Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

November 2012 UA ORD DO (Post-Meeting Posts/Discussion/Reports/Etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

To everyone at United, thank you! The DO was a fantastic event and am very grateful to everyone that made it possible and for all the fantastic people I met over the past 2 days.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
No

I played the HR rep... They wanted to hire me ^
I happened to be sitting next to some of the UA people, and HumbleBee went on at such length in his response they said to each other, is this guy trying to apply for a job??? I said hey dude, the injured passengers have recovered & are already home by now!!

A HUGE THANK YOU TO UNITED for organizing & inviting us to this Do!!!

The HQ tour at Willis Tower was in the afternoon (due to waiting for SMD4 arrivals), although registration was in the morning. Since I didn't attend the airport tour or the catering, can't really address those. I did hear that the airport tour people got to drive the de-icers!

* One downside to the Schaumburg hotel location for the SMD4 was it was well, in Schaumburg, which meant both Thurs & Fri we spent 2-1/2 hours round-trip commuting into the city.

When we arrived to HQ, they had United people waiting for us, we had stickers assigned & broken up into groups, had to show id to security to receive badges, and go through metal detector/have our security badges scanned, and then start the tour.

I was on the HQ Tour, which included a # of 'mini-tours' of the Network Ops Center & how all the parts work together: everything from weather to FA & pilot scheduling to maintenance to hotel ops to customer response to cargo loads etc. Hundreds of stations. It definitely looked (and was) state-of-the-art & the employees were pretty stoked about having everything under one roof/on one floor. The desks went up/down (hard to explain) & parts of them were built to absorb sound, as was ceiling & floor, which kept things pretty quiet, especially given how many people were in the room/floor. Pretty neat, especially the "bridge", which was the main control center when things hit the fan/need to be handled.

We then went to Emergency Response room (which yes, had been activated earlier in the day) to learn more about the ER team, components, what they do, and then had us play the parts of the various team members. Our scenario was an ORD-CAN plane hit turbulance & some people were injured, what do they do? We were broken up into teams corresponding to their teams & asked for response (there was a cheat sheet w/ the answers provided; HumbleBee ad libbed for his team before getting to the answer, although his ad libs were spot on).

We then went to the Eco-Skies session, which was interesting but also a bit longer than would hold most FTers attention. UA talked about what they were doing. They had their biotech partner (Solazyme) there to talk about what they're doing. United had the first commercial passenger biofuel flight in the US (derived from microbial algae - Solazyme's technology) in 2011.

I thought it was interesting, but think the 2 presentations were more typical corporate presentations that they probably do to industry people & thus broke the momentum a bit. We received re-usable tote bags w/ United eco-skies on them, & some fliers detailing UA's efforts in this area, as well as eco-pen & baggage tag inside. If anyone wants more info, united.com/eco-skies.

They also had a cookie & a skin care sample for the attendees based on Solazyme's technology that was adapted to other areas. Solazyme had 2 large 'gift bags' of several hundred $$ of their skin care stuff (Algenist; sold by Sephora) that they gave away in a raffle. I didn't win the raffle but the NY Times travel reporter did & due to ethic policies couldn't accept it, so she gave it to me!

We then went to network/route session, which was really interesting. The manager talked about all the things that go into routes, and gave us a bunch of Option A/Option B scenarios. This part we weren't allowed to photograph. I can't even begin to tell you how neat this session was.

We were led in small groups to Smisek's office to have our picture taken individually seated at his desk. No Jeff was not there.

We then got to go up to the Skydeck on top of the Willis Tower (103 floor) to take pictures/admire the view. They have a 'ledge' (ie, clear walls AND floor) that you could stand on. It's quite disorienting to stand on it & look down. Being somewhat afraid of heights I wasn't going to do it, but the NY Times reporter & one of the UA manager convinced me to, but I did what the NYT did, which was back onto it w/o looking around at first but staring straight ahead at the manager, then quick look around & back onto terra firma!

Afterwards, we all were transported to the Hyatt Regency on Wacker for a reception for SMD4/United Do people. This is the first time we were all together. Heck, even some of us who were on the HQ tour, this is the first time we saw each other since the morning when we all arrived.

