Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Miles on Singapore Business

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2013, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

United Miles on Singapore Business

My employer is flying me business class (D) to Asia on Singapore for several thousand dollars each way. Getting close to United Silver status, I was excited for the business class acceleration of miles and status.

However, much to my surprise, a Singapore business D ticket accumulates the same amount of miles and status miles as a regular old economy ticket that is many times less. What the heck?!

Does it make any sense at all to just sign up for Singapore's millage program instead? A little bummed...
Old May 16, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
NO, It makes no sense to sign up for SQ's Kris Flyer, unless you plan to fly them very frequently.

Long haul flight or regional?

Their milage redemption is much higher than UA, you don't get much as far as benefits go as a silver or gold, they have a propram called PPS, which the status is based on $$ spent of qualifing fares, 25K (per year) Sing gets you to their first level and 50K sing gets you to their top level. Again, not much as far as over the top benefits based on dollars spent

Take your UA miles, enjoy the SQ biz class and enjoy teh flight
Old May 16, 2013, 6:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
Take your UA miles, enjoy the SQ biz class and enjoy the flight
+1

Note also that D is apparently a discount business fare on Singapore, equivalent to a Z or P on UA. The higher business fare classes do earn a slight premium (125% RDM).
Old May 16, 2013, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, guys. Yep, long haul from SFO-ICN-SIN-HAN on D "discount" (some discount) class.

I'll enjoy the flight and take the 100% UA miles knowing in my heart I deserve more.

Thanks again!
Old May 16, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: United 1k
i have always wondered, what does PPS get you/
Old May 16, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dval44
I'll enjoy the flight and take the 100% UA miles knowing in my heart I deserve more.
Your employer is paying and you "deserve more" than J on Singapore long haul?
Old May 16, 2013, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Don't forget that UA miles aren't redeemable for quality SQ awards (F or J on anything even remotely new, much less a380 suites), so if that is something you'd like to do, having KF is a must and this is a chance to get some miles (plus any bonus SQ gives for D fares) in that account without having to transfer from Starwood or AMEX
Old May 16, 2013, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Don't forget that UA miles aren't redeemable for quality SQ awards (F or J on anything even remotely new, much less a380 suites), so if that is something you'd like to do, having KF is a must and this is a chance to get some miles (plus any bonus SQ gives for D fares) in that account without having to transfer from Starwood or AMEX
Ummm, I just booked two round trip J tickets, on SQ, PVG DPS with UA miles (Their lowest milage requirement too), during Chinese New Year for 2014, so it is not that difficult, but I guess it depends on where you are going and how far out you plan.

KF would have been double the milage requirements. Unless you live in Asia and fly SQ religously, their program sucks
Old May 16, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
We've got 2 SQ legs on a J award that also includes NH, UA, and OZ legs later this year. Saver level too. We don't seem to be able to get the TPAC legs on SQ anymore, but we can get intra-Asia legs without too much trouble.
Old May 16, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SQ regional J is very different from their long haul service.

The good news is that either gets you into the Silver Kris lounge rather than the *Gold lounge at SIN.
Old May 16, 2013, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy
Ummm, I just booked two round trip J tickets, on SQ, PVG DPS with UA miles (Their lowest milage requirement too), during Chinese New Year for 2014, so it is not that difficult, but I guess it depends on where you are going and how far out you plan.

KF would have been double the milage requirements. Unless you live in Asia and fly SQ religously, their program sucks
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SQ regional J is very different from their long haul service.

The good news is that either gets you into the Silver Kris lounge rather than the *Gold lounge at SIN.
Sorry I should've been more explicit, when I was including regional J when I said "anything even remotely new," though I am aware there is some new regional business available to book. My point was just if you want to fly SQ on one of their premier routes in F or J on one of their premier planes you have to have KF so if that is something the OP is interested in long-term it's at least worth considering in this situation
Old May 16, 2013, 9:50 pm

Sorry I should've been more explicit, when I was including regional J when I said "anything even remotely new," though I am aware there is some new regional business available to book. My point was just if you want to fly SQ on one of their premier routes in F or J on one of their premier planes you have to have KF so if that is something the OP is interested in long-term it's at least worth considering in this situation
based on that clarrification, agreed
Old May 17, 2013, 1:12 am

Considering the reward levels (160,000 miles RT business saver), a single TPAC in D on Singapore is barely even a drop in the bucket. If someone wants to earn an aspirational award on SQ, Starwood and/or AMEX are the way to go.
Old May 17, 2013, 1:47 am

Krisflyer miles are one of the lousiest currencies out there. High fuel surcharges, and more miles required for redemption compared to UA. At least, on UA miles, one can easily check out (and redeem) good F flights on NH/OZ/LH/TG without fuel surcharges! Try doing that with KF miles...
Old May 17, 2013, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sporadic
Krisflyer miles are one of the lousiest currencies out there. High fuel surcharges, and more miles required for redemption compared to UA. At least, on UA miles, one can easily check out (and redeem) good F flights on NH/OZ/LH/TG without fuel surcharges! Try doing that with KF miles...
On the other hand, I challenge you to try booking a three-cabin SQ F award in 2013 with any award currency other than KrisFlyer miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.