Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
UA Insider's reply in posts 247 and 254 of this thread:
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

We recognize the importance and value to you of accessible and transparent information about United flights. It’s a meaningful part of your travel planning, and we are committed to providing useful information that is both accurate and preserves the integrity of United’s data and systems.

While we are committed to data transparency, Expert Flyer has been accessing united.com in an unauthorized fashion to retrieve UA availability. In addition, these activities have consumed significant united.com bandwidth that could otherwise be used by regular consumers. As a result, we had to take this action to protect the security and integrity of United’s systems.

Thank you for your understanding as to why we had to take this action. We continue to look at ways in which we can provide you with timely and useful information (some of which you will see in new releases of our own digital channels) as well as with partners that have authorized access to our data.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Expert mode/visibility in UA channels is unaffected by this.
Print Wikipost

UA Blocking Expert Flyer and KVS Access to R and Elite Award Searches.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Once again, UA is following DL:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ilability.html
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Just got the email, and like most of you, jumped onto FT!

Very disappointed with this latest change.. Another nail in the coffin for UA customers!
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
I wonder if AA will follow suit. Wait I guess that's not really important because I've never had the equivalent of an R space upgrade not clear on AA. Remaining 1ks get out while you can.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: Mileage Plan
UA Blocking Access to R Inventory Searches as of 10/31/2013? (per ExpertFlyer.com)

+1 to all of this. :-(
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler , Hertz #1 Gold Five Star, Sixt Platinum and various hotel programs
Incredibly disappointing. Seems self-defeating for United--why hide this information from (presumably) loyal MileagePlus members who are simply trying to use their (sometimes) hard-earned miles efficiently?

I do recall United taking its data off ExpertFlyer a couple of years (?) ago and then they apparently reconsidered and the data reappeared on ExpertFlyer. Perhaps they will again see the light.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
At its heart, this is essentially a further devaluation of GPUs. There's very limited availability of R space at the best of times. So, to make GPUs useable, we had to pay our $50 to ExpertFlyer in order to have a reasonable shot at finding that elusive availability. By removing that tool, there will be few people who have the time or the patience to manually trawl through UA's website looking for space several times per day.

To me, this is one of the biggest downgrades to 1K status that UA has made.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Somehow my post got completely deleted - so I'll say again - I just got this too.

And it really messes with fixing "wait listed" upgrades using GPU/RPU/Miles when the inventory opens up and SHARES fails to clear the upgrade.
Exactly. One of the primary reasons I use ExpertFlyer. I can think of 4 times this year when I would've been in Y had I not been able to "fix the glitch" using EF.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:31 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

This sucks, but I use expert mode on UA.com to obtain such information. Often I would manually find the space before I even receive an EF alert.

Less transparency sucks though
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I hope everyone sends a comment to UA about this - and how it is far from "flyer____friendly".
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Another downgrade in service/ease of use/benefits.

The UNFRIENDLY SKIES of United.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

As if I needed any more reasons to be done with UA. They just keep giving them to me.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by love_to_travel
I was just about to buy a subscription. I wonder if UA is going to sell an EF-like service.
I just set my subscription to not renew.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
It's easier (and cheaper) to hide the problems than it is to fix them. That's all this comes down to.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
+1 to all the above

Does anyone know if this will effect KVSTool, which worked around previous bans by United. (Note to United: if you keep making it hard for me to spend money with you, I won't.)
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Another "friendly" change

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.