For those of us who were on the HQ tour, they had a table before the ballroom w/ our pictures in a really nice silver United picture frame from when we were sitting at Jeff's desk. We also received a large United Airlines duffel.

Food & drink was great. United had some poster boards up on the perimeter w/ a bunch of post-its w/ different options that attendees could put up as their preference/was important to them. United had a bunch of managers there to talk to attendees informally over drinks. They had some speeches, and also some contests (in '13) for attendees of SMD4/United Do to earn GS status, points, etc.

Friday morning all of the SMD4/United Do attendees were back at HQ in different sessions (there were 4 sessions in total, and we were in 2 each). I was in the IT e-commerce & Mileage Plus sessions. I think the other 2 were social media & marketing. This was very interactive & based on questions. They told us what they were doing & listened to our input, both good & bad.

Then we went up to the 99th floor where they had chairs set up for a presentation, as well as a set-up afterwards for lunch/take pictures. Scott O'Leary talked for a bit thanking everyone & letting us know that there were 200 United volunteers involved in putting the United Do together ^, as did Mark Bergsud. Mark showed the video of the winning AV geek, and then a montage of the AV geek entries.

Then they had a short (funny) video w/ Smisek that was supposed to be him getting ready to do a video, and then he says the heck w/ this, I can do better - and cue from video to stage where Smisek came out. He talked for a bit, acknowledging some of the challenges, where things are going, and then he said he'd answer questions. First he addressed some of the questions that were asked in the survey of the United Do attendees, ranging from routes for 787 to the boarding process (ie, someone said it's easier to move through Calcutta than board a UA plane!) to the coffee to other things. Then he took 3 questions from the audience. BTW - I was surprised, but Jeff actually has a pretty good sense of humor.

At the end they showed a new United video which was cool, of employees, planes, great music. Then it was lunch time & the close of the United Do.

I know someone was videotaping the entire closing session w/ Smisek & they were going to put it up on YouTube. Once I get a link I'll post it. I also took a bunch of photos during the entire 2 days, so once I get those uploaded I'll post them.

Anyway, I hope this provides some details (at least on the HQ part) for those who were unable to attend.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Nov 17, 2012 at 4:33 pm Reason: fixed a name...
Old Nov 17, 2012, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by unavaca
What's special about the ORD tour and why is everyone clamoring for it?
Because we got to drive the deicing trucks, among other things.

Absolutely incredible experience. UA went all-put putting this together and it was very well done.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:04 am
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by sbm12
Because we got to drive the deicing trucks, among other things.

Absolutely incredible experience. UA went all-put putting this together and it was very well done.
So true. When I sat down to list out the things they let us do at the airport, I still can't believe it. Insane. Very well done.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 9:52 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mommy Points
So true. When I sat down to list out the things they let us do at the airport, I still can't believe it. Insane. Very well done.
So true. I have been describing it to people as Airport Playmobil, but for adults.

A big THANK YOU to everyone at United who made this possible! Truly a world-class affair.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Thanks again to Shannon, Carlos, and everyone at UA that helped put this together.

All of the (many!) employees we met were genuinely enthusiastic to talk with us (for rather long periods of time in some cases), the experience at HQ was fabulous, perhaps excepting the eco-Skies bit, and across the board UA really pulled out all the stops. A great time.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
I did the airport tour, what I like is not about the de-icer truck, or all those equipment outside the hangar.

I like the most is what happen at the gate, get to see the reservation system behind the counter, the people with status, upgrades, etc. Wish I was at C18 or I would definately make the Cantonese annoncement for UA895. I was at C4, still get to see some widebodies not too far, get to see the 787 departing. Even though we were at C4, the guy called Jerry (his vest had a "lead" badge) even walked all of us to C18 and C20 so we could take pictures of the widebodies. Then one of the guy who actually work for the ORD aviation department actually drove all 3 of us in his jeep on a tarmac tour, driving in the middle of the runway chasing down a 320 taking off at 32L, he also show us what kind of planes can park at different areas at the tarmac. After that when we got back to the terminal, Jerry also took us down below ground at ORD to see how the luggages went to different belts for different flights.

