Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Possible to get boarding pass from unrelated airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver

I have an upcoming trip KHH-HKG-PVG (CX) connecting to a separate ticket for UA PVG-LAX-EWR

I have a 4hr layover at PVG, with no checked baggage. It is possible to check in and pick up my boarding pass for UA in HKG instead of PVG so I can just do an int'l transfer at PVG?

I've never had luck with any airports in Asia accepting mobile/paper boarding passes...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 8:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is technically possible. And with the UClub in HKG you stand a better than even chance of it actually working.

Good luck.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 9:03 am

The one and only time I tried to do this at HKG, the UC agent said that I had to get the BP from the gate.

I'll try again this week and let you know though.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Can't speak for PVG, but in PEK you can get a "boarding pass" from the transfer desk as soon as you deplane.

When I did this a few months ago the "boarding pass" was actually hand-written details on an actual UA boarding pass, but it was good enough to get me through as far as the gate when a real boarding pass was issued.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
During IRROPS in NYC a couple months ago the great agents at the terrible A1A gate at LGA printed out a new BP for me for a flight ex-EWR. So, it's definitely possible.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I have had mixed success with this, with slightly more successes than failures.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Mixed success for me as well. But you can usually do an international transfer without a BP by just bringing a printed copy of your ongoing itinerary.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
It's possible at every UA station for an agent to check you in and print a BP for another station, however some international airports may have specific requirements that restrict BP issuance to that location only. This should never be an issue with a US domestic airport unless the agent has no idea what they're doing.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by edcho
The one and only time I tried to do this at HKG, the UC agent said that I had to get the BP from the gate.

I'll try again this week and let you know though.
I haven't had much luck with the UC in HKG for things like that either. Never tried this specifically, but whenever I've asked about flights/seat changes they've always told me I had to go to the gate.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Yes, I've gotten BPs at other airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.