Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Posted experiences suggest it will be returned (but not until post flight) most of the time, appears sometimes a call is needed (as it gets into some limbo state).
I will possibly end up doing this on my Friday SFO-CLE flight. If the RPU doesn't clear at T24 (it won't) and IF they offer me the TOD I will buy up rather than continue to roll the dice for the chance the RPU will clear on the redeye. FWIW I will keep an eye on the RPU to make sure it is returned but quite honestly not sure why, they seem pretty worthless.
I have a another SFO-CLE turn around next month that I bought up to W with hope that at least that will clear. This Friday's flight I didn't buy up to W, exact class of ticket it is I don't know off hand.
Also still standing on RPUs placed months ago on two SFO-BOS flights for later next week and next month... not holding my breath on those and also did NOT buy up on those.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
I have a another SFO-CLE turn around next month that I bought up to W with hope that at least that will clear. This Friday's flight I didn't buy up to W, exact class of ticket it is I don't know off hand....
I thought that you didn't need a W fare to apply RPUs?
Old May 23, 2017, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I have a another SFO-CLE turn around next month that I bought up to W with hope that at least that will clear.
Originally Posted by transportprof
I thought that you didn't need a W fare to apply RPUs?
Correct, no minimum fare requirement for RPU.

And if hoping W would improve spot on the upgrade list, it's still a discount fare, on the lower end of the fare hierarchy (Y,B,M,E,U,H,Q,V,W,S,T,L,K,G). So that's likely just wasted $$. Maybe buying M, E, or U would help, but at that point why not just purchase discount F?
Old May 23, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Correct, no minimum fare requirement for RPU.

And if hoping W would improve spot on the upgrade list, it's still a discount fare, on the lower end of the fare hierarchy (Y,B,M,E,U,H,Q,V,W,S,T,L,K,G). So that's likely just wasted $$. Maybe buying M, E, or U would help, but at that point why not just purchase discount F?
Yeah kind of an experiment if you will (I know "sucker game"). The W was $80 more on the SFO-CLE RT ticket. I tried it last year once on a TATL SFO-MUN ticket and it didn't work and I swore I wouldn't do it again. But I am snake bit with these instruments. ZERO have cleared in almost 12 months now. Starting July I will throw them at everything, I don't care if it's my SFO-MFR runs.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
And if hoping W would improve spot on the upgrade list, it's still a discount fare, on the lower end of the fare hierarchy (Y,B,M,E,U,H,Q,V,W,S,T,L,K,G). So that's likely just wasted $$.
I have far, far better CPU/RPU odds on W/V/Q than S/T fares (usually fly on those 5 domestically). I think it was WineCountryUA who speculated that this is because anyone who's listed for UG and flying xxx-SFO-CLE -- where xxx is international -- has to be on W or higher (since W is minimum fare for GPU). In turn, that means there's a large clustering of upgraders at the W/V level.

So if you put yourself at or just above a W, you'll probably jump ahead of a fair few upgraders coming off intl flights.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfo789
So if you put yourself at or just above a W, you'll probably jump ahead of a fair few upgraders coming off intl flights.
On business routes, I find anything below an E or U to be extremely low odds for an upgrade. There's no way I would pay up to a W in hopes of clearing an RPU.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:47 pm

On business routes, I find anything below an E or U to be extremely low odds for an upgrade. There's no way I would pay up to a W in hopes of clearing an RPU.
Well I will let you know what happens. That trip isn't until late June. If it doesn't clear I won't do it again for sure. It wasn't to spendy for the up purchase and like I said nothing is clearing so I'll roll the dice one last time. Didn't quote E/U fares but obviously more $$$.
Old May 23, 2017, 5:07 pm

Well I will let you know what happens. That trip isn't until late June. If it doesn't clear I won't do it again for sure. It wasn't to spendy for the up purchase and like I said nothing is clearing so I'll roll the dice one last time. Didn't quote E/U fares but obviously more $$$.
Well good luck, I hope you are the exception here!
Old May 23, 2017, 5:14 pm

I do think even on "business" routes, upgrade odds depend a little on time, route, luck, etc., and sometimes the upfare might well be worth it. I've cleared Thursday and Friday morning SFO-ORD and SFO-IAD on W fares (once even on a CPU!), have never missed an RPU on the intl 772 when it flies IAD<>SFO, etc.

Obviously a Thursday redeye SFO-EWR is going to be disastrous unless you're a GS on a Y fare, but I do recall (as a counterexample) missing the CPU on LAX-CLE on an S then getting it on a W soon after.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by sfo789
I do think even on "business" routes, upgrade odds depend a little on time, route, luck, etc.
Oh I fully agree with that.

I just wouldn't pay extra to upfare to W on those routes. It's a very low odds proposition. (And even if you accept the "international connecting GPUs" theory, booking a W at best gives you a tie. You'd have to go to at least a V to get any advantage.)
Old May 23, 2017, 6:23 pm

I just wouldn't pay extra to upfare to W on those routes. It's a very low odds proposition.
Agree most of the time. That said, sometimes I'm willing to roll the dice if the upfare is low and the value proposition is high. I remember flying IAD-SFO on an intl 772 in November on a relatively busy day; the flight showed PN6 about 2 weeks out. UA was selling a ~T, upped to V and crossed fingers. Cleared a couple days out. Pretty sure the T wouldn't have been so lucky judging by the size of the list.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by transportprof
I wonder what would have happened if you did the cash upgrade while you're still waitlisted for the RPU? Would you have gotten the instrument back easily? Anyone had this experience?
One data point:

LAX-HNL

Applied instruments to MrsDELee and myself even though R=0.

One day later, I checked the webpage and its offering $299/person to buy up in to P. After asking MrsDELee again (had asked when I booked if she was ok to book into F or a day before if she was ok with sitting in E+), she said "buy". So I bought - with the instruments still applied.

Anyway, just before T-24, instruments still not returned, so I called 1K and the agent pulled them off before I went and checked in.

So, no, the instruments did not come back without asking but it wasn't hard. And we still had the offer to buy up even though I had the instruments applied.

David
Old May 23, 2017, 11:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
.... So, no, the instruments did not come back without asking ...
The RPU stays attached to the reservation after the buy-up (even if there is nothing it can do) but after the flight occurs, the unused RPU should be returned (as is normal for any unused RPU). But not earlier.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DELee
So, no, the instruments did not come back without asking but it wasn't hard. And we still had the offer to buy up even though I had the instruments applied.
Thanks for the data point. I pulled the RPU off the itinerary before T-24 because I had read a report on this board about an RPU that appeared to prevent a buy-up from being offered. That story may have been apocryphal, but in the instance last week, I didn't want to leave the upgrade to chance. It looked like no upgrades cleared on that flight, and we had a tarmac delay. The $129 for a lie-flat 757 seat on TPA-EWR was money well spent.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:25 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
.. I pulled the RPU off the itinerary before T-24 because I had read a report on this board about an RPU that appeared to prevent a buy-up from being offered. That story may have been apocryphal, but in the instance last week, I didn't want to leave the upgrade to chance. ...
There are many, many reports of folks getting cash upgrades offers with waitlisted instruments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.