Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Farelock
Preserve your fare and your peace of mind.FareLock℠ lets you hold your reserved fare and complete the purchase of your itinerary at a later time. Enjoy peace of mind that the price of your itinerary won't go up and that the flight won't sell out while you take your time with your purchase. Available only through united.com, the United app and the Customer Contact Center, FareLock allows you to reserve an itinerary and then complete your purchase later.

Itineraries can be held with FareLock for your choice of either three, seven or 14 days. The price of your itinerary is guaranteed during the hold period, until you decide to complete your purchase.
A FareLock is a reservation for space pending ticketing.

Why is farelock not offered at times?
FareLock is available on select flights operated by United and United Express (Star Alliance® flights and marketed codeshare flights are not eligible).
Also, only fares that would be valid at the future purchase time, such as due to advance purchase (AP) requirements, can be farelocked. So if looking at 21 day AP ticket, 22 days before the applicable segment neither a 3 day or 7 day farelock will be available.

FareLock is available on flights operated by United and United Express® only, and the charge is per reservation. FareLock is also offered for both Saver and Everyday Award tickets on United- and United Express-operated flights.

Farelock fees are not refunded even under the 24 hour ticket cancellation rule.

Fareock reservations cannot be changed until after you have purchased the reservation.

If you do not purchase your ticket before your Farelock period expires, your reservation will be canceled unless you have selected the automatic purchase option. The 24 hour cancellation clock does not start until the actual purchase is made.

Caveats

Per the CoC, UA reserves the right to cancel reservations made for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin or destination cities. There have been multiple reports of UA exercising this option to cancel duplicate FareLock segments conflicting with either another FareLock reservation or with a ticketed reservation, often making the remainder of the FareLock (if any) unticketable. Generally, unticketed segments will be canceled over ticketed segments, and older bookings will be canceled over more recent bookings if ticket status is identical. UA does not automatically refund the FareLock service charge if this happens, but it is possible to call in and ask for the refund.

You can purchase your Farelock online using Payment methods (credit card, for example), and there's an option button for CERTIFICATES. Note that this seems to only allow ETC and not FFC (future flight credit vs. "certificate" which have a 10-digit number). You *may* be able to call United and have an agent convert your FFC into an ETC and then apply that to the Farelock so you can purchase over the phone, but this is not guaranteed.

Archive thread: Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Farelock - Questions/Answers/Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 6:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
Can you apply PlusPoints to a Farelock if there is confirmed space?
You have to be ticketed to request an upgrade.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:57 am

I am waiting for my MP Explorer card to come in the mail. Can I purchase a new reservation with Farelock on a different card, and then pay for the reservation with my MP Explorer card before the Farelock period expires?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 8:03 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by helvetica
I am waiting for my MP Explorer card to come in the mail. Can I purchase a new reservation with Farelock on a different card, and then pay for the reservation with my MP Explorer card before the Farelock period expires?
I believe so. You should be able to use any credit card to purchase the reservation, not just the one you used to farelock the flight.

Using farelock does preclude you from using ecerts and travelbank, as well as PayPal, as part of the final payment, though, IIRC.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
I believe so. You should be able to use any credit card to purchase the reservation, not just the one you used to farelock the flight.

Using farelock does preclude you from using ecerts and travelbank, as well as PayPal, as part of the final payment, though, IIRC.
well, actually, I’ve seen the ‘United payment types not available’ when trying to purchase a farelocked itinerary before, but I’m almost certain it was a bug.

yes, you can pay for farelock with 1 card, and purchase the itinerary with another card. Just make sure not to have the farelock auto-purchase at the end (there’s a checkbox to allow that). Or, make sure you purchase manually before farelock expires where you should be able to use the payment method of your choice.
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:31 pm
Suspended

Are there any safe ways to have two illogical Farelocks in place? With AA (at least in the old days), if you didn’t add your FF #, the sweeps wouldn’t catch multiple holds (different from Farelock in that you didn’t pay and it was only for 24 hours). Is the UA system more sophisticated?

In others words if I put a ticket on my account on Farelock from XXX-YYY on Day 1, returning on Day 5 with all more normal information and then did another one without my middle name, without my FF number, with a different phone and email from XXX-YYY on Day 2, returning on Day 6 - would the system catch it?
Old Feb 1, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Originally Posted by KSVVZ2015
Are there any safe ways to have two illogical Farelocks in place? With AA (at least in the old days), if you didn’t add your FF #, the sweeps wouldn’t catch multiple holds (different from Farelock in that you didn’t pay and it was only for 24 hours). Is the UA system more sophisticated?

In others words if I put a ticket on my account on Farelock from XXX-YYY on Day 1, returning on Day 5 with all more normal information and then did another one without my middle name, without my FF number, with a different phone and email from XXX-YYY on Day 2, returning on Day 6 - would the system catch it?
You can probably just do that with your real information. They'll only cancel it if it's literally impossible to fly it; e.g. if you could fly XXX-YYY on Day 1, immediately hop on a private jet back to XXX, and fly the second ticket on Day 2, they'll let you keep it. It's when you literally can't be on the same flight at the same time ( XXX-YYY at 9am, and again at 10am) that they cancel it.

