Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Airlines' Boarding Process (2012)" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Edit: So I am the first post for the 2012 Thread. Below are the finalized details (in both text and image form) for the New United Boarding Process. Please note that there are some confusion with GAs and not all boarding procedures are implemented uniformly.

Customers who have requested physical assistance and those customers with disabilities are invited to board the aircraft first.

Pre-boarding comes next. This group includes uniformed military personnel and Global ServicesSM members.

After pre-boarding is complete, listen for your boarding group number to be called. To get an idea of what your group number will be, here’s the list for aircraft with two cabins — organized by Premier Access member level.

Group 1 – Premier Access boarding
o Premier® 1K®
o United First® (This is referred to as United Global First® on aircraft with three cabins on certain international routes.)

Note: On aircraft with three cabins, United Business® members also board in this group. (United Business® is referred to as United BusinessFirst® on certain international routes.)

Group 2 – Premier Access boarding
o Premier® Platinum
o Premier® Gold
o Star Alliance Gold

Group 3 – Premier Access boarding
o Premier® Silver
o Star Alliance Silver
o Presidential Plus℠ Card members
o MileagePlus® Club Card members

Group 4 – Priority boarding
o MileagePlus® Explorer Card members
o OnePass® Plus Card members

At this time, the gate agent will invite families with infants or with children who are under the age of 4 to board the aircraft.

Groups 5, 6, 7 – General boarding

Tip: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both can board
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone, Thank you for all of your feedback regarding our recent changes to the boarding process. Let there be no question - we are listening to you and our co-workers, and will continue to make changes to our business as a direct result. The new boarding process we recently rolled out will be one of those examples.

Here’s what we’re doing, starting next week…
  1. We’re reinstating zone boarding on the United side. Beginning Jun. 8, United will return to boarding by zones. Among other things, this should directly improve the experience for the folks who purchase Economy Plus by ensuring they aren’t in the last boarding group. In addition, we’ve found a way for our combined airline to support zone boarding, and expect to introduce zone boarding to Continental in the coming year.

2. We’re simplifying the announcements. Also on Jun. 8, we’ll be adjusting our announcements to be simpler, shorter, and create better separation throughout the Elite boarding process. While all premier customers will continue to use the carpeted lane, we intend to manage this better through these new announcements. Uniformed Military and Global Services members will be invited to board as part of the preliminary announcement. Then we will board First Class along with 1K and Platinum members, followed by Business Class (on three-cabin aircraft), followed by Premier Executive and Gold members, followed by Premier and Silver members.
Also in the coming months, we’ll be in the field testing some concepts aimed at further reducing congestion on the carpet during Elite boarding. We’re committed to making this process work, and we hear you loud and clear.

Thanks as always for your feedback.

Scott O’Leary
Managing Director, Customer Solutions
United Airlines
Anyone have any status updates on getting zoned boarding for CO?

Last edited by edcho; May 1, 2012 at 11:59 am
Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by edcho
Anyone have any status updates on getting zoned boarding for CO?
And has anyone let the GAs know that this is how boarding should work? Was on a flight from ORD-DFW a few weeks ago, GA called GS, First Class then anyone premier or higher. On a flight Monday morning at 6:30? 90% of the plane was elite. It was absurd, and a complete waste of time.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Izz24703
And has anyone let the GAs know that this is how boarding should work? Was on a flight from ORD-DFW a few weeks ago, GA called GS, First Class then anyone premier or higher. On a flight Monday morning at 6:30? 90% of the plane was elite. It was absurd, and a complete waste of time.
Which is why the post June 8th process, coupled with opening the carpet to all elites, has ruined what used to work so very well.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:01 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Izz24703
Originally Posted by halls120
Which is why the post June 8th process, coupled with opening the carpet to all elites, has ruined what used to work so very well.
This morning on UA 248 SFO-SAN the GA called for military and PP+ to early board via the non-elite entry lane. I quit counting at 30, think there were more military than elite frequent flyers. I suppose not surprising on the first flight to San Diego after a long holiday weekend. Definitely the inverse of what Izz24703 was describing in terms of ratios. Did think it odd to have the GA ask for PP+ to board before First, GS & 1K.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
On SFO-PDX last week, the GA announced that F was boarding first (it apparently "was requested by the crew", which is bizarre), and a GS (saw his BP) with a +1 had a fit - looks like it was because he was in Y.

