Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

November 2012 UA ORD DO (Post-Meeting Posts/Discussion/Reports/Etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

November 2012 UA ORD DO (Post-Meeting Posts/Discussion/Reports/Etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by unitedchicago
Are they switching the coffee I hope? What they serve now post Starbucks is awful!
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
No
Haven't you heard, Jeff likes it.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

More photos online now from the hangar tour and custoemr service bits.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8334795&type=1 or http://gallery.millerworks.net/photo...lbumKey=jMxhBV

And a montage video:
http://youtu.be/5szXCslmYaQ
Old Nov 18, 2012, 7:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My photo album is up on Facebook. If anyone wants to see it, PM me and I'll find a way to add you so you'll be able to check it out.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:21 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Great photos! Looked like a fun few days
Old Nov 18, 2012, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by zabes64
I can say I had a very interesting talk with Sharon, who was the lady handling the Boarding Passes. The one thing you may have noticed is the United Boarding passes were ALL the same Boarding pass, the only differences were the Seat description, the status description ie only 1K and Global Service will be listed in big letters on the top right on these boarding passes.
That isn't the case now. You can barely see the 1K status printed on the left and right hand sides of the boarding pass.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by halls120
That isn't the case now. You can barely see the 1K status printed on the left and right hand sides of the boarding pass.
This, along with the elimination of United FIRST or United Business for intl flights makes it tough to get past some of the line dragons in domestic and international airports.. Almost had an issue with this at LHR over the summer, as the agents could barely see the UA931J portion of my BP.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:27 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1K (2MM)
No it isnt the case now, it is the case of the Boarding Passes they asked us our opinion on.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 2:51 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
The MP folks were a total turn off by many, not to mention the boarding pass lady at the Hyatt reception was just the same. It showed quite a number of "improved" boarding pass on the posting board, but when many of us suggested different ideas, she totally ignore any comments and push whatever it is on the board. (I was suggesting howabout do it the PMUA way, have First Class (now Global First), Business Class (now BusinessFirst), and Economy Plus in bold letters printed on the top of the boarding pass, instead of tiny F/J/Y letters next to the flight numbers, there was a thread here about the same suggestion/complains as well). She had no idea what I was talking about, and when I asked her was she a PMUA or PMCO employee, she just simply said "oh it doesn't really matter, we are one company now", I had never seen her wrote down my suggestion, or if she ever said "thanks for your feedback".
I ended up talking with her towards the end of the evening, and it seemed like perhaps we'd worn her out a bit. She seemed to be the most comfortable talking with people one-on-one, and less enthusiastic about taking on a crowd all at once. I can see how her attitude turned off some people, but I also found her to be more openly realistic about what feedback could reasonably be integrated. She didn't just take every comment and say, "Great, I'll make a note about that!" She provided feedback on our feedback, some positive and some negative.

For instance, a number of criticisms that came up while I was there were about the font sizes and styles, and the location of things on the boarding passes. She agreed that there was room for improvement, but also pointed out that the kiosk printers are apparently limited to only three font sizes and only certain shapes/lines/objects, and that they want to be fairly consistent between the kiosk passes (with their limitations) and the website passes (which can look like just about anything). So then I understood that anything that we suggested that can't be done on a kiosk printer... isn't feedback that they can reasonably implement at this point.

I did learn an interesting tidbit from her, though - on kiosk-printed boarding passes, the unique ID of the printer should be printed somewhere on the pass. So if it prints poorly and cannot be scanned, she recommended emailing UA with the printer info, so they can ask the station to clean the printer heads or replace toner or whatever. Of course, I cannot find this printer number on any boarding pass in my possession, and I also question whether such a complaint will be useful with the multi-week turnaround in Customer Care emails. But it was a thing I learned, I guess.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by adastra
I did learn an interesting tidbit from her, though - on kiosk-printed boarding passes, the unique ID of the printer should be printed somewhere on the pass. So if it prints poorly and cannot be scanned, she recommended emailing UA with the printer info, so they can ask the station to clean the printer heads or replace toner or whatever. Of course, I cannot find this printer number on any boarding pass in my possession,
The station which printed the BP is embedded in the barcode data. It is definitely there.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
^^Thank god they now know the current boarding process must go! I hope they go through with this.
Maybe management "knows how the boarding process must go," but in reality, the boarding process remains a crap shoot.