After that we got on the shuttles to the UA hangar, and had box lunch in front of a PMUA 757 inside the hangar, I got to hang around the cockpit of the 757, the mechanics explain all the specific and answered all the questions without being rushed like in UA family day at SFO.

I did like the swag they gave out to everyone at the end of the day at C20. UA branded heavy duty duffle bag, UA plane pull tshirt, passport holder and the luggage tag. Heard the inflight and food tour people got a GF amenity kit too.

The PMUA folks at ORD were extremely courteous throughout the entire event, very patient answering all the questions, taking photos for us anytime. ^^^^^

* Downside - The entire event seems like organize for the SMD4 folks more than UA DO people from FT. When we checkin at ORD, all of us got envelopes instead of a blue UA card with FT handle and first name unlike those checkin at Hyatt. None of us got any name tags, no identification, no one knows who we were. I asked Carlos later if I can have one of those printed for me, he just said it is out of ink, nothing can be done, even I told him I wouldn't mind to get one by mail as some kind of sovenir for the event for myself. When the 787 park at C18 before we went to different gates, I asked one of the guy if it is possible to see the 787 inside or even just go down to the tarmac for some photo opportunity. He just said it wasn't on his schedules. I understand SMD4 folks already seen and have dinner in front of the 787 in IAH, but whatabout the FT UA do people ?
When the SMD4 people got off the 787 and go to different tours, all 15 or so of us from FT were just left there doesn't know where to go, until we have to find our ways approach someone from UA.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Nov 17, 2012 at 10:48 am
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by snowed
To everyone at United, thank you! The DO was a fantastic event and am very grateful to everyone that made it possible and for all the fantastic people I met over the past 2 days.
Totally agree! ^^^

Nice to meet many of you!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I'm sitting at ORD, waiting for my flight home, and still really pumped about the awesome experiences that I had all week. I'll be honest - I had pretty warm fuzzy feelings about CO, the merger has been rough, and I wasn't sure this could top the wonderful time I had at CODOIV in 2009. Well, this has helped me get some warm fuzzy feelings for UA - the events they hosted at ORD were beyond my wildest dreams, their employees in every department (HQ and ORD) were friendly and welcoming and patient. I also have positive feelings about ORD, which is new.

The 787 charter was an amazing experience, it's a beautiful plane and I'm pleased to have seen it a few weeks before I expected to! I think the highlight of the charter, for me, was pulling up to the hangar at IAH and taking the airstairs off the plane. I suspect I won't have another chance to deplane a 787 that way (or if I do, it won't be for such a wonderful reason). Whenever anyone asked what we thought of the 787, the most common answer was "awesome," leading us to wonder if we'd been conditioned to say "awesome" automatically whenever we hear the numbers 787 (it was pointed out that we were probably supposed to say "game-changer" instead).

I was on the airport ops tour, which was a whirlwind of awesome stuff. I made it off the jetway and had a yellow vest and earplugs pushed into my hands, and minutes later we were down on the tarmac around B3 to see off an A319. We shadowed some of the jobs that the ground crew do before departure, I walked the wing as it pulled back (what a perspective!), and then we moved on to another departing plane. We saw the gigantic underground system that processes luggage for ORD, which is pretty extraordinary. I saw a lot of zipper pulls on the floor (and out on the tarmac), and considered picking up some replacements for all of mine that have disappeared over the years.

We went back up to B6 and joined a (former CO) service agent to see how SHARES works and help her close out a flight to PDX. She offered to let us play around in SHARES, but I didn't know what I wanted to do and we knew we couldn't make ourselves GS or do any upgrade shenanigans. The flight to PDX had a minor mechanical issue, and I imagine the sight of several incompetent-looking people in yellow vests wandering into their plane probably gave some passengers reason to worry.

We got a rush tour of the service center, then we went to lunch in a hangar and split up into groups to play with heavy machinery and tour the maintenance facilities. We pulled a 757 a few feet (and got t-shirts that brag about it). They blew out an evacuation slide while we ate, but no one was allowed to slide down. This part of the tour was probably the highlight of my week - I sprayed the de-icer, loaded freight cans with a deckloader, and drove a baggage belt up to a 757 mockup. I even braved some scary ladders that were certainly not built for 5'4" girls. I also enjoyed a full tour of a 757 with the engines open, and then the opportunity to look around inside and get pics in the cockpit. I've done it before, but it's always a little eerie and fun to be inside a totally empty commercial plane. And no, no one climbed inside the overhead bins this time (at least while I was watching).

