Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
Print Wikipost

Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

I made a change to an itinerary and the status of my requested (but as yet unconfirmed) upgrades changed from "Upgrade Requested" with the "up-arrow" graphic to "(R class requested)" The graphic is gone and now just the parenthetical is listed.

The mouse-over text changed from:

"Upgrade to United Business for this flight requested using a Global Premier Upgrade."

to

"You are confirmed in W class on this flight and have requested a change to R class. You will be automatically confirmed on this flight if space in your requested class (R) becomes available."

Why the difference (and most importantly, what impact on my upgrade)?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
there is no difference, GPUs clear into R space.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

While I would love to believe that there truly is no difference, when it comes to the way upgrades have recently been processed, differences like this would seem that they have some reason/rationale behind them.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
there is no difference, GPUs clear into R space.
How do you know there is no difference?

And, if there is no difference, then why do some PAX get one message and other PAX get the other message?

If there is no difference, then what set of circumstances causes the system to display one or the other of these two messages?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, GlobalEntry, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Presidents Club
I have this difference within the same reservation... Is it because its below a W fare?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K: since 2010
Originally Posted by UA840
I made a change to an itinerary and the status of my requested (but as yet unconfirmed) upgrades changed from "Upgrade Requested" with the "up-arrow" graphic to "(R class requested)"
Why the difference (and most importantly, what impact on my upgrade)?
I agree that this is strange. I have an GPU request (from W class) pending for more than a month and it is still showing as an upgrade arrow. Did the total number of GPUs available in your account increase to show that a GPU was returned when they made that change? If so, then there is some kind of "difference" going on, and you should call 1K reservations. If not, and the GPU is still applied for an upgrade, then I think that you are OK.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k 2MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Premier Platinum
Same with RPU

I have had the same thing happen to one of my reservations. Different legs show the requested upgrade in each of the ways described above. Both were requested using a RPU not GPU.

PDX1K
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA840
While I would love to believe that there truly is no difference, when it comes to the way upgrades have recently been processed, differences like this would seem that they have some reason/rationale behind them.
Just to expand on this line of thinking, maybe we would understand more about why this apparent display glitch happens if we understood what happened in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19405150-post54.html.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: United 1k (finally!), Hyatt Diamond
This happened to me and the GPUs were not deducted. Currently on hold as the agent tries to understand what happened.

After about an hour on hold, the agent with IT managed to pull the certificates and the reservation is saying "Upgrade Waitlisted" vs. "R class requested".

She wasn't very clear, but my guess is this seems the later happens when the system burps and doesn't correctly associate a GPU/RPU with a reservation, but knows it wants to move a ticket into R.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 2, 2012 at 9:20 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 3, 2012, 3:12 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
For me, the difference seems to be between upgrading with an RPU (upgrade requested) and with miles (R class requested), in both cases for a passenger other than myself who I am attempting to upgrade on four segments (two have cleared so far).
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
For me, the difference seems to be between upgrading with an RPU (upgrade requested) and with miles (R class requested), in both cases for a passenger other than myself who I am attempting to upgrade on four segments (two have cleared so far).
Don't think its a difference between RPU/GPU and miles. For me, my request using miles uses the seemingly more common upgrade requested.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonor Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by NCommander
This happened to me and the GPUs were not deducted. Currently on hold as the agent tries to understand what happened.

After about an hour on hold, the agent with IT managed to pull the certificates and the reservation is saying "Upgrade Waitlisted" vs. "R class requested".

She wasn't very clear, but my guess is this seems the later happens when the system burps and doesn't correctly associate a GPU/RPU with a reservation, but knows it wants to move a ticket into R.
So if this happens, do you get a free pass on upgrade or you will be deprioritized on the waitlist?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by epicurus
So if this happens, do you get a free pass on upgrade or you will be deprioritized on the waitlist?
At checkin you will need to be able to provide the upgrade instrument, if you have none, you will be downgraded (and igf luck in a nice middle seat in E-). That's why I track my upgrade instruments and know the true state of the situation.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baertracks
I agree that this is strange. I have an GPU request (from W class) pending for more than a month and it is still showing as an upgrade arrow. Did the total number of GPUs available in your account increase to show that a GPU was returned when they made that change? If so, then there is some kind of "difference" going on, and you should call 1K reservations. If not, and the GPU is still applied for an upgrade, then I think that you are OK.
When I called to make the change the agent said she would have to pull the GPU and re-apply it to the reservation. Initially, the domestic leg put me on the CPU u/g list with the international segment remaining "up arrow." Once she pulled the GPU and (allegedly) reapplied it, the "up arrow" went away and left me with "R class requested" for both segments (domestic and international).
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:57 am
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
Any more experience with this? Mine is showing R class requested for Fridays SEA-IAD leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.