Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Domestic pricing is $10 non-members, $8 MileagePlus member and with 25% discount using Chase MP card to pay for each domestic segment. No longer offering day pass but monthly and annual subscription packages exists,
International segments tend to run between $20-$35 but occasionally less.
T-Mobile Magenta+Magenta Plus Offering Free On Board Wifi on US Airlines...
Free in-flight messaging coming (FB Messenger, Apple iMessage, WhatsApp)

Due to the nature of the satellite system, high latency is to be expected when using the system.

All mainline aurcraft have Internet access and the larger UX (non-50 seaters) have GoGo wifi

And here's the overview from united.com.

Subscriptions are now offered which allow for unlimited wifi on flights

Thread Archive: Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2023, 1:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Had a recent flight SFO to KOA (hawii), the 757-300 had most likely a Panasonic system.. registration, authentication and performance was very poor..not really worth even the $6 fee (MP and UA credit card) since it was so frustrating to get anything done.....
What were you trying to do-- email, web surfing, ...
...We can’t get something like STARLINK or a better alternate soon enough.
None are here yet for WW service
Old May 8, 2023, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What were you trying to do-- email, web surfing, ...
None are here yet for WW service
email and some stock trading, plus loading some apps, CNBC and BLOOMBERG, wouldn’t load at all. Tried to VPN as well, didn’t work.

As for STARLINK, I thought someone maybe it was Hawaiian signed up I think more than a year ago to use it fleetwide, not sure how the progress has been.
Old May 8, 2023, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
email and some stock trading, plus loading some apps, CNBC and BLOOMBERG, wouldn’t load at all. Tried to VPN as well, didn’t work.

As for STARLINK, I thought someone maybe it was Hawaiian signed up I think more than a year ago to use it fleetwide, not sure how the progress has been.
Hawaiian did ink a deal with Starlink. They'll likely have the best in-flight Wifi experience. The ViaSat and Panasonic satellites operate at much higher altitudes and will have higher latency.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 8, 2023, 3:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
email and some stock trading, plus loading some apps, CNBC and BLOOMBERG, wouldn’t load at all. Tried to VPN as well, didn’t work. ...
realtime apps are pushing the capabilities for the older panasonic system as UA notes. streaming like operation is not supported presently.

Don't beleive it is worldwide yet, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starli...val_by_country

The European ViaSAT is in orbit, not yet operational and the Asia ViaSat is scheduled for last 2023/early 2024. UA has not announced the replacement plans for Panasonic ViaSAT3 allows full streaming
Old May 9, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
realtime apps are pushing the capabilities for the older panasonic system as UA notes. streaming like operation is not supported presently.

For apps like CNBC and Bloomberg, I was really just hoping to load some article content, nothing real time needed.. WSJ loaded fine, its has yes delayed ticker info. Trading apps loaded, but execution was of course spotty. When I had put on several options trades, I hadn’t planned to be on a plane at the time. ;-)
Old Jun 4, 2023, 11:54 pm

Smile Wifi cost from IAD to LHR

I would like to have Wi-Fi on my upcoming United flights. Here is my schedule:
June 9: BNA to IAD and then on to LHR
June 23: CDG to EWR and then on to MEM

Would it be better to buy a monthly global Wi-Fi subscription at $69? I also have a United Explorer card, so I can get 25% off. Or would it be better to wait until I'm on the plane to purchase?

How well does Wi-Fi work on my route?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 2:25 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
It doesn't matter how much you pay, the Wifi will be basically useless.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 2:28 am

Programs: Chase and American Express
On my lhr to lax flight they had free wifi for tmobile users. I entered my cousins phone number and it worked.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 5:27 am

Programs: United, Southwest
I am taking that same route - BNA - IAD - FRA in December. Can you let me know what plane you get for the BNA - IAD? I avoid flying UA out of BNA because they had been using the tiny Embraer jets with really squishy seats and 3 out of 4 times, they were late for one reason or another. I never sign up for wifi . . I like being unconnected . . good luck!
Old Jun 5, 2023, 7:24 am

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
Agree

Originally Posted by 1P
It doesn't matter how much you pay, the Wifi will be basically useless.
I have found the UA (Panasonic) transatlantic wifi to be useless for anything other than text.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 9:20 am

Programs: Marriott TE, WoH G, MGM G, Hilton G, Caesars D, Wyndham D
Originally Posted by boogierum

Would it be better to buy a monthly global Wi-Fi subscription at $69? I also have a United Explorer card, so I can get 25% off. Or would it be better to wait until I'm on the plane to purchase?

that depends… do you have T-Mobile Amplified or above? (Free onboard Wi-Fi)

also, May not be worth purchasing a subscription depending on if the Wi-Fi is provided by Thales, Panasonic, or go-go. If it’s Panasonic you’re good. Thales and go go (correct me if I’m wrong) don’t work over the oceans so you may be paying for nothing. (I may have mixed up Thales and Panasonic)

IMO, purchase by route. Reason being is, what if the Wi-Fi sucks or you don’t have connection over the ocean, then you can always get a full refund.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by WheelsUpGal
I am taking that same route - BNA - IAD - FRA in December. Can you let me know what plane you get for the BNA - IAD? I avoid flying UA out of BNA because they had been using the tiny Embraer jets with really squishy seats and 3 out of 4 times, they were late for one reason or another. I never sign up for wifi . . I like being unconnected . . good luck!
I will be flying an AIRBUS A319 from Nashville to DC and then a BOEING 777 from DC to London.

I purchased it on-board United the last time I flew international in 2019, going from Newark to Hong Kong, and it worked fine. Have things changed post-pandemic?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 5, 2023 at 11:20 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 5, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: Marriott TE, WoH G, MGM G, Hilton G, Caesars D, Wyndham D
I purchased it on-board United the last time I flew international in 2019, going from Newark to Hong Kong, and it worked fine. Have things changed post-pandemic?
a lot has changed between then and now
- t mobile amplified and above get free Wi-Fi on most flights
- free web based messaging on all flights
- not as expensive as it used to be
- more stable
Old Jun 5, 2023, 10:40 am

I believe the 25% off is if you purchase while in-flight, so if you want the 25%, you'll have to wait til your first flight and hope it works right away (which it normally does).

I flew both routes you're taking earlier this year. Just checked my CC statement: IAD-LHR was $27.99. CDG-EWR was $21.99. I've started just purchasing by individual leg. 1.) The price after 25% off works out similar to the subscription for my needs; 2.) It's annoying when you have a subscription then magically get a plane with wifi that is unavailable; and 3.) You can reach out for a refund after each leg if it doesn't work.
Travelpro85 and boogierum like this.
Old Jun 5, 2023, 10:55 am

Thanks, zeus2120. Your response answers my question. I'm going to wait to purchase in-flight.
zeus2120 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.