Friday's Q&A sessions were interesting, and I'm excited about the ideas that the IT/eCommerce folks are apparently floating around for the new sites that launch in 2013. If even 50% of their ideas come to fruition, I think we could be looking at a really great user experience. I was also pleased to have an answer about using miles for the UA Club - it should be back, perhaps early next year. I told them that they had a 4/2013 deadline for my renewal. I think they thought that this over-entitled elite was joking.

The whole week was pretty sleep-deprived and crazy, but that was all well worth it. We were kept well-fed (and liquored up, with the warning that we wouldn't be able to play on our tours if we appeared drunk), though I willingly gave up half my lunch on Thursday to go play with the de-icer. I can eat anytime, but when will I ever get to go up in the boom and spray things?!

My video was shown on Friday right before Jeff's speech and Q&A, and we also got to see a montage of my competitors. I'd been told it had been a tough choice, and I can totally see why. I don't know what put my video above the guy who has relabeled all of his CO aircraft models... or the video with the talking plane... or the guy who has built some sort of model UA airfield... but I did. I'd love to meet these other geeks, though, because I think we probably have quite a bit in common. Oh, and UA folks said my video (and the montage) should be going up online soon, so you can finally see it.

Anyway, THANK YOU to UA for the amazing experience and for choosing me as the #AVgeekiest ("I know you had many choices in videos, and I thank you for choosing mine."), and to the MegaDO organizers for such a jam-packed fun week. I also met a handful of you guys, and I hope to fly with you again.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by snowed
Great meeting you too sir even if you outclassed me with your fancy duds on both days!

What a time, I actually almost didn't come because I was recently laid off and was hesitant to outlay the funds and time. I'm so glad I did. Thursday ranks as literally one of the best days I've ever had and Friday wasn't bad either. I saw old friends, made new ones, ate well, drank even better, and did things I never could have imagined doing (apparently I have a great gate annoucement voice). When I get home I'll have photos to post.

Seriously, thank you to United and to all the people who worked on this!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:54 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Wonderful of United to show us how things work on the inside so we get a different perspective on how catering is done, beverage carts are set up and in flight safety demos performed. You could see a lot of initiative went in and many of the employees and FT staff volunteered their time and should be recognized for that.

Now to put in my 2 miles..err cents. No real complaints, simply enhancements to make event better next time. I was hoping once we got our gate passes that we would get to meet the 787 arrival and possibly a brief walk through the plane. Instead after checking in, we got a tour of baggage lost and found and then left on our own for 2 hours to wait for Mega Do flight. Too bad a gate pass was not enough to get you into lounge to wait meanwhile either.

Also, Schaumburg is boring and remote. Still can't figure out why host hotel and buses go there. In the end like several others, had to take $35 taxi to airport from there because schedule originally showed O'Hare as drop off and pick up, but not after our respective tours. It would have helped to get a schedule of times where and when activities were planned too.

Once I learned evening reception was downtown and following morning at Willis Tower, I got to enjoy the extra sleep from staying downtown at Radisson Blu and could walk to UA offices. I felt the unnecessary schlepping between Schaumburg to downtown in evening rush hour and then again following morning in rush hour is a bit too much. Maybe they just wanted everyone to feel the experience of jet lag?

All in all, fantastic event with great finale with Jeff walking into a room full of frequent flyers at the Willis Tower Sky Deck. ^ ^

Will post pictures online, if you would like to see send me PM and I will forward link.

Last edited by idealflyer; Nov 17, 2012 at 11:57 am Reason: Because I can!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
... This was very interactive & based on questions. They told us what they were doing & listened to our input, both good & bad. ...
can any of the attendees shed some light on the discussions and future plans??
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by idealflyer

Now to put in my 2 miles..err cents. No real complaints, simply enhancements to make event better next time. I was hoping once we got our gate passes that we would get to meet the 787 arrival and possibly a brief walk through the plane. Instead after checking in, we got a tour of baggage lost and found and then left on our own for 2 hours to wait for Mega Do flight. Too bad a gate pass was not enough to get you into lounge to wait meanwhile either.
+1

Glad someone agree on what I felt.