My last 3 flights had 3 different variations.

IAD-SFO - people needing assistance; GS and military in uniform; Group 1

SFO-ORD - military in uniform, GS; everyone else

ORD-IAD - any military (no uniform required); GS; Group 1.

That said, sUA still knows how to board a 757 in 30 minutes.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: Airline FF: UA 1K, DL, US, AA, NW,
Originally Posted by FortFun
I don't remember too much detail about future plans, but I'll start this and others can tack on.

IT/eCommerce:
-- working on serious ground up re-do of website, think they said back half of 2013, though I might be misremembering
-- just got additional funding to work on the upgrade system, in order to produce a unified approach that follows all the rules. Seems like that's at a pretty advanced stage.
-- they have some "really cool ideas" about how upgrades on LH are handled. Sounded more preliminary, and we didn't get a chance to follow up, but it was in the context of a discussion about better partner integration.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Actually, if you had attended the Network session you would have a much better understanding of how it all works. It was one of THE best sessions of the entire Do.

Cheers.
Thanks to all for the reports from this first United DO.

To any that did attend the Network session -
What was the discussion regarding changes to the Upgrade processing system and any predictions for rollout?

Thanks again to all who attended and took the time to post their recollections.

Last edited by hhmorgan; Nov 19, 2012 at 7:50 am Reason: Add FortFun's original quote regarding add'l funding upgrade system
Old Nov 19, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by hhmorgan
Thanks to all for the reports from this first United DO.

To any that did attend the Network session -
What was the discussion regarding changes to the Upgrade processing system and any predictions for rollout?

Thanks again to all who attended and took the time to post their recollections.
Network session focused on how to maximize revenue per flight, determining new routes, which planes to fly where, when, etc. It didn't discuss upgrade processing.

The IT/eCommerce team said the Upgrade Processing is one of the top priorities right now, and they just received funding to improve the systems. There are at least 4 systems that impact how upgrades and buy-ups to F occur and the plan is to get them all in sync with one another so the published business rules are followed. This means that things like TOD should give way to a balanced buy-up offer across all passengers (elite and non-elite) and then CPU should work as advertised. There are separate pieces to this and they will be rolled out on a phased approach as each component is ready for deployment. So rather than one big change, there will be several changes deployed over the next year to get everything right.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 8:51 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Maybe management "knows how the boarding process must go," but in reality, the boarding process remains a crap shoot.

Option 1 (The IAD-SFO) is how I do it...I hope I am doing it right!

And I can board a 757 in 30 min, but cannot board a 737 in that time. Takes way longer than that to tag 50% of all bags on th aircraft!

Last edited by fastair; Nov 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm Reason: Typo. Changed 2nd 757 to 737
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:41 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zabes64
No it isnt the case now, it is the case of the Boarding Passes they asked us our opinion on.
Those are the current boarding passes-- the switch was Wednesday morning of last week for web boarding passes. Just 5 minutes ago I printed a boarding pass that says Global Services in a very large font on the right side of the BP, below Premier Access, but about the same size.

#1 is the most correct (see below). People do have their own definitions of "needing assistance"-- the technical group description is "customers who have requested physical assistance and those customers with disabilities". "Requested assistance" is clearly someone with an appropriate SSR or someone who has told the GA about a special boarding need in advance of the boarding process

https://hub.united.com/en-us/News/Co...g-process.aspx

What I find truly unaceptable is lumping GF into group 1 with 1K and BF. I am now trying to recall any experience I have had with any other carrier in 3-cabin F where F and J were treated the exact same way for boarding . . . and I'm coming up empty. Why not just put up a neon sign that says "we don't value our GF passengers' business" in the gate area, because that's what it is probably like trying to board with the 50++ other people in group 1 on a 747.

-------

It was pointed out that "uniformed military personnel" and "military personnel in uniform" are two different things, and that might be responsible for some confusion. That came up in Willis Tower on the second day. I don't know what the solution will be, but UA now knows (in theory) that the former term might cause confustion.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pnoeric
Ah-- I searched for it (really!) and didn't find it. Things have a tendency to get buried in big threads.

By calling it out here, the video is surfaced for all those folks here who didn't do the Do, and probably are not following that thread as a result. It's good stuff for everyone, not just Do attendees.
Ok, I'll bite. What did he say that would be of interest to FTers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.