Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 23, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SteveHK
This WikiPost is for collecting useful "GG codes" that can be accessed by United employees to get the official policy on various issues.

In an ideal world, we would be able to get the entire output associated with the entire set of GG codes, akin to the listing of the old pmUA S* codes on the FlyerGuide wiki. Unfortunately, it sounds like the airlines might be a bit more protective of the actual text of these policies these days, so we might have to settle for useful line numbers to reference.

The initial text below comes from a post on the pmCO FAQ, and I'll incorporate any suggestions here.

What is a GG code?

GG stands for 'Go Get', and is the beginning of just about every useful command that United agents can enter on their systems to get information or otherwise learn something about the way that United's policies actually work. Generally there is a GG code and also a line number for the specific details of whatever rule or policy is in question.

How can I use GG codes?

You can refer to GG codes when United agents seen confused or misinformed about a particular United policy or procedure. Remember, though, to be sensitive to the fact that you're dealing with a human being on the other side of the phone/counter. Unless you're making a very unusual request, let the agent try to get things figured out on his/her own rather than immediately spouting GG this and GG that. If you do end up referencing a code, do it in a nice, helpful way, such as: "Sometimes I've encountered agents who aren't aware of this policy, so that's totally understandable. Perhaps it would help to take a look at GG ABC?"

Remember also that any of these policies might change at any time. If the agent tells you that the policy or line you're referencing is not coming up, it could very well be that the policy has changed. In that case, accept what has happened, and come back to FT to discuss.

Specific GG Code Descriptions

GG SDC, line 128 - Explains the same-day change policy with respect to connecting passengers being permitted to change to an earlier flight for free at the connection point.

GG CHECKPOINT, line 65 - Are you a United Club member? Need a gate pass to get to a lounge on a day you aren't flying? This is your salvation.

GG BUYUP - Did you buy a low fare class ticket? Want to buy up to a higher fare class to ensure an upgrade (e.g. Y/B/M or even a true F fare)? Call in to the reservations line and feed them this little ditty and you'll be on your way without having to pay the change fee on your ticket; you'll only pay the fare difference. Sitting in first class has never been easier. [STILL IN FORCE POST-MERGER?] Per SHARES, applies to front cabin only. Can be booked to Y/B/M by the appropriate Premier level member on CPU markets only (with the instant upgrade intent).
Appears so Buy up to higher fare class w/o change fee?

GG CHASE / GG UP CODE -- Credit card customers upgrades on awards

GG OVS DOWNGRADE - What do you mean my upgrade has been revoked? Don't you know who I am? No? Oh, well. Do I at least get some compensation for my troubles? Are you certain that I should just be happy you didn't leave me sitting on the curb? Please read GG OVS DOWNGRADE or Customer Service Bulletin C08-40 dated June 20, 2008 and process my ETC now. No, really, I mean it. And if you have a bulkhead, exit row or something that doesn't require a stink shield that would be nice.

GG AMENITIES
Lines 113-114 - Ugghhh....this flight is ridiculously delayed and there is no way I'm going to make my connection. There must be some way you can route me on another carrier. We're at 2 hours late already. OK, not just any carrier, but at least one of your Star Alliance partners, right? Certainly now that the flight is 4 hours late other carriers could be tried?? Seriously, though, the contents of this GG code are a recommendation, not a requirement and not all agents will want to play nice. But hopefully one will, especially if you can help them in finding available seats.

Lines 89-102, 121-130 - These define the different sorts of amenities to which passengers are entitled in particular IRROPS situations. Line 89 to 102 outlines benefits for Controllable (MX) and Uncontrollable (WX, ATC) reasons. Line 121 to 130 outlines the definitions of "All Amenities" that are entitled coupled with "Limited Amenities". On the common issue of hotel vouchers for 1K/GS's experiencing WX/ATC delays: refer to line 98; line 121 defines what you are entitled to which includes a hotel voucher for WX and ATC delays.
GG ONESTANDBY, lines 85-89 - If you've booked a reward flight using the "Plan B" system to get a big comfy seat where only a small, hard seat exists in inventory this code will be most useful to you. It helps the BF conceirge to understand that you are a displaced BF customer rather than another leech trying to scam your way into the front cabin. More details (and another potentially useful GG code) can be found in CO FAQ post 25.

GG ___PSS - Each station has a GG profile they can create to reference some of their commonly referenced or used commands. For example, an agent at LAX who didn't know how to process a Day of Departure upgrade for a companion referenced GG LAXPSS for the SHARES keystrokes. (The first three letters are the airport code.)

GG STOPOVER - This contains language defining a stopover that is essentially the same as what is in the Contract of Carriage (see this thread). It is basically first flight with availability to continue to your destination and if you delay at the connection point over 4 hours and there was the possibility to continue on that constitutes a stopover.