All that said, if you change your contact info, I don't think they'd catch it even if it was truly impossible. I'd definitely use a different credit card, with a different billing address, in addition to new email, etc.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Angry Can a Farelocked airfare be purchased using ETC?

Good afternoon everyone,

I found a good airfare SFO-EWR-OPO r/t in Business class last week for travel in July and I put a Fare Lock on it to determine if it would work for our needs. I called to purchase it today using travel credits that I accumulated due to several Covid canceled trips. (I called because I've had bad experiences making changes on the app in the past and I had a gut feeling that this could go wrong if I tried.) The reservations agent advised me that I couldn't use travel credits to purchase an airfare on a Fare Lock which seems crazy to me. She told me that I can only use a credit card for itineraries that are held by Fare Lock. There was also a schedule change since I purchased the Fare Lock, so she asked me if I would like her to deal with the schedule change. I told her no thank you, as I had to think about whether or not I would need the trip if I couldn't use my credits. I still have 3 days left on the 14 day Fare Lock and the original fare is not available via EWR any more. Similar fares are available via partner airlines but I won't be able to use the ETCs.

Is the agent correct about this, or was I right to hang up and try calling again later?

Thank you.

misterfuss

Last edited by misterfuss; Apr 30, 2021 at 11:58 pm Reason: Changed destination to OPO vs. LIS
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I don’t believe she was correct. But if you still reach a dead end, you can always take your credit and purchase a refundable United ticket. Then take the new ticket and use it toward the flights with partners at the available fare.
misterfuss likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
I had the same surprise just three days ago. I had a plain-vanilla domestic RT on Fare Lock, and went online to purchase it. I was going to use up an ETC for part of the payment, but there was no option to do so. CC only. I was pretty surprised, and annoyed. Didn't bother calling in. I can't believe this is a restriction, it seems really ridiculous
misterfuss likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
ETCs can be used for flight purchases BUT not other fees, such as farelock fee, bag fees, in the old days - change fees, UC membership fee, ....

However, the actual flight purchase, ETCs should work
misterfuss likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 14, 2021 at 3:18 pm
Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
However, the actual flight purchase, ETCs should work
As I mentioned above, it was not even an option on the purchase screen. CC only (and PayPal or whatever that option is). That seems to coincide with what the OP was told on the phone.
misterfuss likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:00 pm

An update to my situation: Yesterday evening, I decided to ask @UNITED on Twitter if purchasing a Fare Locked airfare using TCVAs was possible and the answer was yes, I "should" be able to enter them in the Form of Payment. I replied back that it was not an option and supplied a screenshot of the same. The Twitter agent then offered to purchase it on my behalf using my TCVAs. The agent got back in touch several times advising me that they were still working on the reservation. All told, it was about 3 hours of back and forth on Twitter when I was told it was all done. I filled out the survey at the end praising the agent because it was better than sitting on hold while various people got involved.

Unfortunately, it isn't completely resolved at this time. Almost 24 hours later I see that my reservation is indicating "Your purchase is confirmed and your reservation is processing.
We'll email you when your reservation has been ticketed." on the website and showing as still Fare Locked on the mobile app. I plan on checking back in a few hours to see if the status changes. Wish me luck!
jsloan and uanj like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by misterfuss
An update to my situation: Yesterday evening, I decided to ask @UNITED on Twitter if purchasing a Fare Locked airfare using TCVAs was possible and the answer was yes, I "should" be able to enter them in the Form of Payment. I replied back that it was not an option and supplied a screenshot of the same. The Twitter agent then offered to purchase it on my behalf using my TCVAs. The agent got back in touch several times advising me that they were still working on the reservation. All told, it was about 3 hours of back and forth on Twitter when I was told it was all done. I filled out the survey at the end praising the agent because it was better than sitting on hold while various people got involved.

Unfortunately, it isn't completely resolved at this time. Almost 24 hours later I see that my reservation is indicating "Your purchase is confirmed and your reservation is processing.
We'll email you when your reservation has been ticketed." on the website and showing as still Fare Locked on the mobile app. I plan on checking back in a few hours to see if the status changes. Wish me luck!
Your Reservation is most likely in a manual ticketing queue that will require the Reissues Team to take a look at.
SPN Lifer and misterfuss like this.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 4:52 am

Programs: UA:1K 0.81M
Originally Posted by higher_flyer
As I mentioned above, it was not even an option on the purchase screen. CC only (and PayPal or whatever that option is). That seems to coincide with what the OP was told on the phone.
I was able to do it about six weeks ago on the website. Even used multiple credits.
Old Apr 16, 2021, 2:20 pm

Ticket finally shows purchased today.

Originally Posted by 50Kthehardway
I was able to do it about six weeks ago on the website. Even used multiple credits.
I was going to contact United last night about the ticket not showing ticketed, but decided to sleep on it since I had 2 days left on the Fare Lock. This morning I see that my itinerary has been ticketed and it now shows up in My Trips.

Just to clarify that I definitely was NOT given the opportunity to apply travel credits when I went to purchase the itinerary. I was only offered Credit/Debit card or PayPal.

I wanted to use my Travel Credits to book UA/UAX travel and not deal with the workarounds that were suggested (although I appreciate the suggestions!)

Thanks for everyone's input!
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.