Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How does UA expect to compete with 2-4-2 Business Class configurations for 777s?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How does UA expect to compete with 2-4-2 Business Class configurations for 777s?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by craz
actually if I could chose between the 2-3-2 or 2-4-2 planes it would be the 2-4-2 Hands Down!

Why simple 2-3-2 plane is 55x20.5 for the Biz seat, the 2-4-2 plane is 77x23.PLUS the 2-3-2 are recliner seats (old planes with 2-5-2 in Y) while the 2-4-2 are Lie-flats

so your question should be how does UA expect to sell the 2-3-2 Biz class when its not lie-flats, smaller seat and no AVOD like the 2-4-2 has. The 2-4-2 are the new configs with 3-3-3- in Y
Thanks for that. I guess I have a hard time understanding how you can add an additional seat in a row and end up being more spacious.

I looked at the seatguru map and it shows the aisles don't line up which maybe I could see how they get the space.

I was using the UNITED map and the seats are lined up so I can't see where the space would come from.

Since this is a daytime flight and I am not interested in the lie flat, spaciousness is what is important to me and of course it is nice not to have to climb over people when you are paying for Business.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Joke Business Class on 777

Actually I would rather see the more seats available then less.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:37 pm

Everything about the PMUA J seat is mediocre. I like the PMCO/current BusinessFirst seats, however. ^
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Spacious -- potentially means different things to different people. Such as
-- seat width
-- seat length (as a bed)
-- foot well size
-- spacing between seats
-- ease of access to aisle
-- sense of personal space / privacy / visual line of sight
-- .... {and most probably have additional factors}

as has been discussed (numerous times) the sCO and sUA seats are different and neither is superior in all of the, for all the seats in business, ... There is no simple single answer for everyone.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Spacious -- potentially means different things to different people. Such as
-- seat width
-- seat length (as a bed)
-- foot well size
-- spacing between seats
-- ease of access to aisle
-- sense of personal space / privacy / visual line of sight
-- .... {and most probably have additional factors}

as has been discussed (numerous times) the sCO and sUA seats are different and neither is superior in all of the, for all the seats in business, ... There is no simple single answer for everyone.
^
Old Mar 20, 2013, 10:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX88
Everything about the PMUA J seat is mediocre. I like the PMCO/current BusinessFirst seats, however. ^
How about the IFE software?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If the OP thinks those 2-4-2 seats on the 777 are bad, just wait until they board that NRT SEA flight with the ancient 2-3-2 C cabin and the postage-stamp entertainment screens....they'll really be thrilled.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:36 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
How about the IFE software?
The IFE interface on the sCO planes (those with on-demand systems) is the original Continental Airlines system updated with new UNITED splash screens and logos.

And they're terrible.

I can't call up the air show AND listen to music at the same time, like how I can on the sUA interface? The navigation on those things are also time consuming and clunky.

Time for the airline to upgrade them to something much more user friendly.

As for sUA vs sCO BusinessFirst seats, the sCO's narrow foot wells are definitely a downside. The location of the headphone jack isn't ideal for me either, and the seat controls don't give you much of a choice on repositioning your leg rest to your desired spot. And the airbag attached the seat belt can be an impediment too.

The sUA seat gives you less storage space, and yes, having experienced the middle seats in the 2-4-2 configuration, it can be really awkward rubbing knees with the lady reclined in the seat next to you.

For me, service is more important than the seat. I only recently sat up front on a sCO International flight and I couldn't believe how badly the BF pax were spoiled by the flight attendants. I think the bread basket came by at least a dozen times during the meal service!

I had to check the ticket stub to make sure I was actually on United!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
The PMUA 2-4-2 have more seat/bed space than

PMCO 2-2-2
NH staggered
DL Herringbone
AC
TG (new or old)
CX

While the seats look cramped and lack privacy, if you're tall or wide they give you more room and are more comfortable than just about any other biz seat out there.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TravelBeat
The IFE interface on the sCO planes (those with on-demand systems) is the original Continental Airlines system updated with new UNITED splash screens and logos.

And they're terrible.

I can't call up the air show AND listen to music at the same time, like how I can on the sUA interface? The navigation on those things are also time consuming and clunky.

Time for the airline to upgrade them to something much more user friendly.

As for sUA vs sCO BusinessFirst seats, the sCO's narrow foot wells are definitely a downside. The location of the headphone jack isn't ideal for me either, and the seat controls don't give you much of a choice on repositioning your leg rest to your desired spot. And the airbag attached the seat belt can be an impediment too.

The sUA seat gives you less storage space, and yes, having experienced the middle seats in the 2-4-2 configuration, it can be really awkward rubbing knees with the lady reclined in the seat next to you.

For me, service is more important than the seat. I only recently sat up front on a sCO International flight and I couldn't believe how badly the BF pax were spoiled by the flight attendants. I think the bread basket came by at least a dozen times during the meal service!

I had to check the ticket stub to make sure I was actually on United!
I have to admit I just don't care about those IFE"s. I have my IPAD with everything I want to watch instead of some dated stuff the airlines pay peanuts for.

Glad to hear you had some good service in Business. My last trip unfortunately I was in Economy and we never saw an FA for hours on end and if you rang the bell for something to drink , you got a dirty scowl.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The PMUA 2-4-2 isn't that bad. Its less private, but unless you're in F, or on a private plane, you're going to exist with other people. Being in the middle of the 4 is the same as being in a window, inconvenience wise.

The PMUA seats are more comfortable to me than the CO ones, and the IFE is much better.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by kapkap46
Can anyone tell me how UA thinks that a configuration of 2-4-2 on a 777 can be considered Business Class. They tried to switch me off of ANA from BKK - NRT

when Dreamliner flight was cancelled to SEA and put me on a UA flight out of BKK with this configuration.
If you know what NH offers for BKK-NRT, I think you would choose UA 2-4-2 instead of NH.

NH flies 763 for BKK-NRT, even though it is 2-1-2 config in C, but the seat is horrible, and there is not much to see with the PTV (unless you are Japanese, as there are tons of Japanese programs, but it doesn't even have any English subtitles)
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:38 am

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I guess it is all relative. For me the 2-4-2 lie-flat seats are wonderful compared to coach. 15 hours in coach is a HORRIBLE experience (especially if you do it a lot) where 15 hours in these business seats is a pleasure.

I agree it would be nice if they were wider and more-private, especially for the $10-20K they charge.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:00 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by 5khours
The PMUA 2-4-2 have more seat/bed space than

PMCO 2-2-2
NH staggered
DL Herringbone
AC
TG (new or old)
CX
Sorry to spoil the fun, but you may not know about CX's new Business class seat.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 4:08 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by bldr1k
I guess it is all relative. For me the 2-4-2 lie-flat seats are wonderful compared to coach. 15 hours in coach is a HORRIBLE experience (especially if you do it a lot) where 15 hours in these business seats is a pleasure.

I agree it would be nice if they were wider and more-private, especially for the $10-20K they charge.
Who pays $10 - $20k for a business class seat, especially on UA? Are you buying a ticket to fly tonight? You can buy F tickets in that price range and have plenty of privacy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.