GG COTERMINAL - This lists coterminal airports (for purposes of fare construction).

GG STANDBY - Seems like it may contain some of the old language from S*FAR Standby that permitted standby with changes among same-city (not mere coterminal) airports (JFK/LGA, IAD/DCA, ORD/MDW).

GG FUTILE TRIP --- Trip in Vain processing

Originally Posted by CleUnited
GG SOS was our main Systems Operations Scheduling that would show hub forecasts plus any item ( weather or hotel shortage or high forecasts for non hub stations like when SXSW or the Disabled Veterans Snowsports Clinic happen at a downline station.) that may have a significant impact. The weather forecast has since moved internally but the hotel availability and heavy load factors still get updates. Starting at the front of that line code, it reads "A message from the Customer Resolutions Center, an advisary of 'Due to high demands in the market with significant events scheduled in the Washington -Dulles area, there is a High possibilty of hotel shortage, both controlable and uncontrolable demand may be extremely limited. Please advise passengers if there is a possibility of misconnect . Reroute as best as possible to avoid impact.'" ....
GG FLAT TIRE
FLAT TIRE RULE:

CUSTOMERS CONTACTING UNITED WITHIN 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OR 2 HOURS AFTER DEPARTURE MAY BE REBOOKED AT NO CHARGE ON UA/UAX FLIGHTS. ALL SEGMENTS OPERATED BY OA SHOULD ONLY BE REBOOKED BY THE OPERATING CARRIER AS THEY MAY BE SUBJECT TO ADDITIONAL FEES
GG Code Full Texts

pmCO Deprecated GG Codes

GG REVUP - This is the bit of CO's policy that explains the REVUP cash-based upgrades for flights between Hawaii and the mainland that are marketed with BusinessFirst service (currently EWR/IAH-HNL). More details can be found in FAQ post 39.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Post GG Code (United Internal Policies) Master List

(Text moved to WikiPost)

Last edited by mgcsinc; Apr 23, 2013 at 6:52 pm
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
No one really knows what "GG" stands for (at least no one on FlyerTalk seems to)
From http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14093327-post5.html:

Originally Posted by xzh445
Yep.....DRS= Direct Reference System
Houses all of the info for the "GG" entries. in this case GG IAH Alert
GG stands for GoGet and came from the Eastern "Genie" system. Continental's original syntax was G\ ie G\IAH\ALERT
From http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11914161-post9.html:

Originally Posted by flyzabit
The "GG" shortcuts were added (and linked to the original structures) in the late 1980s from the original "Direct Reference System (DRS) (think user manual with index) of hierarchical directories and pages in the original mainframe (IBM-built?) system and "Shares"-based systems. "G" is the top node. The next level in the directory tree was noted by 3 letters, divided by a slash between levels. So, G/PRO would be for Procedures (Pro), with further subdivisions for each type, e.g., Baggage, at G/PRO/BAG, and so forth to lower levels (originally 4 or so). (In Old Sabre, this was a "Y", not "G".)
The shortcut introduced, from the Eastern System One / TWA WorldSpan-type updates era meant a better way to quickly remember, without knowing the whole tree structure: GG BAGGAGE. It is now in Amadeus systems.

This is not unique, but true in several of the related airline systems' CRS (Computer Reservation Systems) of the era. It still underlies these systems today. Datas II (Delta) especially, and Sabre (AA) / Galileo / from Apollo (UA) went in some different directions as databases and reference systems matured, and now it is more searchable, too. The newer GUI-friendly front ends take this away from the agents, but the airports still tend to have access to this.

You can find short course / reference manuals / comparison sheets (e.g., Sabre / Worldspan as old history to give a background) for basic PNR entries and systems out there. A quickie for hotels is http://www.hedna.org/pdf/gds_2006_final.pdf

GG REVUP is probably the page for "Revenue (Psgr) Upgrades" policy and procedures for agents.
Indeed, on page 4 of http://www.hedna.org/pdf/gds_2006_final.pdf we can see an Amadeus command starting with "GG".
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum

I don't know how I feel about this thread. On one hand it's completely ridiculous that we have to compile a list of SHARES commands because UA can't adequately train their employees on general policies and procedures then on the other hand these are internal policies which one UA isn't going to publish a list publicly and secondly they are subject to change. It's a can of worms waiting to happen because I can see a passenger spitting out SHARES commands and a GA standing down because they think that someone is basically telling them how to do their job.

Case in point I happen to be a former CO employee that happens to have a SHARES handbook and keep it handy when I have to deal with employees that don't have a clue about the system. My experience has been mixed where some agents appreciate the assistance and other times where they feel intimidated.