Like checking in so early in the morning at ORD, I initially thought they would have some sorts of light breakfast for us, but no, we didn't get to have anything to eat or drink not until we were bussed to the hangar (I was doing the airport tour)

Then after all this I totally get what they were doing, as the SMD4 folks already get fed on the plane from IAH-ORD , and the previous night they had dinner in front of the 787 at IAH. So UA probably thinking they are not going to all it all over for us (FTers joined at ORD) since we didn't pay them for a dime, where SMD4 folks were paying for the whole tour.

Originally Posted by idealflyer

Also, Schaumburg is boring and remote. Still can't figure out why host hotel and buses go there. In the end like several others, had to take $35 taxi to airport from there because schedule originally showed O'Hare as drop off and pick up, but not after our respective tours. It would have helped to get a schedule of times where and when activities were planned too.

Once I learned evening reception was downtown and following morning at Willis Tower, I got to enjoy the extra sleep from staying downtown at Radisson Blu and could walk to UA offices. I felt the unnecessary schlepping between Schaumburg to downtown in evening rush hour and then again following morning in rush hour is a bit too much. Maybe they just wanted everyone to feel the experience of jet lag?
I wonder why too, I understand Hyatt is a SMD4 sponsor, but they could simply use Hyatt ORD or Hyatt downtown instead. I think the SMD4 participants actually had a list of schedules, as they clearly know when and where they are going. Just like when we left the airport tour, they just said the reception is at downtown, so I questioned what room in the Hyatt, then they mentioned it is in a room looking at the river ! The downtown Hyatt is huge, I know better there is a name of the room, as I had worked there for conventions. So when I got there it took me almost half hour to learn the event is at west tower villa ball room (I did ask the front desk and concerige, and they couldn't find the United event on their list !). Once again it proved we were like almost the unwanted children.

I did glad that I live in Chicago, so that I don't need to get bus back and fourth to Hyatt Schaumburg and downtown.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Nov 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I don't remember too much detail about future plans, but I'll start this and others can tack on.

IT/eCommerce:
-- working on serious ground up re-do of website, think they said back half of 2013, though I might be misremembering
-- just got additional funding to work on the upgrade system, in order to produce a unified approach that follows all the rules. Seems like that's at a pretty advanced stage.
-- they have some "really cool ideas" about how upgrades on LH are handled. Sounded more preliminary, and we didn't get a chance to follow up, but it was in the context of a discussion about better partner integration.

MP:
-- two suggestions from the crowd that they appeared to like:
1) more choice in application of MM benefits (e.g. allowing single people to chose UA club instead of spouse/partner sponsorship)
2) having MP statement line items include reference to record locators
-- opportunity to use miles to pay for UC seems destined to return
-- no change of rollover PQMs (pretty emphatic)
-- interesting discussion of W fare requirement that included pointing out how the dynamics have changed such that it's well above the bottom fare now. They said that issue is fully understood, and basically said this is not going away.

That's all I remember off the top of my head.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
(1) Sharon did expressed many useful comments, like she mentioned it took too long for a transaction to go through to buy a ticket on united.com, hence can't checkin online or select seats when you buy a last minute ticket or for awards. Whereas other travel sites can go thru the transaction in an instant, hence UA lost business on united.com

IT guys reply they will work on it.

(2) For MP session, many people complain about W fares cost way too much compare to several years ago when W was less expensive, only have S and T below it, now has S, T, L, K, G, so it jet up the price. Suggestions like since UA is offering copay for any fares with miles, why not offer people that pay W class like a copay, if people don't get upgraded, refund the money.

MP folks doesn't show any interest.

(3) Another big complain for MP session, UFC cost more for elite than non-elite.

MP folks couldn't explain, and Jeff also spoke about this question later in the Willis Tower reception, Jeff's reply was they need to make money at all opportunity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.