Wiki Posts
Search

United Miles on Singapore Business

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by mherdeg
On the other hand, I challenge you to try booking a three-cabin SQ F award in 2013 with any award currency other than KrisFlyer miles.
That's the ONLY thing krisflyer is good for - SQ's own F and J on long hauls ... for any other type of aspirational award, stick with UA miles
Old May 17, 2013, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dval44
My employer is flying me business class (D) to Asia on Singapore for several thousand dollars each way. Getting close to United Silver status, I was excited for the business class acceleration of miles and status.

However, much to my surprise, a Singapore business D ticket accumulates the same amount of miles and status miles as a regular old economy ticket that is many times less. What the heck?!

Does it make any sense at all to just sign up for Singapore's millage program instead? A little bummed...
It makes more sense, if you really want more miles to get the flights on UA or LH.
Old May 17, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: UA-Gold, BA-Gold
Alternately, you could sign up for an Aegean Airlines account, and credit the SQ flights there. They should give 125% for SQ D-fare, and you might earn enough miles for their star-gold level. Check out the FAQ here
Old May 17, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
It takes more miles to redeem award ticket using KrisFlyer miles than MP miles

Yes, crediting flight on D fare gets 125% KrisFlyer miles rather than 100% on MP. But a business class award ticket from US East Coast to Singapore costs 170K KF miles compares to 120K MP miles. The 25% bonus does not cover the additional miles require to redeem KF.

Unless you are set on getting a business or first class award ticket on SQ's B777W or A380 eventually, you'd be better off with crediting it MP.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by 787fan
That's the ONLY thing krisflyer is good for - SQ's own F and J on long hauls ... for any other type of aspirational award, stick with UA miles
Precisely. Challenge obviously not accepted. Why even bother?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:56 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Robert N
i have always wondered, what does PPS get you/
PPS is a joke and only F or C spend counts. The key benefits of PPS:

Guaranteed seat in Y
Priority Reservation Waitlist
Priority Check-in
Increased luggage allowance
Lounge access [no F lounge if you are not in F]
25% bonus KrisFlyer miles

Free 2x a year PPS magazine
Reduced KF fees
Worldwide Emergency Assistance
Special Phone #

Solitaire requires $250K SGD within 5 years, and yet that program is even more laughable. The only big difference is access to F lounge irregardless of cabin of travel on SQ.

You get the picture, it is the worst high spend program out there.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by golfingboy
PPS is a joke and only F or C spend counts. The key benefits of PPS:

Guaranteed seat in Y
Priority Reservation Waitlist
Priority Check-in
Increased luggage allowance
Lounge access [no F lounge if you are not in F]
25% bonus KrisFlyer miles

Free 2x a year PPS magazine
Reduced KF fees
Worldwide Emergency Assistance
Special Phone #

Solitaire requires $250K SGD within 5 years, and yet that program is even more laughable. The only big difference is access to F lounge irregardless of cabin of travel on SQ.

You get the picture, it is the worst high spend program out there.
Wow. I suddenly feel much better about 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.