Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
R inventory

Originally Posted by gokeeper
I'm not surprised to see this happening after DL's action few weeks ago...bought milespoint platinum for my upcoming EF renewal, wish I didn't!
Did DL do the same with EF? Hopefully, this won't result in the removal of the ability to search for R inventory in the expert mode. Maybe UA is coming out with an enhancement of their upgrade search process but I'm not optimistic.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by halls120
I can't understand why United increasingly treats its customers as the enemy.
IMO, it's simple:

When your customer base doesn't HAVE A CHOICE (think EWR, IAH, or GUM), you can treat them like carp and they still fly your airline.

Then you just purchase a large international competitor and use the same ideas.

Ought to work, no??

Dave
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Gold, UA MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I suspect that this policy was implemented to limit the opportunity to 'jump the queue" in the upgade list. Obviously it still could be done, but you now have ti find your own availability with your own search.
I suspect you're right, but rather than fix the problem, we'll screw all of our FF's

Another change I like, the hits just keep on coming.......I will have no problem hitting 1k in 2014 and equally no problem with PRDs. Question is will I? Not a chance, I will fly the cheapest.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Maybe EF couldn't / wouldn't pay an amount of money that UA deemed acceptable for access to this data.

Surprised this hasn't been suggested once in 48 angry posts.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Buckdany
That blows big time. I really don't have much use for EF now...
Frankly, I don't have much use for United after this. In the last 24 months, >500k BIS miles. Now going to go to SQ and / or the lowest fare.

Also, for when I do fly united, good luck convincing me to buy up to a GPU eligible fare overwater.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: 1K MMiler, Hertz 5*
I wonder if this change isn't being made to hide a change of upgrade release policy. Australia to US flights for 2014 now show zero availability for the 3 months I just checked (not one upgrade available using miles/GPU's), including a bunch of flights that had availability 2 days ago.
UA is nuts if they think I'm going to stay around.......
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Originally Posted by GBadger
It's easier (and cheaper) to hide the problems than it is to fix them. That's all this comes down to.
+1. I would like to hear an official response to this thread from UA. I love spin.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:12 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
UA tried to do this before and caused a massive uproar.

Let's hope they can be persuaded to change their minds again.

UA Insider, where the heck are you?
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Maybe they thought too many people were using it to get upgrades with miles (or checking if cash upgrades had become TODs) on R tickets before elite upgrades could kick in, but I rather doubt that is their reason as elites were pretty savvy about EF as well, and I would have thought UA would be happy getting the miles (or the dollars) anyway.

Frankly, I can't see how this helps them sell more tickets, and might help them sell less. AA is rarely an option on my domestic routes, but US is, and sometimes Delta. Internationally, AF, Virgin and BA are my usual other options. I typically have R alerts set for multiple flights on multiple airlines at any given time, and will make a decision when I see availability. I will probably continue to use EF for a time. I am sure l will also use UA expert mode for a while to compare, but whichever flight I find that is upgradeable first is going to get bought. If that is not UA, it will not be UA.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Here's my view of this flow of events:

1. Many of us complain publicly and privately to UA Insider and others at UA about people being sold UGs while we establish that there is no inventory available to those of us WLed with a hard-earned instrument
2 We beg UA to respond publicly with whether this is policy or a glitch
3. Crickets in response
4. UA remove our ability to discover what I describe in 1.

How would the reasonable person interpret that chain of events?

I think it is clear that UA want a poorly informed passenger so that they can play whatever shenanigans they like behind the veil of SHARES.

Mr. Smisek, you are making it very hard for this 14-year 1K and just shy of 2MMer to remain loyal. I REALLY want to but it is becoming almost impossible.

I will wait patiently for a short time for a reversal of this customer-unfriendly move as happened last time with EF, then cancel my EF subscription and look very closely at my airline loyalties.

BAD DOG UNITED!

Lurker

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by sfonorth
Did DL do the same with EF?
DL recently pulled its complimentary upgrade inventory from EF, but continues to allow miles/SWU inventory to be accessed. for now. :-/

so yes, even in this, united is (kind of) copying delta.

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
This change suggests expert mode will lose R/RN visibility in coming days. I am certain United doesn't like people intentionally booking coach knowing they can immediately upgrade on ticketing. I'm sure management thinks they are leaving revenue on the table since some customers will now book premium cabins who would otherwise pay coach/upgrade. Unfortunately, after 2 1/2 years, upgrade processing still doesn't work properly. So, now, they just hide the fact that upgrades are not happening according to their published order.

Kiss R and RN goodbye on Expert Mode. I bet phone agents won't be able to see it either.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
20,000 miles away from MM.......then back to AA!!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:19 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dkc715
Kiss R and RN goodbye on Expert Mode. I bet phone agents won't be able to see it either.
Note that Expert Flyer didn't limit it to R and RN--they're also including IN and XN inventory in what they say UA is blocking ("elite awards").
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
This is a kick in the pants... No other way to describe it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.