All I'm saying is this might be an opportunity for UA to step up to the plate and offer a way for quick resolution on some of the issues we keep running into instead of piecemealing half known internal policies that are subject to change
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by qukslvr619
I don't know how I feel about this thread. On one hand it's completely ridiculous that we have to compile a list of SHARES commands because UA can't adequately train their employees on general policies and procedures then on the other hand these are internal policies which one UA isn't going to publish a list publicly and secondly they are subject to change. It's a can of worms waiting to happen because I can see a passenger spitting out SHARES commands and a GA standing down because they think that someone is basically telling them how to do their job.

Case in point I happen to be a former CO employee that happens to have a SHARES handbook and keep it handy when I have to deal with employees that don't have a clue about the system. My experience has been mixed where some agents appreciate the assistance and other times where they feel intimidated.

All I'm saying is this might be an opportunity for UA to step up to the plate and offer a way for quick resolution on some of the issues we keep running into instead of piecemealing half known internal policies that are subject to change
It would be great to have the codes in one place. I have used "GG Checkpoint Line 53" enough to know that some agents just aren't going to know all the commands, particularly the rarely requested ones like this one.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Are we sure that GG ONESTANDBY, lines 85-89 are gone?
Source?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

[mine]

No disagreement here, but the fact of the matter is that we are >1 year out from the merger and we are still encountering "computer says no" issues. It is clear that either front line training isn't a UA internal priority, or that for some GA/CSRs learning these commands isn't a priority. Thus, for those of us who spend a ton of time in airports, having a list of helpful hints at our disposal to make our lives mildly less miserable is basically a necessity.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:09 am

From your post, this is what I found most interesting: "have a SHARES handbook and keep it handy when I have to deal with employees that don't have a clue about the system."

My question to you, then, is simple. If you, as a former CO employee, find that the service is so bad that you have to pull out a SHARES manual to get things done because the employees you encounter are either too lazy or too incompetent to do what they are supposed to do, and the only way you can succeed is to force them by reading GG codes to them, then why shouldn't we have the same benefit?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Thanks for this! I had copied the info from the CO FAQ, but I've now updated this above.

I see your point (and also the points of others who've responded). I've added some text that hopefully might help allay your concerns -- let me know what you think!

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Are we sure that GG ONESTANDBY, lines 85-89 are gone?
Source?
Not sure at all. This was based on my not knowing about the "Plan B" procedure that is referenced. Is that still something that's doable post-merger?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The initial text below comes from a post on the pmCO FAQ, and I'll incorporate any suggestions here.
Why not just keep using the FAQ?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Why not just keep using the FAQ?
I had a few reasons in mind: (1) the FAQ is not being maintained; (2) it seems like things should ideally be transitioned out of the CO FAQ into posts here, as going to the CO FAQ is not likely to be something people think to do; and (3) if this becomes a WikiPost, which I hope it will, then everyone will someday be able to edit it.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mitchmu
From your post, this is what I found most interesting: "have a SHARES handbook and keep it handy when I have to deal with employees that don't have a clue about the system."

My question to you, then, is simple. If you, as a former CO employee, find that the service is so bad that you have to pull out a SHARES manual to get things done because the employees you encounter are either too lazy or too incompetent to do what they are supposed to do, and the only way you can succeed is to force them by reading GG codes to them, then why shouldn't we have the same benefit?
Well its one thing to have a book of how to modify PNR's, and another to have a compiled list of policies that are subject to change. Granted I don't fault anyone for this effort, I just know that even with the book I have limited success in trying to get things done in light of the fact that I have more information than many of the employees. Which brings to light the saddest fact of the new UA....the flying public has more information than its own employees. For instance I could call in and discuss a schedule change in which the equip goes from a 2-class 777 to a 3-class to change from Business to First, trying to cash in more miles and the agent wouldn't understand what I am trying to do insisting that the aircraft is only sold as Business and Coach. So that either means there is a breakdown in how UA is training its employees and distributing updates, or the employees don't care to learn.

But then again Jeff would like to have everyone believe that the merger has been a success and the small hiccups that they encountered have been fixed.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Not sure at all. This was based on my not knowing about the "Plan B" procedure that is referenced. Is that still something that's doable post-merger?
As of the last time I tried, yes.
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/23569
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
As of the last time I tried, yes.
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/23569
Great, thanks for letting me know. I've fixed it above.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
I think GG REACCOM should be noted. It details what can be done for pax during irrops. More details here.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I believe each station has a GG profile they can create to reference some of their commonly referenced or used commands. For example, an agent at LAX didn't know how to process a Day of Departure upgrade for my companion (who was on my PNR the was split off) and they referenced GG LAXPSS for the SHARES keystrokes. I was told at another station that those ***PSS profiles were created individually by each station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.