Oh for simpler days...
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Data point concerning the morning flight to SAN on 3 Jan.

The last 2 flights for the night SFO-SAN were canceled due to fog in SAN on 2 Jan. This may explain the large number military on the flight.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 4:30 am

What's with this awful boarding process?

Leaving DCA now and it took the agent many minutes trying to explain this convoluted boarding process. Why do military in uniform go before first class and global services? Why is this such a convoluted horrible process that seems to come up with a TON of groups? It's too complicated! End the insanity!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
I prefer boarding groups to boarding rows, which I believe we temporarily discovered, isn't the fastest or most popular way to load a United Airlines plane.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: Onepass
I dont mind Military boarding infront of me, I dont care how many miles/status I accumulate.

I flew out throuh IAH/EWR/IAD last week and never noticed this new method, it was business as usual. Military-First Class-1K or Platinum-Rows
Old Jan 16, 2012, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
Peter Greenberg mentioned the long boarding announcements in one of his podcasts. They should simplify it, because the poor GA has to announce the whole laundry list. Some passengers get confused, and you end up with a crowd of people jockeying for position in front of the gate. Some airports are able to place Premier Access lines at a 90 angle to the regular line, so one doesn't need to claw through a wall of bewildered flyers.

Also +1 regarding military. I'll let them board with me/in front of me anytime.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by jasondc
Leaving DCA now and it took the agent many minutes trying to explain this convoluted boarding process. Why do military in uniform go before first class and global services? Why is this such a convoluted horrible process that seems to come up with a TON of groups? It's too complicated! End the insanity!
I have no problem with the boarding process. When you're called, board, what's the issue?

Last edited by Doug 1029; Jan 16, 2012 at 6:31 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 16, 2012, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Doug 1029
I have no problem with the boarding process. When you're called, board, what's the issue?
Because it is much more chaotic than it used to be and needs to be. United's pre-June 2011 boarding process was a pretty efficient process. It now most resembles a rugby scrum.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:14 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
Because it is much more chaotic than it used to be and needs to be. United's pre-June 2011 boarding process was a pretty efficient process. It now most resembles a rugby scrum.
And it's transformed an orderly queuing into that confused scrum. Previously, F, 1K, and GS pax knew they could line up on the red carpet, and 1P & *G knew they could line up on the regular carpet.

Now, no one seems quite able to commit to lining up on either. 1K/F/GS hang back so as not to be scolded by the GA for not letting military through first. 1Ks hang back unsure whether they'll be scolded for lining up before GS or F. F hang back, unsure whether they'll be called first or after GS. 1Ks push forward for fear the GA goes straight from "Military and GS" to "All elites" (I've had that happen SEVERAL times of late ).

And before the inevitable, "It's a problem with consistency by the UA GAs," from the COol Ade drinkers, the sanctity of the red carpet before would have eliminated 99% of the problem.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:29 am

Well

Besides that, I just switched to flying united. I was on AA before and DL before that. I've never seen such crowds of people jockeying for position so far before departure. It just seems confused and disorderly.

Originally Posted by Rmatthb
I dont mind Military boarding infront of me, I dont care how many miles/status I accumulate.

I flew out throuh IAH/EWR/IAD last week and never noticed this new method, it was business as usual. Military-First Class-1K or Platinum-Rows

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 16, 2012 at 1:58 pm Reason: OMNI
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jasondc
Are you serious? They deserve to go in front of you! Because you are 1K you deserve to board in front of them? Whats the problem? They are usually in the back of the plane, they are not taking bin space! You really cant wait for a few minutes? You really need to be first on the airplane for juice or water? Are you serious? Show some respect to them and this great country that they help protect!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.