Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 21, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aacharya
Source: https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

Pre-Boarding
  • Customers with Disabilities
  • Global Services
  • Uniformed Military Personnel
  • Families with Children Age Two and Under

Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, BusinessFirst, and First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver*, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

*A Star Alliance Silver who is not a Premier Silver is not eligible for Premier Access boarding.

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Aisle Seats

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:19 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
It's been a while since UA tinkered with the boarding process; for a while there, it seemed like they were making wholesale changes every week.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by dnwaldmann
For crying out loud, on Southwest you have to board in exact person-by-person order or you get called out.
As it should be.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by DelrayChris
As it should be.
I saw this before you edited it. If you think that the WN passengers try to game things more than the people on UA, you are out of your mind.

The current boarding process is in place because UA thinks that it's customers can't handle more than five boarding groups, and want to be placed in stupid lines for hours. As sad as it is, UA seems to be right about that.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
Noob question here - it's probably answered somewhere but I just can't find it. I booked my wife award travel through my account (Premier Silver), and she received the full Premier Access benefits, ticket, luggage tag, etc. I thought it was only when you book for yourself that you receive the benefits - so booking anyone through your account gets your benefits now?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:08 am

Award tickets take the status of the account from which they were booked.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Gunner14
Award tickets take the status of the account from which they were booked.
Correct. Here is the rather lengthy thread about this "benefit." Note that this does not apply to revenue tickets, unless there is also a premier member on the same reservation.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-inherit.html
Old Jul 28, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Originally Posted by NJFlyer42
I am 1K. I was on an RJ last month. They preboarded (nobody). Then called GS and 1K. I was the only one who responded. I figured that they knew there were no GS's and threw me a bone.

Usually I fly elite heavy flights and am in the massive Group 1.
I, for one, will be glad when they go back to "Now boarding GS & 1K". I'm tired of boarding in "Group 1".
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by fastfxr
I, for one, will be glad when they go back to "Now boarding GS & 1K". I'm tired of boarding in "Group 1".
And you'll hear the GS complain that, "Hey, if you want pre-boarding with GS, meet GS quals!"

Just like 1K's are currently up in arms about lowly Plats clogging group 1.

Just like Golds complain about being clogged up in group 2 with Silvers and credit card holders.

And so on down the line.

Truly a case of not being able to make everyone happy.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
And you'll hear the GS complain that, "Hey, if you want pre-boarding with GS, meet GS quals!"

Just like 1K's are currently up in arms about lowly Plats clogging group 1.

Just like Golds complain about being clogged up in group 2 with Silvers and credit card holders.

And so on down the line.

Truly a case of not being able to make everyone happy.
You can easily make everyone happy, and cut many of the line-intruders. Simply call each elite group separately, by name, and start general boarding with the credit card folks as group one.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
You can easily make everyone happy, and cut many of the line-intruders. Simply call each elite group separately, by name, and start general boarding with the credit card folks as group one.
What about first class? They come after elites?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
What about first class? They come after elites?
Throw them in with the 1Ks or something.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Throw them in with the 1Ks or something.
Hey I'm not boarding with those $29 TOD riff-raff!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 9:50 am

start general boarding with the credit card folks as group one.
That's one area where UA has failed to copy DL at....
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dank0014
That's one area where UA has failed to copy DL at....
Group 1 at DL is as misleading as on UA. I flew DL on an award ticket in December and paid to "upgrade" to Economy Comfort which comes with early boarding in Group 1 (unlike Economy Plus on UA which comes with...well...just the seat). I knew enough about the phony airline pecking orders to research where I'd actually fall in it. I think Group ONE was the 3rd group to board.

It's all so silly. Group 1 on UA is behind "those that need extra time," military and GS. Why don't they just make GS into Group 1 and move everyone else down a notch? I know, I know, then the 1K and First Class folks won't feel special enough.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 10:27 am

Disagree. I know many silvers and a couple credit card holders who are very happy to at least be in Group 2 and boarding on par with Golds. Take that away and they will be unhappy. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the group 2 gate lice are actually Silvers and CC holders trying to get ahead. Going to strict status groups will take that away from them.

So maybe upper elites will be happy (or at least less unhappy), but lower elites and credit card holders will likely be less happy with your proposal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.