 22" including handles and wheels)"

That is smaller than the published IATA size, which is 10" x 18" x 22"!!!
That's my biggest issue with the new plicy.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by steve64
Are you GLOBAL ENTRY ?
If you wait in line for awhile to get thru Immigration checks then you need to count that time also. For Global Entry folks, our time thru Immigrations is short thus making the wait for bags seem much longer. Having to wait for checked bags actually nullifies most of the GE benefit (which ironically, in my case, UA paid my GE fee).

If you're actually trying to say that you've never seen Intl bags tale more than 10 minutes from arrival to delivery (which is how I read your post) then you have lost all credibility with me.

Yes, if I bring home too much stuff then I have to check like everyone else. GE does not change that. What changed is the fact that my 22" "carry on" (per the manufacturer) which I've always been able to take on-board is now suddenly is out of compliance with UA (despite having never had a problem storing it in the overheads). I only use that bag on longer trips such as Intl and leave empty room on the outbound so I can return home with my "treasures" without checking the bag.

IMHO, your post is a little narrow minded and ignores the fact that some of us have this all planned out. We travel a lot, know the rules and abide by them. And now ... in a move that appears to be driven by greed, not operational necessity, UA is restricting the rules. The current problem with carry-on bags isn't that the old rules allowed bags that were too large. It was that the existing limits were usually not enforced. That's why I say the new bag sizes are aimed at getting more revenue, not to get the flight out.

My bad. My reference was to checked luggage reconnect at the airports, that is arriving international and connecting domestic.

Even with GE, the checked luggage usually beats me to the recheck point in my experience.

On the other end, I agree it is a longer wait, although the new handlers at ALB are hitting 10 minutes or less now.

It's unfair to call this a money grab when fares across the industry have gone to this model of lower fares and charges for extras to those who use them.

No airline carries "free baggage"
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by 1KPath
You must be living a charmed life...I have waited 40 minutes-1hour many, many times at both IAD and ORD coming off UA international flights...and don't get me started on LAX and SFO!
I also find a 10 minutes wait extremely lucky. My last time arriving in EWR was 55 minutes.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I've gone back to using the big zip lock type garment bags. I went to them post 9/11 because they were always going thru bags. A went to them last year as I worry more about bed bugs from hotels and overall bag management.

They really help with packing and more importantly on re-packing on the return, which never is as efficient. Get the kind that don't need a vacuum to work, the ones with the air valve all along the bottom are best. They even have suit jacket sized ones now..

Got a two weeker int trip, the key is working the laundry right in the hotel.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
Flying on Monday & received an email about carry on & UA policy. Also got a link to purchase new bags @ an allegedly discounted price that is compliant with said policy. My computer bag is 1" too thick. I look forward to seeing what happens.
Here is the page for those who didn't get the mail:

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/carryon.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.